• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

How do you get started with basic FX?

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My boredom and the impending television void caused by the writers strike has me back in my editing chair.

My next project MAY involved some special effect work.
I'm really trying to avoid it and I don't mind SOME incomplete shots, but does anyone have advice on where a n00b should start?

The most basic (and the only shots I know for a fact I want to do) involve a central still frame from one source (the subject is approximately circular) and I'd like to surround it with a motion shot from another source.

Any ideas on this one? I seem to recall it's possible with avisynth.

Wow, no one?

I'll look into After Effects if need be...

Seeing as you mentioned the source being still, it should be fairly easy to do...what program are you usually editing in?

*This is pretty much the limit of my FX skill. I've been doing the digital equivelant of the old-school matte shot, so I'm limited to shots that are locked off.

I use Womble for editing, but for any changes to the video (transitions, fade in-outs) I do in avisynth.

could use a bit more detail as to whats involved. could you post some frames? also, do you have AE? i am a mac guy and do my cutting on FCP and effects. The studio comes bundle with Livetype and Motion.

I can do digital blur (gaussian, pixellation, etc.) and object masking for subtitles (but only on a frame-by-frame basis).

DoctorM said:
I use Womble for editing, but for any changes to the video (transitions, fade in-outs) I do in avisynth.

Oh. I know zilch re: Womble, so I cannae help. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom