• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How do I slow down footage and make it look smooth?

Zilla Magilla

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m currently making a fan-edit of Godzilla Raids Again. One of the things I decided to do was slow down the monster fight footage. It was infamously shot at a framerate that sped up the footage instead of slowing it down, destroying the illusion of weight.

Here’s where the issues start. Each of the slow motion settings either make the footage look jittery or have artifacts. I’m using Adobe Premeire Pro.

Does anyone more experienced have advice on getting a smoother slow-mo effect?

Grab Flowframes. It's new and free. Uses AI, works like a charm.

It interpolates new frames into a video but keeps the same duration. So you could set it to be 4x the frames, then take the output and slow it down in Premiere by 4x and you would have slower footage at the right frame rate with zero duplicate frames.

Premiere alone will duplicate frames to achieve its slowmo. "Optical Flow" in Premiere is the best setting but doesn't hold a candle to AI interpolation.

I second Flowframes. Takes a few to understand how to use it, but works wonders.
I’m sure there’s tutorials on Youtube I can watch. It’s how I learned Premeire Pro and everything.

Last edited:
Grab Flowframes. It's new and free. Uses AI, works like a charm.

It interpolates new frames into a video but keeps the same duration. So you could set it to be 4x the frames, then take the output and slow it down in Premiere by 4x and you would have slower footage at the right frame rate with zero duplicate frames.

Premiere alone will duplicate frames to achieve its slowmo. "Optical Flow" in Premiere is the best setting but doesn't hold a candle to AI interpolation.
So I downloaded it and tried it, but I keep getting the same error message. It says my input file might be incompatible. Any idea on how to input a compatible file?

So I downloaded it and tried it, but I keep getting the same error message. It says my input file might be incompatible. Any idea on how to input a compatible file?
It's been a little while since I've done it, but what worked best for me is to load the source video in Premiere and export your clip you want to lengthen as a sequence of PNG images in a folder together. Flowframes can take the whole folder as a clip.

The itch page claims the following:
Can read MP4, GIF, WEBM, MKV, MOV, BIK, and more video formats
Can also take image sequences as PNG, JPEG and more as input
Output as video (MP4/MKV/WEBM/MOV), GIF, or frames

It's been a little while since I've done it, but what worked best for me is to load the source video in Premiere and export your clip you want to lengthen as a sequence of PNG images in a folder together. Flowframes can take the whole folder as a clip.

I’ll give this a shot tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help.

This method worked. Thanks again for your help. Do the rules allow me to share before and after clips?

Back
Top Bottom