• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Highly Rated Movies You Don't Like

@"Duragizer" , why don't you like the Universal horror movies?

That's weird. More popular well regarded things duragizer doesn't like! WHAT A STRANGE COINCIDENCE

Possessed said:
That's weird. More popular well regarded things duragizer doesn't like! WHAT A STRANGE COINCIDENCE

What a horrible state of affairs it is to be an individual with my own particular tastes, ain't it? I should just let the Collective tell me what to like and dislike, then I can be a contented little Borg drone, too.

^^^ We're just poking fun. It's unusual to see so much controversy. You're like the anti-matter version of jrWHAG42 (or vice versa). :p

Back in the real world I'm thought of the guy that doesn't like anything everyone else likes. I'm very anti-borg.

This is the second time today I've been mentioned in these forums out of the blue without having been in the conversation. I've somehow built such a reputation here that I'm used for comparisons. This is amusing.

Duragizer said:
Possessed said:

What a horrible state of affairs it is to be an individual with my own particular tastes, ain't it? I should just let the Collective tell me what to like and dislike, then I can be a contented little Borg drone, too.

There's a difference. "The Collective" would tell you to watch the new Lion King movie. Classic cinema critics are telling you to watch the Universal horror movies. Of course not liking them, or even many of them, is fine. Hence this thread. it's just that these things keep piling up in alot of areas. I'm not saying you a contrarion, but you ain't messin with no classic, classic...

Zamros said:
I really can't stand The Goonies....

tenor.gif

Also don't like Ghostbusters nearly as much as most people, and I hate every Jim Carrey movie except Eternal Sunshine and The Truman Show.

Am I cancelled yet?

I wouldn't put anything Jim Carrey does (I have mixed feelings about his work myself) in the same category as Ghostbusters or the Goonies (both are classics, and wonderful films). I can see not having nostalgia for them and finding them fine, but "can't stand" is nonsense in my opinion.

The hyperbole in this thread makes my head hurt.

The Scribbling Man said:
^^^ We're just poking fun. It's unusual to see so much controversy. You're like the anti-matter version of jrWHAG42 (or vice versa). :p

Back in the real world I'm thought of the guy that doesn't like anything everyone else likes. I'm very anti-borg.

I'm usually willing and able to take criticism in stride, but today's my birthday, and birthdays are typically miserable for me. Apologies for channelling my inner snapping turtle.

But if I may say so, there're just as many times when my opinion aligns with the consensus as when it doesn't. It gets frustrating when others regard me as if I only ever go with Door #2.

ThrowgnCpr said:
I can see not having nostalgia for them and finding them fine, but "can't stand" is nonsense in my opinion.

I don't have nostalgia for Ghostbusters and find it just fine. The Goonies is a film that just really annoys me, that's my personal opinion which is why I said the subjective "I can't stand it" rather than stating "It's an annoying movie" like an objective fact. People like it and that's fine, I don't like it and that's also fine.

Oscar Darlings I Depise...

Gone With the Wind (1939)
Sophie's Choice (1982)
Forrest Gump (1994)
Gladiator (2000)
A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Chicago (2002)
The Hours (2002)
Million Dollar Baby (2004)
Crash (2005)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
Silver Linings Playbook (2012)

Out of those the only two I've even seen are forrest Gump and million dollar baby, and i liked them both. So objectively you're wrong.

I don’t particularly care for Clint Eastwood’s directorial efforts in general.

But Neglify, what's your opinion on Crash 1996?

I love Cronenberg, he's a genius. Crash is #7 on my Crone ranking, one notch above Naked Lunch and just behind The Dead Zone.

Handman said:
@"Duragizer" , why don't you like the Universal horror movies?

Missed this yesterday.

It's been a number of years since I last watched The Mummy, Son of Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man, so they aren't exactly fresh in my mind. IIRC, Boris Karloff was excellent in The Mummy, but nothing else about the film — the other characters, especially — matched his performance; Son of Frankenstein paled in comparison to its predecessors, with weaker cinematography and non-existent characterization for the Monster; I found The Wolf Man just bland all around.

As for Creature from the Black Lagoon, Julie Adams was gorgeous and the Gill-man costume was impressive, but once again, I wasn't floored by the characterization or script. It's an okay movie, worth a watch, but not a classic.

As for Dracula:
Duragizer said:
Watched Dracula '31 last night. Thought perhaps my opinion on the movie might've changed in the five years or so since I watched it last, but nope; I still find it a painfully glacial, grossly overrated bore. Dwight Frye and the Castle Dracula/Carfax Abbey sets are the only aspects I like about it.

I absolutely loved Dracula when I first watched it last year, and I was fully expecting it to be boring. Then again, I was watching the Dracula Restored fan edit, so that may have contributed to my enjoyment, I haven't seen the original for comparison.

Back
Top Bottom