• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

How do you make VirtualDub work anyway?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a new user with Vegas and looking to prepare a LagarithAvi from my Blu-Ray (Maybe I'm an idiot but I've been trying to figure this out all day by watching videos, reading threads and searching google and I give up :oops:).

I started following boon23's guide to editing in Vegas and only got as far as downloading DVDfab and extracting the *.m2ts file I want. I've freshly installed VirtualDub from the link in that thread but it won't open the *.m2ts file because it does not recognise it? I know VirtualDub works on plugins (I used to use the program about a decade ago I think :-D) but the link in Boon's thread is broken and every link on the internet seems to be broken too! Googling only seems to bring back lots of people asking where the hell you get these plugins from? (And I'm not even sure what plugins I need to search for or what to do with them if I ever found one).

Can somebody please post me a link to all the extra things I need to make VirtualDub work on any level? I want it to open and convert mp4s and mpegs, lagarithAVIs, mkvs and right now an m2ts.

I didn't think I was this stupid but apparently I am :p.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't link to info!!!!

;)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sounds like you don't have all the nuts and bolts installed. Install the most recent k-lite codec pack.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
sounds like you don't have all the nuts and bolts installed. Install the most recent k-lite codec pack.

^ That was my conclusion and why I started the thread :D.

Okay installed k-lite codec mega pack and still the same error.

Not having a good day. My home cinema system decided to stop playing R2 DVDs for no explicable reason after 3-4 years of working fine. I had to re-install the firmware on that (To the same firmware!) via a USB this afternoon. Now thankfully working again as normal.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
please post the exact contents of your avisynth script using the code feature here.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
please post the exact contents of your avisynth script using the code feature here.

Okay thanks,

Code:
DirectShowSource("C:\Ryan\Downloads\Brothers Grimm\BG Deleted Scenes.m2ts", fps=23.976)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, as per my guide, I noted that some people may have problems with DirectShowSource and *.m2ts files. I honestly don't know why this happens, but I've encountered the issue

Remux into an MKV (you can use MKVmerge) and modify the script as below and you should be good to go.

Code:
DirectShowSource("C:\Ryan\Downloads\Brothers Grimm\BG Deleted Scenes.mkv", fps=23.976)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just tried copying the contents of the AviSynth 'plugins' folder over to VirtualDub's 'plugins' folder and then it allowed me to open the video by clicking 'file/open video file.../(My *.avs file)' (Still the run script option has an error).

We have progress! ;-)

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, what are you trying to use Virtualdub for, [MENTION=24292]TM2YC[/MENTION] ? Conversion/compression? Hardsubbing? I can walk you through the later.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
So, what are you trying to use Virtualdub for, TM2YC ? Conversion/compression? Hardsubbing? I can walk you through the later.

At the moment, I want to take the a raw 15minute *.m2ts file from a ripped Blu-Ray (1920x1080 - 16:9 Letterboxed within 4:3, letterboxed again within 16:9 :-D, 29.9fps, stereo, interlaced) and prepare it for editing in Vegas as a: 1280x720, zoomed and cropped to 16:9*, 23.9fps, stereo, deinterlaced, LagarithAVI - using VirtualDub although I can do the final fine-tuning of the crop and zoom in Vegas later. Ideally I'd prefer to keep the video and audio together and not seperated, to keep both syncronised 100%.

(*The aspect ratio is actually slightly less 'tall' than 16:9, something like 1280x694)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
just a note, I've found that including the deinterlacing scripts within your avisynth script prior to working in virtualdub produces far better results.

Also, have you changed the container? I'm pretty sure that the mkv will overcome your directshow issue.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, whatever you do, be sure you run IVTC first. This'll deinterlace it and result in a 23.976 fps progressive image. Any cropping or resizing before you do that will result in horrifying horizontal line artefacts everywhere.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yep. Always do that first.

Every source is different, so you may need to try out different techniques to actually get it to progressive 23.976. I've had the best results incorporating that into my AVS script, but I've had to modify the coding for a variety of sources.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
Well, whatever you do, be sure you run IVTC first. This'll deinterlace it and result in a 23.976 fps progressive image. Any cropping or resizing before you do that will result in horrifying horizontal line artefacts everywhere.

ThrowgnCpr said:
yep. Always do that first.

Every source is different, so you may need to try out different techniques to actually get it to progressive 23.976. I've had the best results incorporating that into my AVS script, but I've had to modify the coding for a variety of sources.

Thanks so much guys for all the advice.

I've made alot of progress. After much experimentation last night I'd worked out that resizing while doing IVTC was a very, very bad idea :D. So I've been doing it in stages...

1. Straight convert to deinterlaced Lagarith AVI (Took lots of trial and error but got it looking good without any distortion)
2. Then cropped the image to 16:9
3. Then resized to 1280x720

But the tricky part is getting that to 23.97fps. The last time I tried it the video came out at 19minutes with the audio still at 15minutes. So now I need to work out how to make it remove frames instead of spreading them out, as it were.

^ This will come in handy later when I'm wanting to slow PAL down to film speed.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Thanks so much guys for all the advice.

I've made alot of progress. After much experimentation last night I'd worked out that resizing while doing IVTC was a very, very bad idea :D. So I've been doing it in stages...

1. Straight convert to deinterlaced Lagarith AVI (Took lots of trial and error but got it looking good without any distortion)
2. Then cropped the image to 16:9
3. Then resized to 1280x720

But the tricky part is getting that to 23.97fps. The last time I tried it the video came out at 19minutes with the audio still at 15minutes. So now I need to work out how to make it remove frames instead of spreading them out, as it were.

^ This will come in handy later when I'm wanting to slow PAL down to film speed.

Assuming this is an NTSC film-based work, if you IVTC it then you don't need to deinterlace it or adjust the frame rate. Example:

Here's an interlaced frame. Ouch.

futurecopsinterlaced_zps2285e272.png

But if you do this...

futurecopsivtc_zps7eb4c9a3.png

You'll wind up with this! Much better!

futurecopsafter_zps529a56c5.png

You'll get rid of all the repeated frames/fields from the pulldown effect, resulting in 23.976 progressive frames per second, in perfect sync with the same audio.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ to mgh you listen. fields/interlacing can be confusing. IVTC (inverse telecine) removes the dumb interlacing / fields nonsense to get it back to progressive 23.976. This only applies to video that was shot as progressive and then a telecine applied to get to 29.97. For video that was shot/created as 29.97 interlaced, you need a different bag of tricks.

You need to be careful with IVTC, because the standard-auto settings may not produce the best results. As I mentioned above, sometimes it takes some tweaking (decomb starting on different frames, blablabla). I won't begin to try to explain in depth, because I am far from an expert. your workflow should be like this:

1) IVTC to get to 23.976 progressive
2) crop to 16:9
3) resize to 1280x720

for step 1, I would probably include an extra few lines of code (decomb function) in my avisynth script, that way when it opens in virtualdub, it will read as 23.976 progressive. You can tell at that point if the decomb options look best. The rest of the cropping / resizing can be done with virtualdub filters - although if you are just removing the same number of pixels on each side you can also add these lines of code to your avisynth script for better speed

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got the file how I wanted now using my long winded process but I'm gonna go back and use the much simpler process you both suggest ^ and see if it looks better.

Top Bottom