• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How do you remove crackling in audio

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So i've imported some audio from some old audio cassettes. The quality is ok. I'm able to remove the tape noise but for some reason on high sounds I am getting some crackling in my headphones. Is there a way to ease up on the audio to remove the crackling from the audio. The audio was from a live event and the crackling when people were screaming.

Occasionally (and maybe I'm thinking of something different) you'll get that if the volume is too loud.

that is probably clipping

you can do your best to solve this by trying to mess with it in an audio editor like audacity.

depending on the source of the "crackling" this can be fixed by either: gain, declipping, normalization, etc.

I will post up a clip of the audio later when i get home to get some ideas of what it might be.

I am using audacity for mac already for my editing of the audio except I used hijack to cap the audio.

Izotope RX Elements is a good and cheap solution to repair clipping or clicking in audio. You can get it for a few buck if you watch the regular sales.

Izotope RX Elements is a good and cheap solution to repair clipping or clicking in audio. You can get it for a few buck if you watch the regular sales.
Sorry to revive this thread again, but I second this. iZotope RX9 can work MAGIC on old audio, even highly compressed audio, it has tools to restore. You get that, play around with some of the tools, it's like black magic.

Back
Top Bottom