• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

    Vote NOW for January FEOTM!

How to rip audio from PS2 games?

hbenthow

Well-known member
Messages
1,580
Reaction score
154
Trophy Points
68
I want to eventually make some fanedits that utilize snippets of Tobey Maguire's voice acting from the Spider-Man trilogy tie-in PS2 games. But I'm not sure how to go about ripping the game discs to my Windows desktop and extracting the audio. Does anyone know how to do this, or where I could find a guide detailing how to do it?
 

Masirimso17

Well-known member
Faneditor
Cover Artist
Messages
2,125
Reaction score
223
Trophy Points
93
hbenthow said:
I want to eventually make some fanedits that utilize snippets of Tobey Maguire's voice acting from the Spider-Man trilogy tie-in PS2 games. But I'm not sure how to go about ripping the game discs to my Windows desktop and extracting the audio. Does anyone know how to do this, or where I could find a guide detailing how to do it?

There is a YouTube video that has all the voiceovers from the first Spider-Man PS2 movie game, with a download link in the description. I don’t want to link it here for obvious reasons, but it should be easy to find.
 

hbenthow

Well-known member
Messages
1,580
Reaction score
154
Trophy Points
68
Masirimso17 said:
There is a YouTube video that has all the voiceovers from the first Spider-Man PS2 movie game, with a download link in the description. I don’t want to link it here for obvious reasons, but it should be easy to find.

I'm familiar with the video, but can't use that source for a fanedit as it's not an official source that I own.
 

Masirimso17

Well-known member
Faneditor
Cover Artist
Messages
2,125
Reaction score
223
Trophy Points
93
hbenthow said:
I'm familiar with the video, but can't use that source for a fanedit as it's not an official source that I own.

Oh sorry, I thought you owned the games.
 

hbenthow

Well-known member
Messages
1,580
Reaction score
154
Trophy Points
68
Masirimso17 said:
hbenthow said:
I'm familiar with the video, but can't use that source for a fanedit as it's not an official source that I own.

Oh sorry, I thought you owned the games.

What I meant is that to download the files from that Youtube video's description and use them wouldn't be using a source that I own, whereas ripping my own discs and using the files from them would be.
 

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
8,422
Reaction score
3,230
Trophy Points
168
Friendly reminder,

More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.


This thread should focus on the process. If any questions regarding the OTS rule arise, please PM a staff. Thanks!
 

Captain Khajiit

Well-known member
Donor
Messages
2,685
Reaction score
8
Trophy Points
48
You could always capture your own PS2 games with Audacity or some such.  If all you need is the audio, recording it as WAV should suffice.
 

hbenthow

Well-known member
Messages
1,580
Reaction score
154
Trophy Points
68
Captain Khajiit said:
You could always capture your own PS2 games with Audacity or some such.

First of all, to clear up any confusion due to my wording in previous posts in this thread, I was always talking about ripping the audio from my own game discs, not from any other source.

To be more clear, I don't own the Spider-Man games yet, but I do intend to buy them (at which point they will be mine) in order to use them as a fanedit source. I was hoping to be able to use the PS2 versions, as they tend to sell for cheaper than the PC versions, and can even sometimes be found at thrift stores near me.

If all you need is the audio, recording it as WAV should suffice.

Recording isn't really what I consider ideal - I prefer ripping the files outright.

I've been doing some more searching for instructions elsewhere, and found this Reddit post. Apparently, it would be a more complicated process than I had hoped.

I'm now considering buying the PC versions of the Spider-Man games, as it is apparently much easier to directly rip the audio from them than from the PS2 versions.
 

Masirimso17

Well-known member
Faneditor
Cover Artist
Messages
2,125
Reaction score
223
Trophy Points
93
Gotta say though the PC version of Spider-Man 2 is a terrible version and PS2/XBox/Gamecube is much better. Don’t know how the lines of Tobey Maguire are in the PC version though but if you’re looking for the highly praised Spider-Man 2, PC isn’t it. Also Spider-Man 3 PS2/Wii/PSP is similarly a downgraded version (with noticably terrible aıdio quality) of the PS3/PC/X360 version.
 

Captain Khajiit

Well-known member
Donor
Messages
2,685
Reaction score
8
Trophy Points
48
hbenthow said:
First of all, to clear up any confusion due to my wording in previous posts in this thread, I was always talking about ripping the audio from my own game discs, not from any other source.

Yes, you were clear about that.  I added emphasis to ensure that others didn't misread what I was saying.  :)

hbenthow said:
Recording isn't really what I consider ideal - I prefer ripping the files outright.

It's not ideal, but as you've since discovered, this sort of ripping can be quite complicated.  Even if you were to rip the files, you'd have to convert them and edit as WAV anyway.  Decoding them on playback and capturing as WAV won't differ much (if at all) in terms of quality, and as you are talking about snippets of audio, it might be the most straightforward solution.
 

Bobson Dugnutt

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
1,603
Reaction score
1,062
Trophy Points
133
I found a guy on YouTube that has ripped a lot of the lines from the games and even included a MediaFire link to download them

Here's over half an hour of lines from Maguire from the first game. 

I think some could be used for a edit to somehow replace Holland in Homecoming with Maguire as there are some good quips about the Vulture and Shocker. 

And also10 minutes of Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin

There are some other Venom and Sandman lines from other channels too, but not nearly as much as this
 

Masirimso17

Well-known member
Faneditor
Cover Artist
Messages
2,125
Reaction score
223
Trophy Points
93
Yes, those were the videos I was referring to, but he said he needs to own the PC version first.
 

hbenthow

Well-known member
Messages
1,580
Reaction score
154
Trophy Points
68
Masirimso17 said:
Gotta say though the PC version of Spider-Man 2 is a terrible version and PS2/XBox/Gamecube is much better. Don’t know how the lines of Tobey Maguire are in the PC version though but if you’re looking for the highly praised Spider-Man 2, PC isn’t it. Also Spider-Man 3 PS2/Wii/PSP is similarly a downgraded version (with noticably terrible aıdio quality) of the PS3/PC/X360 version.

I read the comments on the Youtube videos, and the uploader wrote that he ripped the audio (in .ogg format) from the PC version. The audio of the videos sounds quite good to my ears, so due to the acceptable audio quality that they apparently offer combined with the easier nature of ripping the PC games as opposed to the PS2 ones, I think that getting the PC games is probably the best way to go (at least for the first and third games).

Regarding the second game, I don't particularly care about the quality of the gameplay. If the PC version has the same audio clips as the PS2 version, that's good enough for me. Does anyone know whether it does indeed feature the same voice clips?
 

Masirimso17

Well-known member
Faneditor
Cover Artist
Messages
2,125
Reaction score
223
Trophy Points
93
Yeah the PC version of the third game has good audio quality.

hbenthow said:
Regarding the second game, I don't particularly care about the quality of the gameplay. If the PC version has the same audio clips as the PS2 version, that's good enough for me. Does anyone know whether it does indeed feature the same voice clips?

Yes the quality of the gameplay is not important of course. But it doesn’t have the same audio clips as the PS2 version, at least mostly. And I remember the audio quality isn’t that great either but I could be wrong.
 

hbenthow

Well-known member
Messages
1,580
Reaction score
154
Trophy Points
68
Masirimso17 said:
Yes the quality of the gameplay is not important of course. But it doesn’t have the same audio clips as the PS2 version, at least mostly. And I remember the audio quality isn’t that great either but I could be wrong.

Is the video below an accurate approximation of its audio and visual quality? If so, the voice clips sound good enough, but there aren't many of them.

 

Masirimso17

Well-known member
Faneditor
Cover Artist
Messages
2,125
Reaction score
223
Trophy Points
93
I don’t know, I haven’t played this one.
 

CourtlyHades296

Well-known member
Messages
145
Reaction score
11
Trophy Points
18
I might be able to use this same technique for ripping voices from PS2 Revenge of the Sith (see OT.com's Prequel Radical Redux thread for more)
 
Top Bottom