• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

House of Cards Remake

leeroy said:
don't they already do this? my nephew has an xbox and you can pretty much stream a movie the same day it's a available to buy. with sky tv you can rent/watch a new dvd release without having to leave your home.

To some extent, yes. There is the cable On Demand and Walmart's Vudu where it's pay-per-view, but a subscription service like Netflix is left out for two reasons: monthly subscription as opposed to per view, and Netflix is the biggest in the U.S. and the studios are scared of their dominance.

this i an interesting quote from matt stone the co-creator of south park that i read the over day

“There is no appointment viewing anymore… In our first season, you had to show up on Wednesday nights at 10 p.m. on the Comedy Channel to catch the show. Now, I don’t even know where or how people watch our show. We sort of don’t really care about ratings. It’s more important to come up with work that will add to the library in a way that we’re proud of and will make people want to catch the show wherever they want to.”

http://screenrant.com/south-park-short-season-17-10-episodes/

leeroy said:
don't they already do this? my nephew has an xbox and you can pretty much stream a movie the same day it's a available to buy. with sky tv you can rent/watch a new dvd release without having to leave your home.

Good point. There is definitely a distinction between on-demand type services where you pay for the specific movie to watch once vs. monthly subscription to a giant library with unlimited viewings.

Music has blurred the lines between these two types of services, but if I were a movie studio exec, I would be very resistant to letting things go that route.

Q2 said:
To some extent, yes. There is the cable On Demand and Walmart's Vudu where it's pay-per-view, but a subscription service like Netflix is left out for two reasons: monthly subscription as opposed to per view, and Netflix is the biggest in the U.S. and the studios are scared of their dominance.

^ Imagine if Netflix were to become like Facebook and monopolize access to that viewership. That would pretty much be unlimited power. Then Netflix could turn around and gouge the studios on rates, like iTunes did with the music industry for a number of years.

i guess the studios in the same as the music industry have to move with the times in that they a growing number of people who no-longer want to physically own a CD or DVD. here in the UK HMV our only high street music store is in danger of going out of business simply because it's failed to move with consumers demands.

for me a show like LOST is great example of the service netflix offers. LOST was available to those who subscribed to SKY so it was a show i never saw, there's no way i'm gonna buy the dvd's given that i don't know if i'll enjoy the show. having them available to view on Netflix i may give to a go given the amount of hype the show received.

so i guess when a show has had it's run and has been made available to DVD it seems logical that shows become available to stream

Pretty soon we'll be buying our tv from televisoncamp.

Halfway through, no where near as good as the original but it's quirky and I like what they've done with the story. Nice to see that Claire is a much more important player this time around.

Really missed the

"I want to call you daddy."

Line :(

E2A: Scrub that, just seen ep 7. LOL, very clever twist.

nOmArch said:
Halfway through, no where near as good as the original but it's quirky and I like what they've done with the story.

I call troll. It's an American remake, so it HAS to be better!

;)

The show was a lot of fun, but I think that's because I lived in DC for years and really appreciated Fincher's verisimilitude in his filming locations (unlike... most movies and TV set in the area). Plus, it's obviously setting up for a second season, but I guess that's expected at this point.

The original ran to three seasons so I would expect them to follow suite if the ratings are good.

I finished this a few days ago. And it was awesome.

The first season was entertaining. It wasn't as good as the original, which I saw when it aired, but it was very well done with only a few disappointments – surprisingly Kevin Spacey wasn't one of them. (I usually dislike him.)

Being able to watch the whole season at my own pace was ideal, as my job keeps me busy for long stretches punctuated by bursts of free time. This way of releasing content is, I hope, the future because if one has subscribed, the provider has the money and little to gain by piecemeal release.

Back
Top Bottom