• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Hosts with the Most (A place to talk about different file hosting options)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought I'd start a thread to share info about the various file/storage hosting sites and what they offer. The main focus will be on the free options each hosting site offers to help members find the best option for their personal file hosting needs.

I'll update the OP with pros and cons and new hosting options that members post about in this thread. Members can then use the search keywords tool at the bottom of the page to look for specific posts within this thread that discuss a particular hosting site.

*DISCLAIMER*

THIS THREAD IS ONLY TO DISCUSS THE VARIOUS HOSTING SITES AVAILABLE ON THE INTERNET.
NO LINKS MAY BE SHARED THAT CONTAIN ANY COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS PERIOD.

And with that out of the way, here we go.

CLOUD BASED OPTIONS
These options offer cloud based storage and management that is accessed via your computer and/or via an app.'
Terabox
PROS
1tb of free storage
Premium is $36 annual subscription or $3.99 per month (2tb of cloud storage, 1080p playback, 20gb per file)
CONS
Max of 4gb per file (free version)
720p video playback (free version)

Playbook
PROS
100gb of free space ($10 per month for each additional 100gb of space)
Share playbooks (can disable downloads for streaming only options)
Share file links to allow for file downloads
Share playbooks with other users for ease of access
CONS
Streaming links don't embed in the forum
Requires a Terabox download client to do high speed downlaods with PC

4Shared
PROS

15gb of free storage
Easy to share
CONS
Limited storage space
Limited to 3gb of traffic per day
Limited to 30gb of traffic per month

Degoo
PROS

100gb of free storage
Fast download speeds
Files able to stream from hosting site
CONS
File management isn't intuitive/easy
File size limited to 512mb for free accounts

Dropbox
PROS

Easy to share
CONS
Limited storage space (2gb for free accounts)

Google Drive
PROS
15gb of free storage
Files stream or download
Easy file management and ability to share
CONS
Download limits (unknown parameters)

MediaFire
PROS

10gb of free storage
Easy to share
CONS
limited storage space

Mega.nz
PROS
Free 15gb of storage
File encryption
Most people use this so it's easy for others to navigate
Easy file management and sharing
CONS
Downloads allowed up to ~10gb before IP throttled
promotes 50gb free but if you use this you will be forced to delete files to return to the baseline 15gb or upgrade
Megadownloader needed to get decent download speeds with option to resume (software is very hard to find too)

Smash
PROS
Unlimited File Size for uploads
Encrypted files
CONS
Priority treatment of sendings up to 2gb (I assume this means throttling after 2gb)
Files only available for 14 days on free accounts
No stats for files

Zippyshare
PROS
Free infinite Storage
No throttled bandwidth
Easy upload
great for zipped archives
Simple and easy online file management
CONS
If files are not downloaded within 30 days of upload or being downloaded they are deleted from the server
File size restriction to 500mb
If using Jdownloader to download, will need to set maximum chunks to 5+ or speeds will be slow

Anonfiles
PROS
20gb file size limit
Unlimited storage space
Unlimited hosting time
Masks IP on uploads
Registered users can search uploaded files in account
CONS
Mixed reviews
Some redirects to spam if not using download manager
PERSONAL MEDIA SERVER OPTIONS
These options turn your hardware/computer into a media server that can be accessed by yourself and others. You provide your own storage on your own device.
Emby
PROS

Streaming options (Movies, Music, Photos)
4K support
Windows, MacOS, Android support
CONS
Slight learning curve to set up server
Requires a personal server (can be your personal pc)
Requires you to provide storage space
Download options only available via monthly subscription (Emby Premiere)
Streaming file quality based on your internet speed

JellyFin
PROS
Completely Free/Open Source
Streaming & Downloading options (Movies, Music, Photos)
4K support
Windows, MacOS, Android support
CONS
Slight learning curve to set up server

PLEX
PROS

Streaming & Downloading options (Movies, Music, Photos)
4K support
Windows, MacOS, Android
Movie channels provided by studios
CONS
No app support with free account
P2P OPTIONS
These options are direct sharing between devices via internet and/or server connections. You to provide your own storage.
FTP
PROS

Direct access
CONS
Learning curve

Seedboxes
PROS

Inexpensive
Good amount of storage
Fast
CONS
Not free
Torrent (if you're anti-torrent)

Usenet
PROS

Secure sharing
CONS
Sharp learning curve
Not Free
Don't see your preferred hosting site? Post info about the hosting site you prefer and share some pros and cons and we'll add it to this list. Hopefully this thread will help us all find the best fit for our file hosting needs.

Last edited:

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure I fully understand the 50gb limitation with mega.nz. I've heard a lot of complaints about stuff getting deleted, but I've not had the issue at all and I've been over the 15gb limit for well over a year, probably longer.

I have had an email saying the account needs to be used when it's been inactive for a while, but then I just login and the problem is solved.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dropbox has a download limit similar to Google, but at least it's clearly defined: 20GB download / day for a free account (more for a paid account). After that it locks downloads for 24 hours. I've had this happen once (so far).

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wanted to weigh in on MEGA and Dropbox.  I pay to use both, so I wanted to throw in what I like about the paid versions.

When it comes to storing fan edits (both mine and others that I enjoy), I use MEGA.  I pay US $12 a month and I get 2tb of storage.  This has been extremely useful when I upload my own fan edits with multiple drafts and when I keep extra copies of ones I don't want to lose.  With so much space, I don't worry about compressing the file size of anything.

Dropbox started out as strictly something I used for work and then I added my wife onto the account (We each have our own file names on the main page, we didn't create an account for her because that wasn't an option at the time and now we're kind of set).  I believe it's US $11 a month and I have 2tb here as well.  Now, this goes in a different direction for fan edits.....I actually set it up to use as my own streaming service.  PLEX requires a designated computer that needs to be on all of the time.  I didn't want that because I don't have a desktop and some weekends I leave my laptop in my work bag until it's time for work.  Roku has an app called Roksbox which costs a one time US $5 for the initial app and then I set it up to stream from files in a designated folder on Dropbox.  This is where I will store sometimes compressed versions of fan edits or I have to convert them to .mp4 which works 100% of the time compared to the 50/50 chance mkv will work.  I've even set up different categories and added poster art as well.  I've been able to store hundreds of movies on there to be able to stream anywhere in the house and before quarantining led to us getting our basement finished off into a movie room/hangout space, streaming on Roksbox was our go-to way to watch anything I downloaded or uploaded from my own physical collection.

MEGA is definitely great, but Dropbox wins on being able to have it like a program on your computer that you can immediately open and close and watch things using your computers player while MEGA is just online without it functioning like it's a program on your computer (I'm not sure the more technical term for this.....client?).

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
I'm not sure I fully understand the 50gb limitation with mega.nz. I've heard a lot of complaints about stuff getting deleted, but I've not had the issue at all and I've been over the 15gb limit for well over a year, probably longer.

I have had an email saying the account needs to be used when it's been inactive for a while, but then I just login and the problem is solved.

I've had a similar experience. My first free mega account has the full 50gb, but my newer accounts have the 15gb limitation after a certain period of time. It's actually why I moved some files to zippyshare.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
... while MEGA is just online without it functioning like it's a program on your computer (I'm not sure the more technical term for this.....client?).

A term for this is "software as a service" or saas. At least I think that's the part you're referring to. It's a web service only accessible through your browser.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Someone once sent me an edit through a website called FromSmash, which boasts "no file size limits, no registration and no ads." I have no idea how trustworthy it is, but it is intriguing. I've been meaning to read up more on it. Is anyone familiar with it?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Someone once sent me an edit through a website called FromSmash, which boasts "no file size limits, no registration and no ads." I have no idea how trustworthy it is, but it is intriguing. I've been meaning to read up more on it. Is anyone familiar with it?

Found this at their website. I'll add them to the list. Looks like there is throttling after 2gb of download size for free users.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ it looks like they also only keep files up for two weeks. Even on pro they only stay up for a year, so it's not good if you want your files permanently available.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You're limiting your list to only cloud storage sites. I would recommend expand it to seedboxes as well. While not necessarily as private, with a VPN you're pretty safe. Example: I use seedbox.io. It's roughly $6/month for 600GB storage and unmetered bandwidth, and a heck of a lot faster than Mega and other "free" services. And while it is torrenting, it's private as it's your own seedbox and not shared on public trackers.

PROS
Inexpensive
Good amount of storage
Fast

CONS
Not free

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
You're limiting your list to only cloud storage sites. I would recommend expand it to seedboxes as well. While not necessarily as private, with a VPN you're pretty safe. Example: I use seedbox.io. It's roughly $6/month for 600GB storage and unmetered bandwidth, and a heck of a lot faster than Mega and other "free" services. And while it is torrenting, it's private as it's your own seedbox and not shared on public trackers.

PROS
Inexpensive
Good amount of storage
Fast

CONS
Not free

I had thought about adding Torrent, Usenet and Seedbox options but originally wanted to focus on just the free options. Also, I didn't want to steal any thunder from your great Seedbox write up ;) I think adding info on paid options is a good thing. Updating OP.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've used Google drive to host my edits since starting this hobby. I manage to avoid download limits by having multiple drive accounts:

malthusfiles@...
malthusfiles2@...
malthusfiles3@...

And so on

This system has worked really well for me especially since I keep my file size under 15gb. Yesterday I released my latest edit and my download limit was hit. So I started look into various alternative hosting options. I found this article rather interesting.

https://www.cloudwards.net/best-cloud-storage/

#4 on the list - https://icedrive.net/ looks promising. Does anyone have experience with this?

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I decided to give icedrive a try and I'm very impressed so far. £40 (~$55) for an annual account with 1TB of storage and 2TB per month of bandwidth.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just found blomp. Here's their hosting service breakdown. The 2tb option beats what google offers. The files don't stream, but the download speeds look to be unmetered. If you want a free account let me know and I can send you an email. I think it gives us both an additional 20gb of space with each referral.

Free 20gb250gb2tb10tb50tb
20-200 GB - Free
ACTIVE
20 GB of storage
Up to 200 GB
Add 20GB for every friend who joins
*Monthly Logins (required)

$0.99 -- 1 MONTH
$2.97 -- 3 MONTH
$5.94 -- 6 MONTH
$11.88 -- 1 YEAR

250 GB of storage
Everything in Basic Plan
Unlimited Files
Unlimited Memories
Community Support
Email / Forum Support

$2.99 -- 1 MONTH
$8.97 -- 3 MONTH
$17.94 -- 6 MONTH
$35.88 -- 1 YEAR

2 TB of storage
Everything in 250 GB Plan
Unlimited Files
Unlimited Memories
Unlimited Creativity!
Community Support
Unmetered Bandwidth
24/7 Telephone Support
$9.99 -- 1 MONTH
$29.97 -- 3 MONTH
$59.94 -- 6 MONTH
$119.88 -- 1 YEAR

10 TB of storage
Everything in 2 TB Plan
Unlimited Files
Unlimited Memories
Unlimited Creativity!
Community Support
Unmetered Bandwidth
24/7 Telephone Support

$45.95 -- 1 MONTH
$137.85 -- 3 MONTH
$275.7 -- 6 MONTH
$551.4 -- 1 YEAR

50 TB of storage
Everything in 10 TB Plan
Unlimited Files
Unlimited Memories
Unlimited Creativity!
Community Support
Unmetered Bandwidth
24/7 Telephone Support

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Playbook
100gb of free space ($10 per month for each additional 100gb of space)
Share playbooks (can disable downloads for streaming only options)
Share file links to allow for file downloads
Share playbooks with other users for ease of access

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well my playbook was deactivated today, so I'm not sure it is going to be a viable hosting site.

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm giving terabox a try. So far easy and fast uploads. Honestly the lack of convenient free options for hosting large files has been the main thing keeping me from sharing more of my fanedits here. If this works out I might start submitting more edits to the ifdb!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm giving terabox a try. So far easy and fast uploads. Honestly the lack of convenient free options for hosting large files has been the main thing keeping me from sharing more of my fanedits here. If this works out I might start submitting more edits to the ifdb!
Terabox seems to be reliable and has a TON of free space. The only downside is the file size limit, but if you create split zipped files it works fantastic.

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Terabox seems to be reliable and has a TON of free space. The only downside is the file size limit, but if you create split zipped files it works fantastic.
Looks like they're only providing 10gb to new free accounts now. You have to get a friend to sign up to get 1tb. To download shared files you either need to create an account and save the files to your terabox first (restricted by your terabox storage capacity) or install the desktop client. So definitely not as great as it appeared.

Kestrel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for this write-up! I'm trying out Smash. Their 2gb priority is actually a queue. Currently have a 16 hour wait time before I can get a shareable link.

Top Bottom