• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Help! My files are either in Spanish or in poor quality. How do I convert better?

jay said:
it doesn't show up and I can't find it.

What do you mean by this? Is lagarith showing up as a video option in virtualdub? From boon's guide:

1.load the m2v video into virtualdub.
file --> open video file
video --> compression --> lagarith

Frink, thanks for getting back to me. I've spent the last few days playing with Womble, which I've used to make my fan edit, but it's very rough, because Womble's rough, and I'd like to redo it using Serif or Movie Studio Platinum, if I can get either to work for me.

About virtualdub . . . maybe the copy I have is corrupted or something, because it won't open m2v's or anything else.

Serif I can get to work some of the time. I have to use pgcDemux to separate the audio and video, then recombine them in Serif. This works well for The Hobbit: Parts Two and Three, but it doesn't work for Part One. The audio and the video won't sync up for some reason.

Movie Studio Platinum is a great editing system, but it only seems to want to open MP4s properly--that is, with audio and video synced. I try to remove the audio and insert a different version of the audio track, and it's still not synced. And I can't seem to get MP4s in a high enough quality to use. Not sure what to do.

Success! Thanks again, Frink. I am now loading the file into veedub. Fingers crossed . . .

Okay, the video loaded. When I tried to load the audio next, the program can't find it. It doesn't seem able to read the audio file. Do I need a separate plugin for that?

Ah! Reading Boon's guide again, I see I need to convert the audio into a pcm wav file. Doing that now . . .

If you're posting multiple times without responses, instead of making a new post, you should click "Edit Post" and just add to it at the bottom.

Honestly, I would really try to do the audio and video separately in your timeline. When following Boon's guide to convert, and then loading into Vegas, I get the same length for the separate audio and video tracks, and you can just line them up in your Vegas timeline to make sure they sync. It will give you much more flexibility in your editing.

Okay, I'll try that. I'm a little shocked at how large a file veedub creates. It's only 17% saved and already it's over 13 gigs -- yikes!

It's lossless - it's gonna be quite large. I'm looking right now at my lagarith file for Revenge of the Sith and it's 51 GB.

Okay. I guess it'll shrink when I'm done working in Movie Studio Platinum and hit "make movie" . . . right?

Also, what's the best format (wmv, avi, etc) to make the final movie into?

Yes, I'm trying to make a DVD. I don't want to lose any quality, but I would like it shrunk -- at the moment "The Hobbit: Part One" is taking up about 75 gigs on my hard drive. Imagine after I've converted the whole trilogy! But I'm assuming the guide helps with that. Going to read it now . . .

Of course, I'm not married to the idea of having DVDs. If it's a somewhat bigger file (bigger than the 4 gigs or so that will fit on my blank DVDs), it might make more sense to put it on a flash drive.

Wow. That is an awfully technical guide. That may be beyond my skill level. Will have to think about this.

jay said:
Yes, I'm trying to make a DVD. I don't want to lose any quality, but I would like it shrunk -- at the moment "The Hobbit: Part One" is taking up about 75 gigs on my hard drive. Imagine after I've converted the whole trilogy!

The final file will be small enough to fit on the DVD (~4 GB or 8 GB for single layer or dual layer DVD, repsectively). Once everything is done, you can always delete the large lagarith avi files to free up hard drive space before starting the next part of your project. But of course you will want to make sure you are completely done (and people have had a chance to review it) before you do so.

jay said:
Wow. That is an awfully technical guide. That may be beyond my skill level. Will have to think about this.

I thought the exact same thing when I started editing. Captain K is very helpful, and my recommendation would be to post your questions in that thread when you get to that point.

With that said, you can also output a lower quality version from Vegas first in order to get feedback from the community on your editing, then worry about the final high quality version once everything else is in place.

Okay, I'll do that. Thank you, Frink! By the way, I love The Ridiculous Menace.

Well thank you!

Back
Top Bottom