• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How to shift the start time of a source in resolve?

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've updated my source for Captain Marvel, I initially bought it digital on amazon but now I have the bluray and i'm trying to replace the source but the times are all different. I've ascertained there is an extra 20 frames at the start of it so all my cuts happen 20 frames too soon now. I tried cutting 20 frames off via ffmpeg, with a prores output, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. i used the folowing args in ffmpegGUI.
Code:
 -vf select="gte(n\, 20)"
I tried opening clip attributes in resolve and put -20 into offset source but it did nothing. it'll shift it forwards, but not backwards.
I suppose it makes sense they won't let me put the start time at -20 frames as there are no images at -20, but i need to somehow make this adjustment. whilst i could just move all my edit points 20 frames to the right, my colour grade animations and all other effects would not be adjusted

Did a little research and I think you can right click on the file and select "add into media pool with offset".

Did a little research and I think you can right click on the file and select "add into media pool with offset".
Thanks, that actually worked. It doesn't replace the clips in my timeline though. Seeing that this is a possible thing though..... Maybe the fact I have the start of the clip on my timeline is stopping me from adjusting it?

nope, I removed the start of it from my timeline and it made no difference.

Resolve really likes to keep timelines linked to the original file you first cut with. And will usually knock everything offline rather than easily swap out sources!

Thankfully newer versions have an option when you right click on a file in the Media Pool called "Replace Selected Clip...". If you had a new file with exactly the same timecode as the existing one this would swap all instances of that file throughout every timeline in the project in one go. Unfortunately due to the 20 frame difference in this case I don't think it will work for you. The way the option works is by having you pick the new file you want directly from your hard drive - not by selecting one already in the Media Pool. So if the only way to get the timecodes to match is to apply an Offset in the Media Pool then you’ll just end up with all your edits off by 20 frames.

The more tedious alternative is to Conform Lock the offset Bluray clip in your Media Pool with all instances of the Amazon one in your timeline. Go to the Edit page and make sure you can still see the Media Pool in the top left panel. Click on the BluRay clip to highlight it and then right click on the first Amazon clip in your timeline. You should see an option called “Conform Lock with Media Pool Clip”. Select that and Resolve will force your BluRay file into the timeline replacing the other one. Since the offset now has the timecodes matching, it should be an exact swap out for the same section of the film. It will keep all the effects that you’ve applied to the original clip as well (The only things I've found that can go a bit screwy with this are Fusion effects) Unfortunately you have to do this one at a time for all instances in your edit. You can’t select everything at once and just do it en masse.

Below is an example of how you'd use it to swap out the Dark FE logo with the lighter one in case my description isnt clear.

Hope this helps!

Screenshot-2023-11-15-at-16-50-26

@robulon omg that is fantastic! That absolutely worked for my first test!
It may be tedious but it's less so than manually replacing each cut and copying the attributes over!
Thank you so much, this makes my life so much easier.

Back
Top Bottom