• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Reimagined

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actually liked Mockingjay part 1 and 2, (not as much as the first two movies, though) I only felt that it was unnecessary to have two movies for its story, as it was filled with boring scenes. So I'm editing it into a single movie of under 3 hours:

1. I didn't like the overemphasis on the propaganda-angle, especially with that producer always insisting on repeating camera takes for better effect. It was annoying, so I removed or considerably toned it down.

2. I felt there was too much sitting around, so that's reduced.

3. The ending is a bit changed, the pivotal moment when Katnis shoots her arrow is changed for more emotional impact. And before that I removed Coin suggesting to have a new hunger games. For me it was a WTF-moment, the rebels fought so long against the regime and then Coin would actually continue its most symbolic method of repression? So this is gone. The discussion they have is now only about the executions.

4. I kept Katnis' singing, the thing with the roses, as well as the cat, and the very end is a happy ending here, showing Katnis having a baby, so if you didn't like those elements, this is not the edit for you. But luckily jerick made an edit for Mockingjay as well, where those elements are gone, so you can easily choose.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can we please stop using the ellipse at the end of your thread titles? You're making it difficult on me when fixing IFDB links. Pllllleeeeaaaassssseeeeee. :)

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Can we please stop using the ellipse at the end of your thread titles? You're making it difficult on me when fixing IFDB links. Pllllleeeeaaaassssseeeeee. :)

Lol, better now?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
NewSpock said:
Q2 said:

Lol, better now?

Much. Thank you!

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've finished the edit, but it's a bit longer than projected, without the end-credits it's exactly 3 hours and three minutes long. After the previewing and the final polishing, it can hopefully be released in about two or three weeks. :)

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The previewing went well, only little details need to be improved and a little bit of polishing here and there.

What I've wondered: Why do they release this as a two-parter? Of course they can earn money twice, both in cinema and regarding bluray/dvd-sales, but from an artistic/story/movie point of view they can only lose. The first part has all the interesting exposition and the character-building, but lacking the climax, and the second part having the action and the resolution, lacks the build-up.

Even if the separation were merely a week, the audience would lose the emotional connection, after a year most would probably also forget many important plot elements. 

Yes, three hours might be a bit much, but when the movie is good, I think the audience gets so invested and engaged that three hours aren't so long after all. 

And maybe they might make more money with the artificial separation, but in the long run all they achieve is to create the impression that these were two mediocre movies (if not bad movies), even though the same story told as a single movie could have been a pretty good and powerful movie. Is that worth it?

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ This. Just watched part 2 last night (finally) and I couldn't for the life of me remember part 1. Like at all. So I was always playing catch up with part 2. It would've been much, much stronger as 1 movie.
Part 1 was actually forgettable - I could remember Catching Fire - but not Mockingjay part 1! Probably because, as you point out NS, it was character building but with no climax or resolution. 
Yes, they made two mediocre movies instead of one great one.

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
NewSpock said:
And maybe they might make more money with the artificial separation, but in the long run all they achieve is to create the impression that these were two mediocre movies (if not bad movies), even though the same story told as a single movie could have been a pretty good and powerful movie. Is that worth it?

Yes. Yes it is. Dolla' dolla' bill, y'all.

And this is why we fanedit.

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is a cover for it:

MgcWZWt.jpg

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know, but I've never heard of that site.  Try a more common one.  I use imugr.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's not a link to an image file. There is no image file extension in the link like .jpg .png .gif etc. The forum software well allow you to embed an image file, not a web page.

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks addiesin and TV's Frink for the advice,

I've changed to imugr now, it works now. :)

Which version is better, the one above or one of the following two?

K3Gbz5e.jpg

6Q2JyLY.jpg

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since nobody weighed in with a preference I took the liberty to choose the latest variant for the cover and submitted the edit to the IFDb. :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit released and thread Moved.

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:

Thanks for the publishing on IFDb. There is only one problem, under the section "Art work", the full cover seems to be missing.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
NewSpock said:
TM2YC said:

Thanks for the publishing on IFDb. There is only one problem, under the section "Art work", the full cover seems to be missing.

Yes sorry for the delay, I'm working on that.

Top Bottom