• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Hobbit Trilogy - TM2YC's Entirely Respectable Editions

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes another Hobbit project... sorry everyone :blush: .

31829963928_54507700ae_c.jpg

I've watched many Hobbit edits, some okay, some brilliant but none that were exactly what I was looking for. I don't expect anybody to be interested beyond myself, so I probably won't be posting the usual amount of updates (Just when I need some community feedback).

I have no grand goals beyond removing anything and everything I deem to be silly, over-played, misjudged, out of character and inconsistent with the tone established in the LotR trilogy. This won't be a book cut, a narrative restructure, or a two film deal and I'm not seeking to up the pace, achieve a certain runtime, or to reshape the narrative.

For example: None of Radagast's scenes will be removed but birds don't live in his hat, stick-insects don't live in his mouth and he doesn't ride a rabbit powered sled FFS.

monty_python_silly.jpg

I'll be working on AUJ before starting the other two movies.

I'd welcome fanedit project title suggestions (the films will retain the same titles) that convey the tone change aspect. Thanks.

I have just under half the film edited already but the first clip I'd like to present is my removal of Radagast (and his rabbit sled) from the section between the Troll cave and the Rivendell cave (his conversation with Gandalf will be used later).

- The commotion caused by Radagast's sled arriving is now just the approach of the Warg scouts
- Sting now glows blue as danger approaches
- Radagast cropped out of a few shots
- Chase across the plains has been heavily reordered to portray a cat-and-mouse between the Dwarfs and Warg riders, plus the feeling that Gandalf is trying to lead them somewhere. Them closing in and circling the party. Hopefully this all feels natural with all the Radagast material removed.
- Regrading, rescoring and additional soundFX

(Password: fanedit.org)

Original scenes for comparison:

revstevens

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I'm interested. I don't care about having an edit faithful to the book, but I hate the Goblin King with a scrot hanging from his chin and physics-defying action that goes so far out there that it's completely unbelievable.

No title ideas to offer at the moment. But I'll pass something along if I think of anything.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Hobbit: A Quite Expected Journey
Or
A Quite Expected Edit of an Unexpected Journey.

moviefan95

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, you actually got the color grading to look like the LOTR movies. Nobody until now has managed to get it quite right (not even me). That alone gives me interest in this edit. Now if only there were a way to replace the CGI Orcs with actors in prosthetics, remove Radagast's poopy hair, and remove the Great Goblin's "scrotum beard." ;-)

Seriously though, this sounds really cool. I look forward to this one.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
A Quite Expected Edit of an Unexpected Journey.

That is very funny :D... although a similarly titled edit does already exist on IFDB:

Hobbit: The Expected Cut of An Unexpected Journey

Plus it's only applicable to the first film.

By the way, how do people feel about the "Merry old Inn" song at Rivendell from the EE? I always planned to cut it but I'm starting to have doubts. I very much dislike the food fight element but I do like the Tolkien song. I much prefer Ian Holm's version from the 1981 BBC adaptation of LotR:

I also adore Bill Nighy's beautiful Gil-Galad song but I digress.

I think I'll get myself a copy of the Theatrical Cuts to see how the scene went without the song.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think Merry Old Inn performed by Bofur and the dwarves is very fun, but it might be unnecessary. To be honest it depends on the pacing if you ask me. If you think something like that would help the flow then I'd say keep it, I think it's fun. However Rivendell is pretty long anyway and keeping that might make that section drag even longer. So I think you should decide thinking about the overall flow and pacing.

Curious though, why do you dislike the food fight element of it?

By the way, will you restore Howard Shore's brilliant original score that was unused, like @"kerr" did?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
you should decide thinking about the overall flow and pacing.

I'm not bothered about pacing, I like hanging out in Middle Earth, just not the released version of ME... tis a silly place ;) .

Masirimso17 said:
why do you dislike the food fight element of it?

It's taken way too far into comedy territory IMO. I get Dwarfs being loud, boisterous and uncouth but flinging food at the wall of their hosts (and saviors) seems OTT. Them singing loudly and banging the tables etc would have been great but it should have stopped there. You can't cut around the food fight, or tone it down because you can't cut the audio of the singing, so it's gotta be there 100% or not at all.

hqdefault.jpg

I'm edging toward not at all. It does also interrupt the flow between Thorin's displeasure with Elrond's questions at the table and his continued displeasure in the library.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I'm edging toward not at all. It does also interrupt the flow between Thorin's displeasure with Elrond's questions at the table and his continued displeasure in the library.

I don't think the food fight is that much until Bofur finishes the song. After that the food does fly everywhere but you can cut it getting that bad. Maybe transition into the next scene with an establishing shot while they're laughing?

Also about the displeasure between Elrond and Thorin, @"kerr" wanted to create a different dynamic between Elrond and Thorin so he rearranged the dinner scene a little bit. It goes like this:

ELROND: How did you come by these?
GANDALF: We found them in a Troll-hoard on the Great East Road, shortly before we were ambushed by Orcs.
ELROND: Thirteen dwarves and a halfling... Strange travelling companions, Gandalf.
THORIN: Excuse me... (leaves table)

Then he uses the scenes with Bilbo exploring Rivendell and talking to Elrond which then transitions to the Moon Runes scene, creating a sequence with Bilbo exploring then walking to the Moon Runes scene. All done to bring Bilbo back to the forefront. You could mimic that if you want to keep the song. Or even without the song, it's a good idea. Lots to love in the Arkenstone Edition, it is my favorite.

revstevens

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
That is very funny :D... although a similarly titled edit does already exist on IFDB:

Hobbit: The Expected Cut of An Unexpected Journey

Plus it's only applicable to the first film.

How about 'Bilbo Begins' 'The Bilbo Baggins' and 'The Bilbo Baggins Returns Home'?

Or, more seriously, what if you just group them all under the banner of 'The One Ring Edition'? Since it's supposed to tonally fit within LOTR that would make sense to me.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
I don't think the food fight is that much until Bofur finishes the song.

There is some flinging of food in the middle too (plus other silliness).

Masirimso17 said:
Also about the displeasure between Elrond and Thorin, @"kerr" wanted to create a different dynamic between Elrond and Thorin so he rearranged the dinner scene a little bit. It goes like this:

ELROND: How did you come by these?
GANDALF: We found them in a Troll-hoard on the Great East Road, shortly before we were ambushed by Orcs.
ELROND: Thirteen dwarves and a halfling... Strange travelling companions, Gandalf.
THORIN: Excuse me... (leaves table)

I'll think on that one.

Masirimso17 said:
Then he uses the scenes with Bilbo exploring Rivendell and talking to Elrond which then transitions to the Moon Runes scene, creating a sequence with Bilbo exploring then walking to the Moon Runes scene. All done to bring Bilbo back to the forefront. You could mimic that if you want to keep the song. Or even without the song, it's a good idea. Lots to love in the Arkenstone Edition, it is my favorite.

The Arkenstone Edition was an early favourite of mine too. That's a very good idea. I never liked the untidiness of the Rivendell sequence constantly shifting back and forth between day and night anyway. Thanks.

revstevens said:
How about 'Bilbo Begins' 'The Bilbo Baggins' and 'The Bilbo Baggins Returns Home'?

Ha!

revstevens said:
Or, more seriously, what if you just group them all under the banner of 'The One Ring Edition'? Since it's supposed to tonally fit within LOTR that would make sense to me.

It's a possibility but a bit generic.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Hobbit: Of a Journey Unknown
The Hobbit: Dragon of Desolation
The Hobbit: War of Five Kingdoms

These names are probably awful, but I just came up with them.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How about the Not Quite as Much Butter Scraped Over Not as Much Bread Edition?

douchebag

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Hobbit: A Dragon's Quest
The Hobbit: Thief in the Halls
The Hobbit: King Under the Mountain

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Hobbit:
  • Bold but Wary
  • Tookish Edition
  • No Use for Adventures
  • Harps and Gold Cut

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Too unwieldy but this is the kind of thing I'm looking for...

DigModiFicaTion said:
How about the Not Quite as Much Butter Scraped Over Not as Much Bread Edition?

Less Bread Edition? :D

addiesin said:
Tookish Edition

^ That's worth considering. Thanks.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Household adjectives, maybe? The "pruned/tidied/whittled/polished/trimmed/spackled/patched" cuts...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
'J.R.R Tolkien's Enter the Dragon'

?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
'J.R.R Tolkien's Enter the Dragon'

For the win! 

Or the if you want it then you better put a ring on it edition.

Top Bottom