• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

How to mask clips?

Teentitanoffury

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have just started using After Effects and I want to put a cutout of Green Arrow in the same shot as Batman for a trailer that I am doing. How do I cut green arrow from the original clip and put him into the Batman clip? I tried rotoscoping and selected the clip but I can't get rid of the rest of the shot. How do I just get the cutout after I select it?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To put a character from a shot into another shot is tricky but doable, sometimes.

If the two shots are steady, you should not have much trouble?

If they are in motion then:

- Track the camera movements (including rotation and zoom) from shot A (the one you want to add a new character in) and link a Null object to it.
- Put shot B (the one with the new character) above shot A with transparancy.
- Link shot B to the Null object with the movement of shot A
- Thanks to transparency, look if your character from shot B looks all right in shot A (good angle etc) and place it at the right place and with the right scale.
- Inside shot B: make a mask (rotoscoping) around the character and animate it along the shot. Don't esitate to make several simple masks (one for each arms for example) rather than ONE complex shape.
- Once your character is "rotoscoped" you should see him moving in shot A as if it was filmed. Maybe add soft edges around him to make him looks less "cop py paste".
- Check the motion blur case (Also don't esitate to animate the softness of the edges when the characters is moving fast: somtime it works all right to simulate motionblur and it's faster to render.)
- Make color corrections, maybe add grain. etc.

Top Bottom