• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Help Needed!

Roy Batty

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use Tmpengc 4 express to convert my xvid/dvix/avi's files to mpegs then tmpgenc dvd author to convert to pal dvd. My problem is when i watch the movie i created it stops/freezes in different parts. The picture quality and sound are good where i can watch it. I have tried different dvd's with same result and i don't think it's the player any ideas guys? am i doing something wrong in the converting authoring process?

many thanks for the help

have you tried convertx to dvd? that program lets you choose between NTSC and PAL final product and it's what I use to covert my files from xvid/divx/avi/mpg/mov/whatever to a dvd.

sladetwc said:
have you tried convertx to dvd? that program lets you choose between NTSC and PAL final product and it's what I use to covert my files from xvid/divx/avi/mpg/mov/whatever to a dvd.

yes i have and it works fine but i dont think the quality looks as good as the tmpenc4/author process. i would rather stick with those thats why im hoping someone might tell me what i may be doing wrong?

it could be possibly the frame rates got messed up somewhere. What is the fps on the avi you are converting?

NexPhr3ak0r said:
it could be possibly the frame rates got messed up somewhere. What is the fps on the avi you are converting?

im at work atm but i think it was something like 23.xxxx btw it has done this to several avi/xvid/divx files i have converted all of differing aspect and framerates

tmpgxpress 4 is a great tool for converting video to mpeg-2, so I think that is not it.
Do you get the freezes on your PC as well?

i'm going to say no to that question Boon. cos when i have viewed the finished product after converting it seems ok. i don't watch it all the way through just a quick quality sound check etc

do you mean it is freezing when the file is burned onto a dvd or the digital file on the computer is freezing. If the dvd is freezing it could be a million things. (burnt to fast, dvd burner is messed up, old discs, etc)

NexPhr3ak0r said:
do you mean it is freezing when the file is burned onto a dvd or the digital file on the computer is freezing. If the dvd is freezing it could be a million things. (burnt to fast, dvd burner is messed up, old discs, etc)

it happens when viewing on the standalone dvd player. i burn at 8x and have tried different dvd makes. does not appear to be a problem when viewing on pc

ok so the digital file is fine but the dvd freezes. This could be a number of things.

1. Issue with the dvd player reading discs (try disc on multiple dvd players)
2. Bad media (could be an old or bad disc)
3. MEdia was burnt to fast (typically since i started burning my discs at 4x i haven't had a bad burn yet)
4. Dvd burner is dying (is it just one disc of multiple discs? if just one probably not the burner if it happens to them all it might be a sign of a dying burner)

These are some things possible.

NexPhr3ak0r said:
ok so the digital file is fine but the dvd freezes. This could be a number of things.

1. Issue with the dvd player reading discs (try disc on multiple dvd players)
2. Bad media (could be an old or bad disc)
3. MEdia was burnt to fast (typically since i started burning my discs at 4x i haven't had a bad burn yet)
4. Dvd burner is dying (is it just one disc of multiple discs? if just one probably not the burner if it happens to them all it might be a sign of a dying burner)

These are some things possible.

cd's are ok when burned on the burner. dvd's seem to be problem and i changed dvd make too. tried the dvd's on families dvd players and they still freeze.

first i would try and burn at the slowest speed possible. like 2x and then work your way up to see what still works fine. if they are still freezing you might want to try a different dvd burner. Check your model of burner in google and see if there has been any reports of issues with it.

may want to check for the latest firmware also. I was having issues with DL discs recently, but after updating the firmware, its been smooth sailing

NexPhr3ak0r said:
first i would try and burn at the slowest speed possible. like 2x and then work your way up to see what still works fine. if they are still freezing you might want to try a different dvd burner. Check your model of burner in google and see if there has been any reports of issues with it.

just burning one at 2x now using nero. i have been using the tmpgenc author dvd prog to burn, it might be that.

Back
Top Bottom