• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

how can you change color of an object?

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I figure this post would fit in here just fine as it can be applied to cover art. I know photoshop to a degree, but I wanted to ask the proper way of changing an item's color while still being able to see the item and not some bland color cover

example the giant ant in this picture below

http://www.rollanet.org/~conorw/cwome/mobot_giant_ant.jpg

let us say I want to turn him bright red. Now if I just filled in segments of course it would cover the actual detail and you can tell it was just filled in. Other than messing with the "curve option level" what would be the proper way so I do not cover up the detail and the end result would truly look as if the ant were red to begin with

thanks

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well, unfortunately this picture is hard. The images is dominated with greens and browns. What you will need to do is select the ant using one of the select tools and work on the color for that selection only. Try adjusting the Hue/Saturation (CTRL + U).

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Use the paintbrush, but set the mode to "color".

Et voilà! :)

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There you go, Tranzor! You got some advice from our resident ant expert. :lol:

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How did that not occur to me? :D

Anyway, a super quickie job of what I mean....
mobotgiantant.jpg

(Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn't have time to build it to scale or to paint it. ;) )

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
not bad at all!!! I assume you still made a selection first?

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
How did that not occur to me? :D

Anyway, a super quickie job of what I mean....
mobotgiantant.jpg

(Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn't have time to build it to scale or to paint it. ;) )
Now that's an uncanny ant, man.

/try the veal etc...

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you know I did not receive any emails that replies were posted to this (yes subscribe was checked).

THANK YOU for the info Uncanny!!!!! You have answered a question I wanted to know about for a few years

Now all I have to figure out is if I had a brickwall and I wanted to make it look like a name was spraypainted on it, how to go about doing that

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
THANK YOU for the info Uncanny!!!!!
No problem. I'm not really much when it comes to photoshop, but I feel like I know just enough to scrape by. :)

Now all I have to figure out is if I had a brickwall and I wanted to make it look like a name was spraypainted on it, how to go about doing that
Try using the paintbrush, but select a brush that best imitates a spray. (I also set the brush to "vivid light" for this one to get a day-glo look to the paint.)
tranzor.jpg

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting, would it also be safe to say that the opacity was also slightly less than 100 so you can still kind of see through it, or was that just lighter brush strokes?

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The "vivid" setting took care of the semi-transparency. I find often the best way to do it is to paint with a 100% opacity, but then adjust it afterwards, playing with opacity and style setting to see what works best.

Top Bottom