• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Highlander - The Black Knight / Highlander - The Prize

This sounds exciting!  Did you ever find the "I want to go home" line?  I tried to track that down years ago with no results.  I can't even remember on what version it appeared.

Eh... years ago I realize now means 20 years ago when I did a video deck edit putting all movie 1 + 3 together with a short arc from the TV series opening between them as a time transition.  I did a separate quick cut of HL 2 chunking out a lot.  Life got the better of me and I never got back to doing a version two that was going to bridge with some scenes from The Hunted.

Since then tons of official re-releases, better quality, and now a great forum dedicated to fan edits!

Never did find the line. I was thinking about recording a horrible Christopher Lambert impression myself, just to have it in some form. But my Lambert is worse than my Connery.

I've decided to do a second version of this. No final title yet. But, it'll be a much lighter edit. References to The Gathering and Conner winning The Prize will stay and make this a standalone movie (as it was originally intended to be). I'll use my cleaned up effects shots, and some light edits (flashbacks during wrestling will not be there, no back-flips, excised sex scene, etc.). But, no major plot or structure changes. Cut list to come.

Mods, please let me know if I need another thread for this or if I can keep it all contained in one, please.

I found a copy of "I want to go home". The denoise job on it that I did is... less than amazing. But functional.

This thing needs a new title. Reforged sounds too gimmicky. And I'd prefer something that works well across both versions. I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has any.

revstevens said:
I found a copy of "I want to go home". The denoise job on it that I did is... less than amazing. But functional.

This thing needs a new title. Reforged sounds too gimmicky. And I'd prefer something that works well across both versions. I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has any.

Where did you find it?

wilhelm scream said:
Where did you find it?

Goddamn laserdisc. Well that's not entirely accurate. Found a dude on another site that was restoring the US theatrical cut of the movie and posted a process video of what he did. That video included the line in question, which led me down the path to the laserdisc.

And a mildly annoyed wife.

revstevens said:
wilhelm scream said:
Where did you find it?

Goddamn laserdisc. Well that's not entirely accurate. Found a dude on another site that was restoring the US theatrical cut of the movie and posted a process video of what he did. That video included the line in question, which led me down the path to the laserdisc.

I wonder why it's never been included on any of the later versions?

wilhelm scream said:
revstevens said:
wilhelm scream said:
Where did you find it?

It was cut from the director's cut, for reasons that I'll never fathom. Really bad decision, in my opinion.

revstevens said:
wilhelm scream said:
revstevens said:
wilhelm scream said:
Where did you find it?

It was cut from the director's cut, for reasons that I'll never fathom. Really bad decision, in my opinion.

I'll need to watch it first before I make up my mind.

I think both versions are done. I mean, I'm not satisfied with calling them Reforged A and Reforged B. But they are otherwise complete.

Main difference is that A (or whatever it ends up being called) is open-ended and allows you to indulge in sequels, TV shows, and extended universe stuff to your heart's content and B (or whatever it ends up being called) is a standalone movie as Connor gets The Prize. But I still futzed about with some edits, in addition to the wire removal and such.

Both versions have "I want to go home" reinserted. 

Full cutlists will be released after I submit them to the Academy. Which will happen when I settle on titles for each.

How about for A: Highlander Vengence. And for B: Highlander The Gathering. 

And I checked my DVD (which is the theatrical international cut) and the "I want to go home" is not on there.

wilhelm scream said:

Not bad. I'll consider those!

wilhelm scream said:
And I checked my DVD (which is the theatrical international cut) and the "I want to go home" is not on there.

I think it was only in the US theatrical version. The international theatrical is called the director's cut over here.

revstevens said:
wilhelm scream said:

wilhelm scream said:

I think it was only in the US theatrical version. The international theatrical is called the director's cut over here.

That's strange because according to my reasearch, the director's cut has edits to edit to fit in with the rest of the francise, which my DVD does not have (e.g. whooshing sound effects added before the MacLeod vs Fazil and the Ramirez vs Kurgan fights to indicate that one immortal has detected the presence of another).

Ok. I've settled on the titles.

My preferred version (extended universe inclusive) will be: Highlander - The Black Knight. The more or less remastered (but still with some cuts and improved effects) stand alone movie will be: Highlander - The Prize.

There are three more minor edits to my version that I'll be making this week. Then rendering of both versions. Then site submission.

wilhelm scream said:
revstevens said:
wilhelm scream said:

wilhelm scream said:

That's strange because according to my reasearch, the director's cut has edits to edit to fit in with the rest of the francise, which my DVD does not have (e.g. whooshing sound effects added before the MacLeod vs Fazil and the Ramirez vs Kurgan fights to indicate that one immortal has detected the presence of another).

Yeah there have been constant tweaks to the director's cut over the years. I don't think any two copies are actually the same. Russell Mulcahy may be Michael Mann's long lost brother or something.

This is now on ifdb. Thread moved.

There can be only one edit of 'Highlander' (1986) on ifdb, so future editors will have to fight to the death with @"revstevens" .

TM2YC said:
There can be only one edit of 'Highlander' (1986) on ifdb, so future editors will have to fight to the death with @"revstevens" .

That made me laugh out loud. Thank you.

revstevens said:
I'm working on a Highlander edit. Some light cutting (Fasil's somersaults, and a few other things like that) and some effects clean up (I hate the lightning mattes that cover actor heads, maybe some wire removal). Is anyone else interested in watching something like that? Does anyone have anything to suggest doing with it that I may not have thought of?

*EDIT* Mostly comprehensive cut list coming soon-ish.

Good idea, never liked those ridiculous backflips.

Maybe reinsert some deleted scenes (there are some interesting ones with the Kurgan)

I'm working on a Highlander edit. Some light cutting (Fasil's somersaults, and a few other things like that) and some effects clean up (I hate the lightning mattes that cover actor heads, maybe some wire removal). Is anyone else interested in watching something like that? Does anyone have anything to suggest doing with it that I may not have thought of?

*EDIT* Mostly comprehensive cut list coming soon-ish.
any change i could get a link to this please ?

Well I have to say after watching this...it was an absolute treat. Other than the cutting room floor edits, the clean up...the colors were fantastic which worked great with the grain. But for me what topped it all off was how open ended it "is" with no need for a retcon to lead into sequels but of course, the TV series would always be a stretch without having to pretend you didn't see a do-over. Seriously, this edit is a must see and be truly part of the Highlander universe.

Back
Top Bottom