• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How Does RAPIDSHARE work?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Could someone give me brief explanation/tutorial on how Rapidshare works?

I have always used TORRENTS. They are straight forward and simple. Click on one single file, it downloads and you burn it.

I look at RAPIDSHARE and I get confused.... I have clicked on some of the fan edits available exclusively through Rapidshare, and it appears they are divided into 40, or 50 or even more smaller .RAR files....

Do I have to click on every SINGLE file to download it or is there a master link that will download the entire file?

And what type of file am I exactly downloading? Is it a .VOB or .ISO or .AVI or something completely different? Do I have to reassamble all these files later after they download?

And finally, can I burn these Rapidshare files with NERO or will I need a different program?

Any assistance in matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

rapidshare has a filesize limit of 100mb, that is why the fanedits are splitted into parts.
This is done with either winrar, or hjsplit or quickpar (stated in the post). You need the according program to re-unite the files.
What you get then is either the DVD data: the folders video_ts, audio_ts and sometimes a DVD-Rom folder or an iso. All of this can be burnt with Nero.
To burn an iso with nero: start nero (not start smart), cancel the wizard, recorder, burn image (select file) activate finalize, burn.
To burn the DVD folders start nero, select video dvd, load the folder contents of video_ts into the according folder that nero has created, copy the DVD-Rom folder into the main directory, select a label name, burn.
And all the time burn as slow as possible, with a maximum of 4 to avoid read errors.

Okay that sounds pretty straight forward...

However, if I join Rapidshare as a PREMIUM USER, would I only have to clip the single FOLDER link and would that then download the entire fan edit file? Would I still require something like WinRAR to re-unite the files or would it be complete and ready to burn?

you will download a mass of split files that will have to be joined.

Okie dokie!

Thanks for the info Boone! :)

While we're on the subject, can someone explain how to upload a a fan edit? I have a video_ts and a custom dvd cover in a single folder ready to go, and I have no idea how to contribute it to the site.

Not sure how to torrent it (you need to get a tracker or something from a site, not sure how that works), but you can use WinRar to split the files into 100mb chunks.

Just make sure you are dumping those files in a new folder somewhere (I accidently did it to my desktop once while testing and had like 200 files on the desktop that took a LONG time to delete because most of them where off the screen). The easiest way to do this for me is to make a new folder, drop the entire fanedit folder (a master folder with Video_TS, Audio_TS and DVD-ROM subfolders) in it, and right-click and 'add to archive' using WinRar. Under the WinRar app that pops up will the 'split to volumes' option. Just type in '100mb'. Double check to make sure the files will be outputted to where you want them, and hit "OK".

Once it has split them, sign up for a free rapidshare account, download rapiduploader, log into your account using rapiduploader. This will automatically put whatever files you upload into your account folder for later.

Drag and drop all of the rar part files into the rapiduploader app and it will automatically start uploading the files.

Than you only need go to rapidshare, log in, and copy/paste the URLs of the uploaded files into a message here in the forum.

I think that about covers it. It's kind of a pain, takes a while to upload. But in my experiance, RapidUploader isn't as taxing on bandwidth as uTorrent, so you can multitask while it's uploading.

and if you are a premium member you need to configure rapiduploader, so it will recognize you as a premium member and upload the files to your account instead to the free area.
Besides that beckmen's tutorial is quite good.
The tracker thing for torrents is that a torrent needs a tracker to post the informnation about the file. Each torrent site has its own tracker (piratebay or demonoid). There are also open torrent sites without their own tracker, who can use the trackers from other torrent sites(mininova and torrentsoy), but you need to uplaod the torrent first of all to the site, where the tracker is.
If you click upload torrent on piratebay, it will tell you the tracker adress.
Then you create the torrent using the tracker adress and the file that you want torrented. Then you upload the created torrent file to the piratebay and also write a description. If the torrent is accepted by th ewebsite, you can start seeding it with your torrent software.
Demonodi works quite similar but requires an additional file in the downlaod folder. This is all explained, when you hit the "upload a torrent" button.

cockringwraith said:
While we're on the subject, can someone explain how to upload a a fan edit? I have a video_ts and a custom dvd cover in a single folder ready to go, and I have no idea how to contribute it to the site.

uploading is super easy. If you want to upload to rapidshare all you do is split the folder into 100mb files using winrar and then use rapid uploader to upload to rs.

As for torrent just as easy (especially with demonoid). open up the torrent client of your choice, create the torrent and then go to demonoid go to upload torrent and then you just leave the torrent window open a couple of days until people have downloaded the edit.

If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

Back
Top Bottom