• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

How can I hardcode subtitles for foreign-speaking parts of a movie?

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am working on a fanedit of the 1992 "Dracula, using the Special Edition DVD,in which the subtitles for the Romanian-speaking parts are not hardcoded into the video. Is there any way I can hardcode the subtitles for the Romanian-speaking parts into the video using Womble, Avisynth, Vegas Pro, Virtualdub, or any other such program? I plan to author it to a DVD, so I don't want to transcode or to lose much quality.

Avisynth can definitely do this, and I suspect virtualdub can too. Not sure exactly, as I've never done it, but you should be able to find something at doom9.org or videohelp.com.

Here's one way to do it: Install VobSub. Use VobSub to extract the subtitle file. Open Virtualdub. VobSub will show up as a plugin. Open the plugin, and from there open the subtitle file that you already extracted. The subtitles will be hardburned along with any other plugin changes you make. They should show up in the preview.

Brumous said:
Here's one way to do it: Install VobSub. Use VobSub to extract the subtitle file. Open Virtualdub. VobSub will show up as a plugin. Open the plugin, and from there open the subtitle file that you already extracted. The subtitles will be hardburned along with any other plugin changes you make. They should show up in the preview.
But will they have the same font, color, etc?

That might depend on your computer system. On my system, the VobSub subtitles look nearly the same as the DVD playback, but with slightly better smoothing of the edges of the letters.

Brumous said:
That might depend on your computer system. On my system, the VobSub subtitles look nearly the same as the DVD playback, but with slightly better smoothing of the edges of the letters.
I have Vobsub installed now, but I can't find how to start it. It seems to only be a Virtualdub plugin, as I cannot find the actual program.

EDIT: I found it, it's called "Vobsub configure".

Installing VobSub will create a folder named VSRip_xxx (xxx is either a date or version number). Run the VSRip program that's in that folder. Also, a folder named Gabest is installed in the Program Files folder, you can find more info about customizing the look of subtitles there.

Brumous said:
oops my mistake, VSRip is a separate program you have to get separately from VobSub. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VSRip
Well, I actually managed to rip them with Vobsub. The problem is, in Virtualdub, the only format I can export is AVI, and I don't want to do that, as transcoding will result in quality loss.

Back
Top Bottom