• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

How did you learn to color grade?

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thinking about finally dipping my toe into the world of color grading. Recently I was watching the Marvel Legends segment on Black Widow and it was just a reminder to me about how the first Avengers just looks like a really expensive episode of television. I find it to be one of the MCU movies that I revisit the least. I know so many people love it and there’s obviously nothing wrong with that but I’ve always found it to be a tad overrated and lower tier MCU for me.

So, now thinking about doing an edit of The Avengers next but I know I’d never be happy with it if it still had the same color grade. I’m pretty good at teaching myself things when I have to but I don’t even know where to start here. Any tips from people who have successes with this. I’m using FCPX but I don’t think the editing software of choice is what I’m looking at. Mainly the basic of how you leaned.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tumblr_inline_nmwm24zx2a1qjzmei_540.jpg

I was the same. Color grading always seemed so daunting (hint it is) so I never really attacked it. I wouldn't say I'm OCD about things, but I'm never really satisfied with my editing so color grading is a never ending process at times. I think the key is to have a target that you want to achieve, and when you get there, have the sense to know when to stop.

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oof. I’m also very OCD about editing so I’ll have to pay extra attention of knowing when to stop. Thanks for the advice! With Ms. Frizzle in my corner I feel there’s nothing I can’t do.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm red/green colorblind, in certain shades only, so I ask my son and my wife.... THE COLOR CONSULTANTS

"Dad, you pulled out too much color in the flashbacks on The Hobbit"
"Looks good to me son".....

WIFE: "she's GREEN!!!"
ME: "She's an Orion Slave Girl.....DERRRR!"

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am also largely color blind so I have no idea what you guys are doing

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would like to know how to colorgrade to cause I have some ideas 😬

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I made a little thread about this. It's far from exhaustive and it's all based of my experiments with Lightworks but you might find my little experiments interesting. It's a fun topic to explore and one that rewards the patient and subtle hand.

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I made a little thread about this. It's far from exhaustive and it's all based of my experiments with Lightworks but you might find my little experiments interesting. It's a fun topic to explore and one that rewards the patient and subtle hand.
Thank you so much!

Top Bottom