• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How do I color a part of a shot red?

evansT

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In one of my edits, I want to make the whole thing black and white par a certain thing in each shot. For example, everything in a shot is black and white par a book on a table. I've seen people do this, but have no idea how to do it myself.

I use Sony Vegas 8.0, and would be thankful for any advice.

If the shot is already black in white (was never in color) this could be quite hard. But otherwise its possible. Just beware that this can be time consuming.

If you're lucky, the color that you want to stand out will be the only instance of that color in the shot (lets take red for example). If you have a red book, and there is no other red in the shot, then you are in luck (rarely the case). If luck is on your side (only the book is red), then you click on filters, and add the secondary color corrector filter. basically you have to sample the red color, and then desaturate the rest of the image. There are many good little tutorials on youtube that you can find easily if you search something like "sony vegas sin city"

If you're unlucky, red will appear elsewhere in the shot (almost all cases). For this, duplicate your video layer. The bottom one will be completely black and white. The top one you have to use the same method as described in the above paragraph, and then mask out the object that you want colored. Again, you should be able to find plenty of youtube tutorials on masking in sony vegas.

As I mentioned this is really time consuming. I did this technique for the short I cut for the Batman Consecution project. The video was only 6 minutes long, but it took me many many hours to color and mask. Be prepared for some time commitment. Here's what I came up with:

also, you'll want to note that true black and white film is NOT the same as just desaturating your video to grayscale. You will problaby want to adjust the levels a bit to get a better contrast that is more akin to black and white film.

Thanks for your advice, your Batman edit was actually what inspired me to do the whole black and white part of my project.

I'm doing my entry to the Zombie Consecution. I've got "Dial Z for Zombie" from a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror special and have edited it into a five minuet long "film", trying to make it seem like a proper zombie movie as much as possible. I've turned it widescreen, made it black and white, cut out most of the obvious jokes, etc, but it needed something to make it really stand out, hence why I've decided to make certain parts of it coloured while the rest is grey. The only problem is that I'm colouring a red book that has a vital role in the story, and Bart's orange T-Shirt keeps on getting coloured with it, making the whole thing a lot harder!

Anyway, thanks for your advice, it's been appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom