• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Hobbit Trilogy - TM2YC's Entirely Respectable Editions

Masirimso17 said:
TM2YC said:
Here is a second version of the Erebor charge using the more exciting film version of the AUJ troll charge music. I've added some more soundFX and reordered the scenes after the charge so we see more of the Dwarfs kicking arse and now Bard's rallying cry and his charge happen together and after the full Misty Mountains theme resolves. This is soooo much better IMO :) . Hope it works for everyone else:

(Password: fanedit.org)

Hmm. It works pretty well, but just to me it feels too casual and not epic enough. I honestly still prefer "Sons of Durin" especially the part after Thorin yells "Du bekar!" and it transitions to Thorin's theme with the epic chorus behind it. Also after I edited Fire and Water I had worked on Battle of the Five Armies a little so I remember Over Hill fitting perfectly right before it transitions to Thorin's theme in Sons of Durin. I was so satisfied with it.

But of course, it's your edit so whatever you feel fits best then do it like that!

I'd love to see/hear your Over Hill rescore to see how it works, if you can upload it to youtube. I definitely prefer rescoring the charge with Misty Mountains but I'm open to rescoring it in a different way.

TM2YC said:
I'd love to see/hear your Over Hill rescore to see how it works, if you can upload it to youtube. I definitely prefer rescoring the charge with Misty Mountains but I'm open to rescoring it in a different way.

I thought that too but unfortunately I don’t have it or the old edit draft anymore. Shouldn’t be too hard to redo though if you’d like? Should be a good exercise too.

TM2YC said:
Thanks for giving it a go. It almost succeeds and works much better than I thought it could but a couple of quick shots of something we've never seen before feels "edited". If there was an earlier shot establishing that Radagast is on a sled before those quick cuts it might be acceptable but IIRC, it's a shot from below with the rabbits all over the frame. Plus it would be very difficult to remove the sled/rabbits from the later big wide shot of Gandalf and Radagast where Gandalf says "I need that horse".

Yeah, you're probably right. Without establishing shot it doesn't feel right. I don't mind the sleight being in, since it's just few shots and it's not too distracting - The scene heavily focuses on the confrontation with the Nazgul. So, leaving it in is the best option.

What is you plan regarding the Were-worms and the Elves jumping over Dwarves sequences?

So I did it...

FreshHelpfulAmericanalligator-size_restricted.gif

P.S. If you like it you can use it if you want!

Masirimso17 said:
So I did it...

OK. I want the full song :)
This sounds epic!!

Masirimso17 said:
So I did it...

An RLM meme back at ya...

49755981203_995161d5eb.jpg

Thanks for doing that!  :) I really like your rescore, the mixes of the different pieces of music and vocal tracks is seamless. I prefer it to the original piece of music, however, I don't prefer it to my new choice of music, it's the big heroic crescendo when the shields part and we Thorin I'm after.

Would you be interested in me including it as an alternate audio track for this edit? I'd have to send you my cut of that scene (which includes my trims to the battle and rearranged bard footage), then you could sync your rescore up to that, send it back and I can cut it into my timeline. You might want to keep it for your own edit though.

Belgarath said:
What is you plan regarding the Were-worms and the Elves jumping over Dwarves sequences?

I don't have a problem with either of those elements, in fact I like them.

TM2YC said:
Thanks for doing that!  :) I really like your rescore, the mixes of the different pieces of music and vocal tracks is seamless. I prefer it to the original piece of music, however, I don't prefer it to my new choice of music, it's the big heroic crescendo when the shields part and we Thorin I'm after.

Would you be interested in me including it as an alternate audio track for this edit? I'd have to send you my cut of that scene (which includes my trims to the battle and rearranged bard footage), then you could sync your rescore up to that, send it back and I can cut it into my timeline. You might want to keep it for your own edit though.

That’d be awesome! Send me a PM and we’ll discuss it! If I do edit my version of the film I will include it though, hope that isn’t a problem.

I've decided to have another look at the controversial bit where Legolas leaps across falling bricks and tried a few different approaches to cut it differently but I've finally decided to just remove it, rather than minimize it. I found a nice way match a few Legolas moves together into one, remixed the sound/music, added a little new soundFX and here you go:

Looks great, I couldn't tell where the cuts were at all.

Looks like a cool project. I like the idea. Although the first thing I noticed is, with your original post, you say stuff about silly things being cut, but in the epic final charge you have kept shots of catapult trolls & the blind, peg legged, armless, slave trolls. I'd definitely consider removing those scenes, it can be done and flow fine, I did it in my version. Also the scene of the Dwarves rallying when Bilbo notices doesn't look real at all, the theatrical version has a more normal looking clip in that same spot that I think most people prefer / it is almost always the version used in fan edits.

I also feel like (as someone who is first time viewing your clips) the music should reach it's peak and play the classic bit as soon as you see the Dwarves charging out, because you see them charging and the music builds up, but then nothing becomes of it, they're still just charging. For example, the troll scene you hear the build up, Kili says to drop Bilbo, it's still building up, then boom everyone charges as the music hits.

Gaith said:
^ Much more respectable. :)

asterixsmeagol said:
Looks great, I couldn't tell where the cuts were at all.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

m4semperfi said:
you say stuff about silly things being cut

Stuff that "I deem to be silly". It's always gonna come down to personal taste.

m4semperfi said:
but in the epic final charge you have kept shots of catapult trolls & the blind, peg legged, armless, slave trolls.

I've no problem with those, except I've removed when Bofur rides one and the catapult troll flips over of course. I like the Horror aspect (no doubt dreamed up by gore-hound Peter Jackson) and I like seeing the twisted/cruel improvised Orc versions of siege engines, tanks and chariots etc. I grew up playing Warhammer, so they feel very Orcish too me.

m4semperfi said:
Also the scene of the Dwarves rallying when Bilbo notices doesn't look real at all, the theatrical version has a more normal looking clip in that same spot

I did not know that thanks :) . Comparing the two, I don't think the EE version looks all that bad (compared with the general standard of CGI in the film) and the intent of the shot is slightly clearer but yeah the original is better. I think I'll dig out my TC blu-ray of BotFA and use that. Thanks again :) .

m4semperfi said:
the music should reach it's peak and play the classic bit as soon as you see the Dwarves charging out

I much prefer it the way I've got it with the musical crescendo as the shields part on Thorin, the moment should be about Thorin. There is a popular 1-film fanedit called the 'Maple Films Edit' by eldusto84 from 2016. It rescores that scene just as you describe. Check it out, it's a very nice fanedit. Google and you'll find it easily.

Anyways I know im late but that warg chase Dwarf scene you originally edited a while ago is awesome, it really is a great scene from the movies, a made-up scene by PJ too not even from the book, with no flaws (Other than radagast being a troll with his silly rabbits). So you're still just updating it, all 3 already out?

m4semperfi said:
Anyways I know im late but that warg chase Dwarf scene you originally edited a while ago is awesome, it really is a great scene from the movies, a made-up scene by PJ too not even from the book, with no flaws (Other than radagast being a troll with his silly rabbits). So you're still just updating it, all 3 already out?

AUJ and DoS are out already, BotFA is nearing completion. Maybe sometime this week. I've added that Dwarf charge shot you mentioned, thanks.

Battle of the Five Armies is now finished (PM if you're interested) :) . It'll be listed on ifdb tomorrow.

hobbit_botfa_ere_3dview.jpg

That completes The Hobbit trilogy in versions that I'll be 100% happy to re-watch from now. Big thanks to pioneering Hobbit faneditors like @"Menbailee" , @"spence" , @"eldusto84" , @"whenwasiborn" , @"L8wrtr" , @"Belgarath" , @"Funny Puzzle" , @"Masirimso17" and @"kerr" for creating edits that have inspired me with possibilities over the years. Special thanks to @"Masirimso17" for the bonus rescore track for BotFA and to @"kerr" for allowing me to use his version of the Acorn deleted scene in this edit (he did an amazing job finishing it off with his own FX and sound work).

All together my trilogy is 473-minutes (nearly 8-hours), with about 1.5-hours cut in total. The LotR EE trilogy was about 12-hours, so it's two thirds of that.

Here is the cutlist for BotFA:

CUTLIST:

- INTRO, DOL GOLDUR & TITLECARD:
00.00.00 - TM2YC and FE.org titlecards added.
00.00.27 - Replaced tacky 3D studio titlecards with less elaborate ones from the LotR era (from LoTR, OHMSS and THX 1138 blu-rays).
00.01.06 - Tinted the titles blue to match the look of the LotR titles.
00.01.20 - Used Hobbit title from AUJ for consistency.
00.01.29 - Rescored opening with the track 'A Spell of Concealment'. Added soundFX.
00.01.32 - Used reversed already reversed shot of Dol Goldur from later in the film to use as a new opening shot. Heavily regraded to match following footage.
00.01.36 - Inserted scene of Gandalf and Radagast arriving at Dol Goldur from DoS as the new prologue sequence.
00.03.21 - Removed 3 shots of Gandalf looking round Dol Goldur (and being watched by Thrain) to smoothly link into the first shot of the second Dol Goldur sequence from DoS.
00.09.29 - Inserted third Dol Goldur sequence from DoS, to follow the last in one complete sequence.
00.11.23 - Removed one shot of Thrain with an annoying 'wilhelm scream'. Added a new scream soundFX.
00.12.52 - Mixed in first BotFA Dol Goldur scene into the last Dol Guldor shot from DoS. Added soundFX.
00.13.12 - Mixed both scenes of Gandalf in the cage into one. Rescored with the track 'The Nature of Evil' and added drum soundFX.
00.13.40 - Brought forward scene of Azog's army marching across a plain to link in with Gandalf watching them depart, to form a new 'The Battle of Five Armies' titlecard. This early placement of the scene also serves to give an explanation of what happened to Legolas between DoS and BotFA, so his doesn't later just appear out of nowhere.
00.13.49 - Added new subtitle from Bolg "Father. I have news." to establish his relationship with Azog again.
00.13.51 - Removed 3-seconds of the army marching to remove Bolg's pointless "Woodland Elves!" subtitle.
00.14.20 - Added new subtitle from Azog "Son. Ride to Gundabad..." to further clarify their relationship.
- SHORES OF LAKETOWN:
00.14.46 - Brought forward first scene on the shores of Laketown as the new post-prologue beginning. Added soundFX.
00.14.52 - Removed a few shots of Alfrid screaming and rolling round in the water, plus trimmed shot of beach by 10-seconds.
00.15.07 - Removed shot of Alfrid screaming "Why me!".
00.15.48 - Removed 33-seconds of creepy CGI Legolas interrupting Tauriel and Kili. Remixed audio.
00.16.05 - Removed 2-seconds of creepy CGI Legolas watching Tauriel and Kili.
00.16.30 - Removed 1 shot of Alfrid shouting "I'll catch my death in this cold".
00.16.55 - Removed 10 frames of Alfrid pausing before looking round at Bard to tone down the overplayed comedy.
00.17.40 - Removed 6-seconds of Alfrid shouting "All hail to the dragon slayer". Recut footage.
00.17.47 - Removed 2-seconds of Alfrid shouting "A born leader". Recut footage.
00.18.04 - Removed Alfrid saying "No".
00.18.13 - Removed 5-seconds of Alfrid saying "I said Master, no!".
00.18.16 - Removed 10-seconds of Alfrid crying "Think of the children" and being kicked by Bard's daughter.
00.18.38 - Removed 5-seconds of Alfrid interrupting Bard's speech and Bard talking about winter.
- EREBOR, BACK AT LAKETOWN & DOL GOLDUR STRUGGLE:
00.20.18 - Removed one "Thorin" by Bilbo, so he only says it two times now.
00.21.58 - Inserted a horizontally flipped shot of Bilbo reacting to Thorin's madness before we cut to Bilbo alone outside. Rescored new transition.
00.22.00 - Removed 30-second scene of the Dawrves happily being reunited, while Thorin searches for the Arkenstone. Thorin being out of his King robes in this one sequence is a continuity problem and a thematic problem. The happy reunion is totally at odds with the sombre tone of the surrounding material.
00.22.34 - Re-saturated flashback footage.
00.22.47 - Re-saturated flashback footage.
00.22.55 - De-saturated ring-vision flashback footage (except the Arkenstone).
00.22.59 - Re-saturated flashback footage.
00.23.40 - Removed 35-seconds of Alfrid talking to Bard, him being mean to an old woman and Legolas talking to Bard. Horizontally flipped closeup of Bard and Legolas to match their new positions.
00.23.56 - Combined both Legolas scenes into one, after the Azog/Bolg scene was used earlier. Rescored new transition.
00.26.11 - Removed 4-seconds of Gandalf slapping the Orc with a chain. A bit excessive for me.
00.29.18 - Removed 7-seconds of Galadriel saying "Come back" to Gandalf. It sounds like she is saying he has actually died... what again!?
00.31.38 - Heavily brightened and regraded all shots of Galdriel when she is facing down Sauron, so she looks more like an angelic being and not a dank green swamp creature.
- BACK AT EREBOR & GANDALF AND RADAGAST:
00.33.24 - Moved 1-minute scene of Gandalf and Radagast talking to later, to give them some time to travel. Rescored new transition.
00.34.49 - Removed 2-seconds of Balin mentioning "Dragon sickness". Gold, power and general curse type stuff is enough to corrupt Thorin, not this nonsense.
00.37.23 - Inserted Gandalf/Radagast scene with some rescoring and new soundFX.
00.38.18 - Blended end of Radagast scene into arrival at Dale. Added new soundFX.
00.40.39 - Slightly zoomed 1st shot of Gandalf riding to line the composition up closer with the 2nd shot and rotated it to level out the horizon.
00.40.44 - Rotated 2nd Gandalf shot to correct the impression he was suddenly somehow riding up hill, on a vast flat plain.
00.40.46 - Added camera shake/movement to simulate the movement of Gandalf's horse, on this 3rd originally wierd static shot.
00.41.20 - Removed 1-second of Alfrid, so the end of his line plays over Bard's shot. So there is a little less focus on Alfrid.
00.47.42 - Removed 2-seconds of Bilbo doing an exaggerated double-take.
00.48.52 - Removed 3-seconds of Thranduil gazing at his sword and saying "We attack at dawn". Since it's still daylight and Bard only mentioned it being morning 7-minutes earlier it sounds like an odd statement.
00.51.12 - Removed 8-seconds of Thorin saying "One of them is false" in an over exaggerated way.
00.51.11 - Added subtle zoom in on Thorin's face.
00.54.08 - Removed Alfrid shouting "Pointy hat" at Gandalf.
00.54.17 - Removed 4-seconds of Alfrid being cheeky to Gandalf, who now cuts him off much quicker.
00.57.04 - Added new "Legions to war!" subtitle for Bolg.
00.57.35 - Added new "Forward!" subtitle for Bolg.
01.02.50 - Removed 11-seconds of Gandalf going on about "Dragon sickness" to Bilbo.
- DAWN OF THE BATTLE:
01.04.51 - Removed 3-seconds of Thorin mentioning not having paid Bard, which is obvious to everybody present.
01.05.38 - Removed Thorin saying "A filthy lie" after saying it is a "Ruse". Yes we know what that word means.
01.06.05 - Removed 9-seconds of Bilbo making a joke to Thorin about having taken the Arkenstone. Not even Bilbo is naive enough to think Thorin is going to see the funny side. Now he just calmly owns up to what he did, expecting Thorin to be reasonable. That's the right level of naivety.
01.08.46 - Removed a bad CGI shot of the armies and re-ordered the reaction shots. So it now goes Tharanduil-Thorin-Gandalf.
01.12.58 - Removed 19-seconds showing a second wave of arrows and Bow-Cutters. Added soundFX.
01.14.03 - Removed Dain saying a totally generic "Oh come on?!" line.
01.20.07 - Removed 9-seconds of Alfrid screaming "Charge" and generally carrying on in a silly fashion. Now we just see him running like a coward. Added soundFX.
01.20.40 - Adjusted closeup of Bard to stabilise the end.
01.20.43 - Removed the whole 24-second silly sequence where Bard rides a cart down a hill.
01.21.12 - Removed 10-second wide shot of Dale, to be used later. Added soundFX.
01.21.27 - Removed 17-seconds of Alfrid being silly and interrupting the emotional scene between Bard and his kids. Added soundFX. Idea copied almost exactly from kerr's inspired 'Arkenstone' edit.
01.21.29 - Removed another 3-seconds of Alfrid silliness, again copied from Kerr's edit.
01.21.35 - Removed another 3-seconds of Alfrid silliness, again copied from Kerr's edit. It couldn't be done better!
01.21.45 - Removed 9-seconds of Alfrid being silly and him being alongside Bard's kids, which was previously removed.
01.21.53 - Removed 2-second closeup of Thranduil, to be used later. Added soundFX.
01.21.54 - Added extra sword soundFX.
01.21.56 - Inserted closeup of Thranduil, matched to the action of him crashing into the Orcs. FX tweak to end to make it appear he is riding under the shadow of the gate. Added soundFX.
01.21.57 - Removed 2-seconds of Thranduil beheading a lineup of Orcs, retimed cut to make it appear he is just knocking them down. Added soundFX.
01.22.39 - Removed 3-seconds of Dain shouting "You buggers!" and re-timed cut to bring two axe swings into one fluid movement after losing his mount. Remixed soundFX.
01.23.18 - Removed 3-second shot of dead bodies to use later.
01.25.29 - Removed 6-seconds of silence and Thorin saying "Before I kill you". It's overstated. Added soundFX.
01.25.34 - Swapped Balin and Thorin's last shots so we finish on Thorin.
01.25.38 - Inserted establishing shot of Dale ravaged by battle. The same idea as in Kerr's edit. Added soundFX.
01.25.42 - Added Gandalf and Bard's deleted dialogue about the progress of the battle over the shot of Dale, which leads into the next scene.
01.25.47 - Added Kerr's version of the 2-minute Acorn deleted scene (with kind permission). All the music, audio, FX tweaks and completed background FX are his masterful work, from his Arkenstone edit. Lightly regraded to match the rest of this edit.
01.27.37 - Removed 2-minute scene of Thorin wandering the gold floor in Erebor (which didn't happen in these edits). The Acorn scene thematically replaces this scene and the edit to remove it is again replicated from Kerr's fanedit.
- THORIN RETURNS:
01.30.34 - Rescored Thorin's charge out of the Erebor gate with 'Roast Mutton' from the AUJ soundtrack. This incredible theme was sadly lacking from this film and it's inclusion is meant to symbolise the Dwarves becoming heroes again, like they were back when they charged the Trolls to save Bilbo. Added soundFX and remixed audio for the whole of the 2-minute piece. If you select audio track two, you will hear Masirimso17's alternate rescore of this sequence (with a different vocal take on the MM theme).
01.31.25 - Replaced the wide shot of the Dwarves breaking through the Orc ranks, with the slightly better one from the Theatrical Cut.
01.31.38 - Removed 6-seconds of silliness as a Troll with a catapult comically flips over and Bombur belly barges some Orcs.
01.31.40 - Moved 6-second scene of Bard coaching his men to a later point. The music and action is all about the return of our Dwarf heroes for now.
01.31.42 - Removed 6-seconds of silliness involving Bombur again. Added soundFX.
01.31.53 - Removed 6-seconds of silliness involving Ori almost killing Bofur with an axe.
01.32.23 - Removed 17-seconds of Bofur going for a ride on the Troll. Very silly indeed. Added soundFX.
01.32.26 - Inserted 6-second scene of Bard with his men, to form one new scene after the Dwarf heroics have concluded.
01.32.32 - Remixed audio to join two Bard scenes together.
01.33.06 - Removed 4-seconds of Alfrid arguing back about being caught hiding as a woman.
01.34.04 - Removed 3-seconds of Dain saying "There's too many of these buggers Thorin".
01.34.18 - Removed 6-seconds of Dain and Thorin exchanging some cliched and out of character dialogue.
01.34.27 - Inserted reversed shot of Balin slowing down the chariot. Added soundFX.
01.34.30 - Removed embarrasingly cliched "It's been a while since I've done this" line from Balin. Delivered with all the enthusiasm of an actor sitting on a green screen with no idea what is going on.
01.34.39 - Removed Dain saying the generic line "I like it".
01.34.48 - Removed Balin shot I used earlier. Added soundFX.
01.35.50 - Trimmed 1-second of the chariot rounding a corner.
01.35.54 - Removed 1.5-minute silly sequence of the chariot being attacked by a troll, who is in turn attacked by a troll being ridden by Bofor. Now there is a simple match cut to the chariot rounding a bend. This does sadly mean I've removed one of the silliest but most fun moments when Graham McTavish adlibbed the line "Shoot it in his jam bags!" and Aidan Turner couldn't help corpsing on his reply "It doesn't have any jam bags!" and they just left it in the movie!
01.36.05 - Removed silly closeup of Dwalin shouting "You hairy henchpeg" (or something). Remixed audio.
01.36.54 - Removed Dwalin saying the obvious "We're carrying too much weight".
01.37.02 - Slightly sped up the exchange between Balin and Dwalin.
01.37.37 - Removed 3-seconds of Balin saying the boringly generic line "I am too old for this".
01.38.22 - Removed 5-seconds of Alfrid comically adjusting his boobs and mentioning the "Master's mantle". Remixed audio.
01.38.41 - Inserted shots of Bard's number 2 archer retreating and firing to match into the next scene of some archers shooting at a troll. Added soundFX.
01.38.44 - Removed 1.5-minute silly sequence where Gandalf's new staff goes on the fritz, while Alfrid gets catapulted into a Troll's mouth and dies.
- RAVENHILL & FINALE:
01.40.19 - Removed 2-seconds of Bilbo saying "Where is the north exactly?", he might as well have said "Could you really spell the plot out for me please Gandalf?".
01.41.10 - Removed Thorin saying "Do not engage, do you understand?". "Engage" sounds like too modern a term in this context. The meaning of his command is conveyed by the rest of the sentence anyway.
01.42.57 - De-saturated ring-vision shot.
01.44.26 - Removed 1-minute inordinately silly sequence where Bifur gets the axe pulled out of his skull. I didn't draw attention to it being in his head in my first AUJ edit, so I'm not drawing attention to it being removed from his head either. If you spot it's missing from the last couple of shots of Bifur at the end of the film, then well done for paying attention!
01.44.30 - De-saturated ring-vision shot.
01.44.41 - Removed 9-seconds of Fili saying "I've got this". The term sounds too modern and his painfully generic anyway.
01.46.14 - Added soundFX to Fili's death, which were originally censored I assume.
01.49.33 - Removed 4-seconds of Legolas decapitating Orcs, so his move is still fun but not excessively silly.
01.52.05 - Added soundFX to Kili's death, which were originally censored I assume.
01.53.04 - Removed 3-seconds of Tauriel doing a move that looks over elaborate and fake.
01.56.52 - Removed 16-second infamous sequence where Legolas runs across falling blocks of stone. I didn't think it was that bad and I tried to improve it by speeding it up and shortning it but ultimately it could just be removed very neatly.
01.56.52 - Inserted 2 unused shots of Bolg leaping and Legolas thrusting with his dagger to cover the join where the Legolas sequence was removed. Remixed audio.
01.57.14 - Removed 1-second of Bolg being comically crushed under a boulder. He shouldn't go out on a joke.
01.58.32 - Added some camera movement to a fake looking static shot of Radagast riding an eagle.
02.04.57 - Removed 17-seconds of Martin Freeman way over playing his reaction to Thorin's death. He's mostly the best thing in these films but I didn't like this moment.
02.06.08 - Removed 12-seconds of Thranduil mentioning "Arathorn", I like the LotR tease but this was too much teasing.
02.15.41 - Added a snippet of Gandalf absentmindedly singing "...and the road goes ever on..." as he walks away. Taken from an outtake of the same scene from the bonus features.
02.33.28 - Used Warner logo from AUJ for consistency.
02.33.36 - Added fanedit credits with 'A Very Respectable Hobbit' music.

Original Runtime: 2-hours, 44-minutes
Fanedit Runtime: 2-hours, 34-minutes
Time Added: 12-minutes
Time Removed: 22-minutes

Some sample clips:

Exciting news! Another Hobbit edit...! :D

While I've still got the 835gb folder for this project on one of my HDs, I figure I might as well make some short edits too. I might call these the "Stay on the path" edits. I'd be using my three existing edits as the base. Some vague ideas/goals:

- Use a minimal amount of scenes that don't feature Bilbo. Only Thorin and Gandalf are important enough to draw focus when required.
- No prologue(s).
- Absolutely no flashbacks. I'm pretty sure I can make this work without any of the exposition they provide but we'll see.
- "Stay on the path", so we will not be seeing Gandalf tripping off to Dol Goldur, Gundabad, or the High Fells. Gandalf is just a mysterious Wizard with other priorities who disappears all the time like in the book.
- No Radagast. I like him but he's not essential to the main plot.
- No Azog. He will appear as a looming threat to chase the company, a general antagonist, a commander of armies and the bloke who kills Thorin but will have no dialogue, no name and no scenes centering on him. Others will refer to him as "The Pale Orc".
- No Tauriel and Legolas as major characters. I like them both but I think we can do without them.
- No Bolg. He was just a foil for Legolas anyway. He'll need to appear as an orc that stabs Kili though.
- No White council stuff.
- Alfrid and the Master reduced to a minimum.
- All the other removals I already did in my other edits, except I might tweak a few cuts, undo a couple of things and tinker around just for the hell of it.

- Probably no specific mentions of "The Necromancer" or Sauron, although references to "a shadow moving", or a "dark power" etc will be allowed.

I've no idea if these will be 3 short edits, two long edits, or one epic edit. I'll cut down all three films and see what I have left before making that decision.

TM2YC said:
Exciting news! Another Hobbit edit...! :D

While I've still got the 835gb folder for this project on one of my HDs, I figure I might as well make some short edits too. I might call these the "Stay on the path" edits. I'd be using my three existing edits as the base. Some vague ideas/goals:

- Use a minimal amount scenes that don't feature Bilbo. Only Thorin and Gandalf are important enough to draw focus when required.
- No prologue(s).
- Absolutely no flashbacks. I'm pretty sure I can make this work without any of the exposition they provide but we'll see.
- "Stay on the path", so we will not be seeing Gandalf tripping off to Dol Goldur, Gundabad, or the High Fells. Gandalf is just a mysterious Wizard with other priorities who disappears all the time like in the book.
- No Radagast. I like him but he's not essential to the main plot.
- No Azog. He will appear as a looming threat to chase the company, a general antagonist, a commander of armies and the bloke who kills Thorin but will have no dialogue, no name and no scenes centering on him. Others will refer to him as "The Pale Orc".
- No Tauriel and Legolas as major characters. I like them both but I think we can do without them.
- No Bolg. He was just a foil for Legolas anyway. He'll need to appear as an orc that stabs Kili though.
- No White council stuff.
- Alfrid and the Master reduced to a minimum.
- All the other removals I already did in my other edits, except I might tweak a few cuts, undo a couple of things and tinker around just for the hell of it.

- Probably no specific mentions of "The Necromancer" or Sauron, although references to "a shadow moving", or a "dark power" etc will be allowed.

I've no idea if these will be 3 short edits, two long edits, or one epic edit. I'll cut down all three films and see what I have left before making that decision.

Can’t wait for this!

Looking forward to your further edits of The Hobbit.
Also, if ever you plan a v2 of Entirely Respectable edits - may I offer few small tweaks:

- The final shot of DoS is too abrupt. I mean, the original is abrupt, but yours is too too abrupt. I think you can re-arrange it so that after Bard kills Smaug we see the entire death sequence and instead of showing Smaug hitting the master's boat, you can cut to Ori's "What was that?!" followed by Bilbo's "It fell... The dragon is dead" and Balin's "Aye, word will spread..." and as we see Thorin descend into Erebor - fade to black.

- I think the opening of BOTFA armies is brilliant. Yet, I would suggest removing one small line of Dialogue: after Thrain says "No one should enter that mountain!" - a great line as it implies there's a bad outcome from entering Erebor, as we later witness when we meet Thorin. However, he then goes on to say "They are in league. The dragon and the One." I think this line should be removed. It now suggests Thrain is only warning Gandalf about Smaug (who is dead, but that's not an issue since neither Gandalf nor Thrain know it yet) and his alliance with Sauron. This doesn't have the same gravitas in the context of this edit as it would have been had he been warning Gandalf about Dragon sickness.

Back
Top Bottom