• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

help converting m4v to mkv

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys, I've got some files that are in m4v, which I found out is an Apple format.  I have 0 Apple products, and would like to convert them to something I can play, ideally mkv.  None of my players or converters are recognizing the files, including vlc, handbrake, makemkv, uniconverter... I think it must have drm on it, but it's a fanedit so it shouldn't have.  Anyone have any tips?

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure m4v is just a container, typically containing h.264 video and aac audio. You could just rename it from m4v to mp4 or mkv if you want.

flaminio

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Surprised that VLC can't see it -- VLC can usually play everything. That kind of tells me that something is messed up about the file.

If it's just a regular .m4v you should be able to rename it with a .mp4 extension and it will work fine.

But I still kinda think something is borked.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Try mkvtoolnix.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure m4v is just a container, typically containing h.264 video and aac audio. You could just rename it from m4v to mp4 or mkv if you want.

Yeah, I was reading online that simply renaming might work.  However, I tried it on all the files.  Still can't be read.

flaminio said:
Surprised that VLC can't see it -- VLC can usually play everything. That kind of tells me that something is messed up about the file.

If it's just a regular .m4v you should be able to rename it with a .mp4 extension and it will work fine.

But I still kinda think something is borked.

From what I read online, VLC usually won't read m4v.  Although I do have one m4v file that it reads, but the others it just scans and scans.  From what I was reading up, I think it must be that they were encoded with drm protection, and the other one wasn't.

reave said:
Try mkvtoolnix.

Thanks, reave.  Will give it a look and report back.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I have been struggling with these JJPotter's HP EE files for the last month or so.  I can't get the files to play in VLC or any other player.  I tried to convert them, compress them, re-naming the extensions ...nothing works...nothing will read the files.

I've tried MKVToolNix, Wondershare, MakeMKV, Handbrake,etc.... nothing will convert them because it won't even read them.  They either say to check if the file format is supported or directly "The file format is not supported."  Has anyone else had an issue with playing these or can suggest what to do?  Please feel free to PM me or reply here.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's what I was guessing at this point, but JJPotter finally got back to me.  Seems the the files can't be unzipped properly with WinRar?  So I'll have to try 7-zip and see how it goes.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been having troubles unzipping them as well. I've re downloaded the files multiple times. Not sure what is going on.

Top Bottom