• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

HP and the Deathly Hallows Combined/Extended and HBP Color Corrected

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After having completed all of the HP extended editions, I have started work on a combined version of the two Deathly Hallows films into one massive extended version. I wanted to break this project off into its own thread to keep it separate from the original EE project.

My thought with this project is to have 2 different versions to choose from. With the tweaks that I made to the original DH films to increase the exposure, I have gotten feedback that some users really like the darker feel as opposed to a brighter movie. I've also received feedback that some users like the brighter version because it is easier to view and see everything that is going on. To cover both camps, my plan is to release a version of each, the original dark version and a brighter color-graded version. I will post videos for comparison of the two once I am to the point of being able to share them.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you make these into discs, they'll have to be broken up correct? Will you break them at their natural breaking spots?

Any movie over 3 hours is rough to sit through, imho.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
If you make these into discs, they'll have to be broken up correct? Will you break them at their natural breaking spots?

Any movie over 3 hours is rough to sit through, imho.

^ Completely agreed. Honestly, I don't see a point in combining them, unless you are heavily condensing them to one feature length film (< 3 hours).

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My reasoning to do 1 film is due to there being 1 book. While I know the movie will be long, it is 1 story. I have never been a fan of the Part 1/Part 2 process with a lot of recent movies. When I go through an HP marathon, I can watch one movie after another. This combination would be for those times where the someone would want to watch the entire story without having a set of credits in between.

I'm sorry in advance if this isn't a film everyone else wants. If it isn't wanted, I'll just stop and keep it for my own collection.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nah, always do fanedits for your own personal reasons, never to please anyone else. I'm sure someone here wants the same experience you do, so please do share it.

jackbeyer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd be very interested in having an extended/combined Deathly Hallows! I'll be watching out for it!

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have been working on a color graded version to make the movie easier to see for those of us that think the originals are too dark. I have put together some brief clips showing the original film vs. the color grade that I have applied. Looking for feedback.

Last edited:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's way too early for all this light....jk ;)
Color grade looks good to me.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mmm... impressive what you’ve done there, JJ. Have you thought about making sure it doesn’t look oversaturated?

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That has been the real trick, especially in the later scenes. I plan on going through the whole movie during the holiday break and doing some fine tuning. This was an initial pass with a LUT to try to bring the colors up some. I had tried something else previously, but it introduced a lot of grain to the picture, which wasn't good.

I'm testing some things on Half-Blood Prince too. That movie is brutal to try to get color back in since everything is so muted and brown/green.

brettd92

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's looking great so far, JJ. Shame I never got around to doing Part 2 myself. I also attempted Half Blood Prince last year too, definitely required more work than I was hoping to put in when I experimented. lol

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My combined and extended Deathly Hallows edit is nearly completed. I just need to finish captions and do a final viewing. I hope to release it sometime over the 4th of July week. I will also be releasing my Half-Blood Prince color-corrected version as well.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hello jjpotter. i read through the thread and i realize it's been a while so i just wanted to check something:

is this deathly hallows version, the one huge movie version, the color corrected one, going to have anything taken out of it? any of the scenes removed or anything like that? and are you still sticking to the original plan of combining both extended editions you made?

and for the color corrected half blood prince, is that one also the extended edition? 

thank you so much for your work! i'm extremely interested in both projects cited above.

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The DH version will come in 2 "flavors", an original and a color corrected. Both films will be identical except for the color grading. No scenes have been removed, but a couple have been relocated. Everything from the original movies and all of the deleted scenes that I added back in for my extended editions are included. The 2 main scenes that have been moved are the scene with Snape overlooking the students marching at Hogwarts (this is moved earlier in the film and the background music is changed) and where Voldemort gets the elder wand (this is moved to allow for a smooth transition from Dobby being buried to the scenes at Shell cottage). The final movie is over 4 hours 30 minutes. I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea due to length, but for a hardcore HP fan it hopefully will be.

The Half-Blood Prince color corrected version will be the same extended edition as I put out previously, only with footage color corrected to make it less green/brown.

I've put some color corrected videos on my Vimeo channel. I plan on putting a couple of preview clips of the DH cuts this weekend.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
both will definitely become my go-to versions! thanks for the info!

greatnoggini

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very exciting. This will definitely be my go-to version when marathoning. Saves switching discs over and the color correction looks superb!

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Below is an album showing the 3 main edits that were done to combine the 2 films together.

Edit #1: Moved scene of Snape looking over Hogwarts to earlier in the DH1 portion of the film. This establishes him as the new headmaster. It also goes along with the various other scenes around it (Death Eaters looking for Harry, a Ministry official searching the Grainger's home).

Edit #2: Moved where Voldemort gets the Elder Wand to between when the three are captured in the woods and when they are delivered to Malfoy Manor. The time of day/skylines seems to match better than leaving it after Dobby dies. It also allows for a straight story between Malfoy Manor, the death and burial of Dobby, and the scenes at Shell Cottage. This edit has been the most controversial of the ones I made. Some of the test viewers did not like Voldemort finding the wand so much earlier. I felt it was necessary to make the story less disjointed.

Edit #3: Blending of the scenes where Dobby dies, is buried, and the story transitions to Shell Cottage. I felt this was the best way to complete the blending of movies 1 and 2 together.

https://vimeo.com/album/5265683

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ those transitions were all super smooth, and I like the placement of the wand retrieval, actually. It's a low point for the heroes. Great job!

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Happy 4th of July! It is with great pleasure I announce the release of the Half-Blood Prince Extended Edition (Color Corrected Version), the combined Deathly Hallows Extended Edition and DH Extended Edition (Color Corrected Version).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit now on ifdb. Thread moved.

Top Bottom