• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

How to smooth over audio

Talgus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am fairly new to editing and my main issue so far is that I know how to cut the scenes together but I just for the life of me can't smooth the audio over so the cut appears to be super abrupt. What tricks are there to smoothing audio over?

Crossfading the audio is often the essential approach. Some times it's just a few frames worth, other times it's a few seconds. You'll also want to make sure that the music is still on beat. That's one of the most jarring things, audio wise. What NLE are you using?

Look up L-Cut and J-Cut, I primarily use those with a Constant Power transition. Sometimes in complicated scene transitions you'll need to add a second overlapping track, and use exponential fades instead, but that's a pretty rare situation in my experience, most audio transitions can be done smoothly on one track. If there's music in the background make sure you line up the primary beat of the music, that's more important, even if you get a second or two less video on one side or the other.

I'm fairly new to fanediting myself but I'd like to chip in with a small tip.

If your background music is more classical orientated (like Star Wars), you might be able to use the OST from that movie. Find the exact piece of music used in that scene, line it up with the cut and match the volume.
You can then fade it in slowly right before the cut. I used that method a few times.

I hope I make sence.

I am fairly new to editing and my main issue so far is that I know how to cut the scenes together but I just for the life of me can't smooth the audio over so the cut appears to be super abrupt. What tricks are there to smoothing audio over?
Like others have said, if you're using Premiere, use Constant Power or Constant Gain. Otherwise the use the pen tool on the audio clips.

Back
Top Bottom