• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Heaven's Gate: The 2nd Director's Cut by TM2YC

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maaaannn, in the battle scene Soderbergh is averaging a cut every 6 seconds! Considering every shot (In the original 20 minute sequence) is of either a horse galloping, somebody firing a rifle, a bomb going off, or some dust drifting past the camera... it's damn difficult to find that particular 6 seconds of footage and put it all in the right place.

It makes me realise that I've got a lot more to learn about editing, when you see what a professional can really do with a fanedit (Although I have had to correct a few stray flash-frames in Soderbergh's work :p).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Huzzah!

Finished editing the video. FYI each and every titlecard at the end had even been fanedited to up the pace (It's the little details ;-)). Also my remake is 13 seconds shorter due to many of the shot lengths being shorter by a frame or two in the Blu-Ray and over the whole edit it adds up (312 frames basically).

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
looking fowarrd to see your edit of his edit.
I seem to remember some errors in his Psychos also, but that couldve been my copy.

plurmonger

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You know, I'm not even familiar with this film, and this is still a fascinating thread to follow.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
plurmonger said:
You know, I'm not even familiar with this film, and this is still a fascinating thread to follow.

Nice ;-).

I've done the first 15 minutes of the soundtrack today. I'm mixing the audio transitions as I feel is best first, then comparing them to Soderbergh's mix, to see if they are any different. So most of the time they will be identical but occasionaly I am mixing them slightly differently to be smoother (to my ear at least)... Revisionism! I've turned into George Lucas :-D.

I'm also thinking about cover ideas. There has been quite a few posters for HG, all pretty fine looking IMO...

HEAVENGATE.jpg

heavens_gate_ver3_xlg.jpg

936full-heaven%27s-gate-poster.jpg

10914.jpg

14137131510_089482a45e.jpg

ba2bd301-f4fb-4058-b3b7-1766377ac392.jpg

4453.jpg

600full-heaven%27s-gate-poster.jpg

tumblr_mw5yyw70sl1qm7fcfo1_500.jpg

A lot of the posters and promo artwork seem to have drawn on this photo...

Isabelle+Huppert+and+Kris+Kristofferson.jpg

...which is understandable as it's beautiful but it doesn't sum up what the film is about at all well.
I'd like to come up something new. Perhaps I'd go with a cover showing Cimino directing the picture? (If I could find the right image)

film-la-porte-du-paradis28.jpg

plurmonger

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How about the (non-airbrushed) original poster image featuring Cimino?

Poster_large.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Yes I saw that while I was browsing for those posters. It's an option for sure. This has potential too...

film-la-porte-du-paradis27.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Up to 35 minutes on the soundtrack. I'd forgotten how difficult audio-editing 'Heaven's Gate' is. There is just nowhere to hide in the mix.

btw Check out David Mansfield's score. Lovely to listen to when you want to chill out...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just 20 minutes of audio left to mix but considering that in the two battle scenes there is roughly one edit every 4 seconds... it might take longer than you'd expect :-D.

Found this wonderful period introduction to a then rare screening of 'Heaven's Gate' on BBC2 (10th January 1987)...

...I loved these old film intros/mini-lectures that used to appear in front of late-night screenings on TV in the 80s and early 90s. Film was treated with such reverence then :).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Soderbergh half of this project is done! :) (Well almost, I need to triple-check all the audio edits). Here is a little 82 second sample from the recut first battle scene (Contains mild spoilers)...

(Password: fanedit.org)

The original footage was something like 4 or 5 minutes longer (Nothing extra happened... it was just longer ;-)).

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I came across this film about a month ago. It wasn't the remastered version. The film was badly degraded. I really liked it but it seemed like there was just too much going on. I stopped watching it after the rollerskating scene so I don't know how it ends. But glad to hear of some fan edits of this!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ken Poirier said:
I came across this film about a month ago. It wasn't the remastered version. The film was badly degraded. I really liked it but it seemed like there was just too much going on. I stopped watching it after the rollerskating scene so I don't know how it ends. But glad to hear of some fan edits of this!

Well done getting to the rollerskating at least :-D. Making it through the full 3hr37min original cut is almost an endurance test ;-).

This evening I've spent the best part of an hour just working on this one transition :(. I still think it sounds dodgy...

^ Mildly NSFW.

Bad or good?

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I think you're right it doesn't work too well. The music speeds up with her excitement and anticipation of the gift, then cross fades awkwardly to slow again. It would be better to just have one speed playing through the transition if you can replace or shift the music track. Or else make a harder cut so it never speeds up, just goes from slow to slow.

In hindsight I think that was one of the problems in my Rome edit- the music in places sometimes promised things the story didn't deliver.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:
Yeah, I think you're right it doesn't work too well. The music speeds up with her excitement and anticipation of the gift, then cross fades awkwardly to slow again. It would be better to just have one speed playing through the transition if you can replace or shift the music track. Or else make a harder cut so it never speeds up, just goes from slow to slow.

Thanks. Problem is I'm wedded to keeping the visual cuts exactly intact, so I can't just cut before the music speeds up. I'll work on other parts and come back to it.

GregAlex

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just wondering, would you always choose visual continuity over audio continuity? Or does it depend on the scene? (I tend to find audio issues more distracting.)

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Thanks. Problem is I'm wedded to keeping the visual cuts exactly intact, so I can't just cut before the music speeds up. I'll work on other parts and come back to it.

Right, I was trying to suggest a harder cut just in the audio track from a slow passage to another slow passage & just a little bit of cross fade so the cut sounds natural.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
GregAlex said:
Just wondering, would you always choose visual continuity over audio continuity? Or does it depend on the scene? (I tend to find audio issues more distracting.)

I want to replicate Soderbergh's visual-cuts exactly but I won't compromise on the quality of the audio-edits and will be "inspired" by his mix only. In his original upload it's just a very abrupt hardcut from one piece of music to the other with no mixing. I'll keep working it at and hopefully I'll sort it somehow. If it was 'my cut' I'd just find a different point to make the edit that also worked with the audio. It's kinda fun and challenging that in this case, that "cop out" isn't an option.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is much better. A harder cut but smoother at the same time. Thoughts?

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's fine. Now it's like a music cue that was always meant to be that way.

Top Bottom