• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

How to Add Film Grain?

tizzeres

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was wondering how I would add fake film grain to the Phantom Menace or any other film? Should I do it within editing software or use Topaz Video Enhance AI?

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was wondering how I would add fake film grain to the Phantom Menace or any other film? Should I do it within editing software or use Topaz Video Enhance AI?
If you have AE you can use the plug-in "Match Grain" to copy the grain from another clip of a movie.

In AP Pro you can also use the plug-in "Add Noise and Grain".

In FCPX the plug-in is called "Film Grain".

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You can grab stock grain that can be added as an overlay from various free websites. Some NLEs also have plugins for it, though they will vary in quality.

tizzeres

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you have AE you can use the plug-in "Match Grain" to copy the grain from another clip of a movie.

In AP Pro you can also use the plug-in "Add Noise and Grain".

In FCPX the plug-in is called "Film Grain".
I use AP Pro and AE. Would you recommend using match grain or add noise and grain - if you don't mind me asking :)?

tizzeres

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You can grab stock grain that can be added as an overlay from various free websites. Some NLEs also have plugins for it, though they will vary in quality.
Thanks for the quick response. What NLE plugins do you recommend, in terms of quality?

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the quick response. What NLE plugins do you recommend, in terms of quality?

I've only used Vegas' which I'm not keen on but isn't terrible. I always opt for using overlays now. They're free and easy to find, and some of them are genuine film grain that you're just laying on top of your footage.

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use AP Pro and AE. Would you recommend using match grain or add noise and grain - if you don't mind me asking :)?
It depends on what you want. If you want to match the grain from a movie you like then it is better to use the "Match Grain" plug-in in AE. You can tweak it in order to get the desired grain. For me it looks more natural and it is my preferred choice.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally I am running some Dune 1984 Smithee footage through Topaz right now to add film grain, its much better IMO than the Adobe Premiere option. Film grain is so much more than simple noise, and rather than enhancing the footage with texture, it ends up just muddying the overall result.

Last edited:

tizzeres

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It depends on what you want. If you want to match the grain from a movie you like then it is better to use the "Match Grain" plug-in in AE. You can tweak it in order to get the desired grain. For me it looks more natural and it is my preferred choice.
Thank you. I'll have to give that a go.

tizzeres

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally I am running some Dune 1984 Smithee footage through Topaz right now to add film grain, its much better IMO than the Adobe Premiere option. Film grain is so much more than simple noise, and rather than enhancing the footage with texture, it ends up just muddying the overall result.
What settings do you use on Topaz, under the 'add grain'?

And, what are your thoughts on using overlays? Have you ever used them?

Last edited:

tizzeres

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've only used Vegas' which I'm not keen on but isn't terrible. I always opt for using overlays now. They're free and easy to find, and some of them are genuine film grain that you're just laying on top of your footage.
Do the overlays last a while or are they specific to what you apply them to? Any free ones you would be okay with recommending?

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What settings do you use on Topaz, under the 'add grain'?

And, what are your thoughts on using overlays? Have you ever used them?
Overlays have been fun for the "effects" look, but not as precise and real looing as topaz does.

Yeah, add grain, and then there are levels to adjust in there. Also, how much grain adds exponentially more time to Topaz, so only do it if you need to!

tizzeres

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Overlays have been fun for the "effects" look, but not as precise and real looing as topaz does.

Yeah, add grain, and then there are levels to adjust in there. Also, how much grain adds exponentially more time to Topaz, so only do it if you need to!
Thank you. I will go with using Topaz and mess around with settings :)

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Depends on what overlays we're talking about. I'm not sure how real film grain can look "not as real" as fake one ;)

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ha ha totally understand.

But for me, I'm trying to match footage from older footage at a lower resolution to a newer restored print release that has a beautiful film grain, but unfortunately not all the footage I need. Topaz is the only thing I have found to give a more realistic film grain to match the better footage scenes, as overlays were always noticeably different IMO. If I was adding film grain to a whole movie, I could probably get away with an overlay, but I haven't found anything close for this specific instance. But I could be wrong and just haven't found the right grain overlay...

tizzeres

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ha ha totally understand.

But for me, I'm trying to match footage from older footage at a lower resolution to a newer restored print release that has a beautiful film grain, but unfortunately not all the footage I need. Topaz is the only thing I have found to give a more realistic film grain to match the better footage scenes, as overlays were always noticeably different IMO. If I was adding film grain to a whole movie, I could probably get away with an overlay, but I haven't found anything close for this specific instance. But I could be wrong and just haven't found the right grain overlay...
Topaz does seem like it could work, but I think it may be adding too much grain to bright area. I watched this tutorial for adding grain on premiere
. I may go with this, unless anyone suggests otherwise :). Thanks for everyone's help!

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Even when I upscale using Topaz I don’t use its grain generator anymore. Instead Davinci Resolve has an excellent grain effect that lets you simulate any type of grain and then modify its intensity separately across blacks, mid tones, and highlights. Easier than AE and more customizable than overlays.

Top Bottom