• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Heaven's Gate: The 2nd Director's Cut by TM2YC

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Thanks y,all and...

giphy.gif

...finished! :) Rendering tonight. Gimlet to celebrate I feel...

gimlet_1.jpg

(Just the second Director's Cut to start on now ;-))

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anybody have Blu-Rays of any United Artist's films that have this exact logo in HD?

(List of UA films by year)

I could just use that ^ from my HG 'Director's Cut' DVD as it's only a logo but an HD one would be that much nicer (btw that logo is from April 1981). If anybody does have a film they know has that logo, I can decide if I want to get myself a copy.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Started work on re-creating Cimino's "forgotten" 2nd Director's cut.

After just 5 minutes it's become clear that the soundmix is very different from the 1st & 3rd Director's cuts. There are little differences but there are also extra overheard lines further clarifying the plot. So I don't think I'll be trying to create my own soundmix, as I did with the 'Butcher's Cut'. The 2nd DC soundmix seems to be it's own thing, so I'll just synch the HD video to it so we can hear this cut exactly the way it was meant to sound. The 2nd DC DVD soundtrack sounds pretty great anyway (Not the crackily mess that the original DVDs of the 1st DC suffered from).

On the video side this is going to be trickier than I thought. The 2nd DC is a total recut (Cimino effectively destroyed the negative cut of his first 1980 DC, to make this 1981 cut), so most of the shots seem to be different lengths from the other cuts by just a frame or two. It could mean trimming frames from almost every shot in the film :oops:.

Have I lost anyone? ^ :lol:.
il_570xN.284238475.jpg

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[MENTION=24292]TM2YC[/MENTION]

The Second cut is definitely acceptable, BUT if you wanted to get hard core about it, you could extend the music from the fist clip into the second and then add in the door squeak and footsteps as separate sound effects.. I don't remember if there is more diolog there, but if not you could do it that way. Then you would have the natural slow/stop of the music. (maybe soundtrack on CD?)

(Post Script, looks like i was a little late on that comment)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ken Poirier said:
@TMY2C

The Second cut is definitely acceptable, BUT if you wanted to get hard core about it, you could extend the music from the fist clip into the second and then add in the door squeak and footsteps as separate sound effects.. I don't remember if there is more diolog there, but if not you could do it that way. Then you would have the natural slow/stop of the music. (maybe soundtrack on CD?)

(Post Script, looks like i was a little late on that comment)

Already thought of that and started to try it out (I synched up both tracks from the soundtrack and began mixing them in). Problem is the two bits of music still didn't blend together well at any point after Ella runs out the door, no matter what work I did to the soundFX on top.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wraith said:
I know this the wrong logo, but i think it is more in keeping of era.
I have a green/ gold version of this one on HD circa 1967.

united_artists_1919.jpg

^ That logo is on the 1st Director's Cut (and 3rd Director's cut in a slighty different version) but this is the one used for the 2nd Director's Cut (That I need in HD)...

image006111.jpg

I think the logo you posted was well out of use by the time Cimino released the 1stDC in 1980 (But he wanted to use the vintage one for artistic reasons). For whatever reason when he cut the 2ndDC in 1981 he/they/UA used the then current/modern UA logo. In the late 70s to early 80s UA had 3 different owners (Themselves, Transamerica and MGM) so many logos seems to have used.

This page - The Story Behind… The United Artists logo - Lists it as starting in 1982, 6 months after the 2nd DC was released but I suspect that may be an error on the part of the page. As I've found from previous edits these logos can be hard to find, as 'Heaven's Gate' effectively brought UA down. So many releases since then have had the logos replaced with MGM ones, removed entrely or even have been just scrawled out with black marker onto the film stock itself :-D.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The one I have in HD is gold on black background.
Happy to post a pic later since I have not seen it online anywhere.
I think you can make an artistic choice here. The modern logo sucks in front of a period piece like this.
Let me know.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wraith said:
The one I have in HD is gold on black background.
Happy to post a pic later since I have not seen it online anywhere.
I think you can make an artistic choice here. The modern logo sucks in front of a period piece like this.
Let me know.

I've got that style of logo on my 'Heaven's Gate' Blu-Ray anyway, if I wanted to use it. I also prefer the old style one but since you can see that logo on the Blu-Ray and my remake of the 'The Butcher's Cut', I think the blue 1981 logo is just another bit of uniqueness about the 2ndDC, that I'd like to preserve. But I'd be curious to see the gold one you are referring to and what film it was from?

I'd like to find out the exact date that MGM bought UA, as my DVD of the 2ndDC has an MGM logo up front. However the fact that is in 16:9 and not scope makes me suspect that it was added on later? (FYI the 2ndDC is scope letterboxed within 16:9).

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The movie is Thunderbirds are Go on BD. it's in techniscope ratio 2:35-1
pic follows

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now I can't find the gold version. Rats. It's on the disc somewhere. I'll look thru all the extras. Apols.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ Pic did not follow ;-)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, the logos. It annoys me to no end when a movie gets a DVD/BD release and they replace the original logo with a modern version. In the case of United Artists it's this piece of crap (not that bad by itself but the fact that they put it in the classics makes me hate it), that I have seen tacked on way too many releases of older movies...

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess recolouring the white on black one is simple in any event.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Re-started work on the 2nd Director's Cut today after a month working on my Star Trek edit. I've only done a few minutes but it's clear that this quite a different cut than the official 3rd Director's Cut you'll find in the shops. Here is a brief comparison/demo...

(Password: fanedit.org)

- All footage that is unique to the 2nd DC is in colour (Plus a few shots from the 3rd DC that are used in totally different points)
- Soundmix is quite different
- This sequence is roughly 5 minutes shorter than it appears in the other two cuts

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the end I've gone real simple and (Hopefully) stylish for the DVD front cover...

(Click ^ to see full res version)

Top Bottom