• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How long did it take you to complete and edit/project etc?

rijir

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure where to post this. But just curious anyway. Reading through the posts here some edits/projects are done in a matter of days others seem to go on maybe never even seeing completion.

So I ask this question..

What it the longest time it took you to complete a project from the initial working of the idea on your PC to final release? And why so?

About a month I took with my Jarhead thing, and I just finished editing it, I still need to upload the DVD and such which should take another week or so.

Out of my finished projects, The Crow: De-Colorized definately took me the most time, roughly two weeks overall I think.

rijir said:
So I ask this question..

What it the longest time it took you to complete a project from the initial working of the idea on your PC to final release? And why so?

It really depends on the work needed / carried out by the editor.

Not meaning to state the obvious, but naturally some projects don?t need extensive work, where as some will need quite a bit of time and patience.

Personally, the Longest I have taken is about 4 weeks with The Thin Red Line (3 weeks editing, 1 week pre and post work, including uploading), but I am early in my fan editing career :) so I envisage that will change........

well... this is almost a big joke with me..... cause i've been working on one edit for well over a year now.... my edit of the star wars prequel trilogy.... i just started editing, having really no idea what i was doing... and then when i found this site i had to go back and change a bunch of stuff in the way i was doing things.... change the quality... re-edit stuff..... i mean i know i'm editing 3 movies down into one... and there are hundreds of cuts... but still.... definitely an inordinate amount of time lol i've just finished all editing and i'm only waiting on my opening scroll, and a few things for the dvd menu and it will be done.

on the other hand, i took a break off from the star wars edit to do my wing commander edit and that only took about 2 weeks... which was about 10-12 hours total work... which includes making the dvd menus and such.

obviously a vast difference between the 2.... and very different projects.... obviously the star wars one would be much longer anyway... but still.... if i started it now (knowing what i now know) it would probably only take me a couple months.

It always takes me months. Perhaps I'm perfectionist that wants to do it perfect. Or perhaps I'm slowed down by problems during the DVD making process. I'm always amazed that people are able to make fanedits in a week or so.

My recent project, T23D, is 3/4 years in the making and not finished yet. But the progress is great last 2 months. It's really gaining speed.

my longest project is KIRKLESS GENERATIONS, which took back then the people I worked with and me way over a year until we had the final result.
I actually am not a straight editor, I take breaks, rethink stuff, replan, while I am doing it, so I think I am rather slow. With all the stuff that I like to put into a fanedit, I never was faster than a week. I am not in a hurry with anything, which will hopefully result in never rushed decisions and the best result that was possible for me at that time.

i bet most of that is collecting the sources thou

If I recall, I spent about a month making the film & the menu for my firstling. Of course, I still haven't recorded a commentary yet, so it remains unreleased.

I redid many of the steps in the process several times to bump up any signs of a learning curve in my first attempt.

God, this is a really good question. thank you for bringing back painful memories i wish i could forget.

the fastest one was DUEL, which i did in under a week, complete with dvd.

SKY CAPTAIN is a painful memory. took me longer to be happy with the compression than it took me to edit. I kept seeing artifacts and transitions that were shit and I was never happy. easily over a month. and i mean every day for 10 hours a day. still after all that, there is an audio glitch that everyone complains about. shit.

The one that broke me was HULK. it felt like forever. look up the posting for hulk to find out how long. that one wasnt technical, it was ripping and tearing and chopping the green goliath to find an exciting superhero film.
i did it, but it cost me. havent edited anything since.
Will I? it seems thats all I think about.

p.s.
For some reason, KILL BILL X, SPECTRES FROM SPACE and HELLBLAZER, I have no memory of. I did enjoy making them but they dont remind me of that particular soul-sucking agony of a frustrating edit.

but still you succeeded. And it is really cool that you were able to find a worth to be watched movie in HULK.

rijir said:
Not sure where to post this. But just curious anyway. Reading through the posts here some edits/projects are done in a matter of days others seem to go on maybe never even seeing completion.

So I ask this question..

As you can see it varies from person to person. When I did my first edit (Natural Born Killers) it took me about 2 months due to varying issues with the video source I had at the time. I did the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Edit in a day and a half as that was simple stuff. Really it's a matter of how much time you have to spend. I haven't released an edit since I went back to work, simply because I don't the time. I've got a great one in the works that hopefully will be done in time for Halloween.
And as far as things that never see completion, sadly a lot of people show up with grand ideas, but nothing ever shows up. It's the nature of what we do I guess. I try not to announce anything until it's done, or very near completion.

C

I began the concept of my Crow: city of angels edit back in 1997. It was a pain in the ass because all i had were 2 vcr's to "edit". That rough copy got out, then throughout the years, i had gotten a computer and began working on it more properly. A did few more "releases", but i was never quite happy with any of them because it didn't tell the story that the director wanted. So this was a very "on-and-off" type of project. I spent many years just searching for any bit of deleted material i could find, and finally, i think in 2003 -- i came up with the idea to use intertitles and animatics to fill in all the missing sequences. Scanning, cropping then "animating" all those hundreds of images into wide format on my computer was hell, and i'm probably a bit crazy for doing it LoL.

I only have 2 edits under my belt. Phantasm Phan-Cut was done before I got a DVD burner so it was done as a 2 disc VCD and took about 2 months. Alien Redux actually started as a VCD before the Quadrilogy was released. I got a few weeks into it only to lose everything to a hard drive crash. When Quad was released I spent a week or so compiling all deleted scenes as DV files to multiple DVDs. Then I moved. 9 months later I picked up the project and spent about 2 months editing before the final product in '04.

Back
Top Bottom