• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Heat - The Action Re-Edit by BOON23

InfoDroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey Boon, I just watched this last night. Excellent work!

It's a really, really good movie now! And I didn't find myself questioning "where is all this leading?" while I watched this version. All the boring stuff is gone and the story seems to flow easier and make much more sense.

I still have yet to watch the original ending, but I think you've really done this film justice.

And I liked the menu too. Sleek and simple, but it has class.

Thanks for this edit!

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished watching this and REALLY liked it. Thumbs up Boon, good job :) .

Finn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow man.... just wow.

I actually ahve to admit that when I heard you mention the freeze frame and txt ending, I had a mental picture of the end of game sequence from a SNES game. but holy shit, the juddering txt and the way it segues into the still blew me away.

I think I like that ending a whole lot better than the original. I completely loved the whole French Connection vibe and the line about the cocaine.

Really well done man.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks a lot, finn, I am glad you enjoyed it! :D

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a very nice review (although not "positive"), which my fanedit received on demonoid. Shouldn't go to waste, so here is it:

filejones 2 wrote:
I am a big fan of this movie. It is not an action movie but it has great action scenes. It is not a soap opera, but it has great character development and back stories. Having seen the original many times, I will attempt to offer you all a brief critical analysis of this cut. I hope I don't come off as overbearing but....

It is first essential to understand what this movie was originally intended to be and what re-cutting it makes it into. The two results are completely different and seem to appeal to completely different audiences. If one just cannot tolerate a film running over 1:50 or 2:00, then there are some films you just aren't equipped to digest. If the intent here is to prove that this is a better version, I have to disagree. If the intent here is to appeal to a different viewer, it will succeed on some level I suppose. If you are one of those people who only enjoy the second half of Titanic, then this re-cut is for you. You are the viewer who believes in the visceral elements without regard for motive or emotional investments. And thats.... OK.
However, I am left with the impression that this version has gutted the film in a way that does not serve the whole. I agree, there were some scenes that can be deemed superfluous for an "ACTION" version, but this cut has simply removed EVERY emotional underpinning in the story so that we are left wondering at some points why certain things are happening. Many of the transitions are needlessly abrupt. There could have been SOME backstory left in.....

I believe this should possibly be renamed as the ADD version. Most likely this is what the film looks like through the eyes of my shallow-minded brother who worships every illogical action scene Sly Stallone ever did. That said, it is still very cleverly edited and does have merit on a technical basis. In conclusion, and for no purposes beyond appreciation for the work that has been put into this I will offer a brief list of alterations which might produce a somewhat more cohesive version, yet still appeal to the action minded folks out there:

1] Leave SOME of Hanah's backstory. McCauley's diner with the buddies is left in, but Hanah's diner, his encounter with his wife and the great speech Pacino gives about letting her know about his work is intended as a counterpoint. This is essential to the main point of the film and speaks to his dedication and motivation in pursuit of McCauley. (But I guess this version could also be called the "Crime Pays Greatly - Cops Aren't Human" version.) I do see an obvious bias in favor of McCauley in this version, whereas the whole intent of the original is to show the parallels and commonalities between society's "good" and "evil" people, and how they are left with the same dilemas at the end of the day. It is not out of reach to allude to some of this in an abridged version.
2] One could also easily include Portman's suicide attempt near the end, which is intended as a curve ball anyway. As a matter of fact, it would even be more powerful if some of Portman's scenes are reinserted but trimmed slightly so that she seems more in the background until the suicide attempt. But completely erasing Portman's part is a mistake.
3] Which leads to Venora's part. But I gues this could also be called the "Men's Version" because virtually all the women's roles have been removed, except for Brenneman's (which I thought was one of the WEAKER performances in the movie). Venora's scenes with Pacino are way more interesting and dynamic, while DeNiro's with Brenneman have many dead spots. McCauley's relationship with Eddy is clear. Stay or Go. I never thought it was believable that she would leave with him anyway, and most of their scenes just seem strained and left only with purpose of convincing the AUDIENCE to come with them to New Zealand.
4] I believe that Mrs. Hannah's POV is important. The scene where Pacino meets the boyfriend is also priceless and would not add too much to the length of an ADD version. I would have also left Hannah's first meeting with Albert the snitch, which is an important setup for later on. On the other hand, why were so many John Voight scenes left in? Many of these are unnecessary to an "ACTION" version as well. I don't need the meeting between McCauley and mutant-bank-hacker-guy either. If I was an action junkie, I really wouldn't give shit how they got into the bank.... AND THE COPS END UP BEING THERE ANYWAY!!!
5] Which leads me to the DeNiro-Pacino scene. Oh Boy, here goes..... I originally thought this scene was a failure when I first saw it back in 1995. I was shocked, frankly, that they hadn't done more with it. I was also shocked that they both seemed to have been trying to keep from cracking up at some points and I wasn't sure if that was part of the act. That said, the scene has grown on me over the years, and I have come to understand how it remains the heart and soul of the movie. You just can't remove it or the following scene where the cops loose McCauley over the airport. Plus, just based on historical importance of being the only scene in history that DeNiro and Pacino shared justifies inclusion.
5] I couldn't exactly tell how, but the second heist scene was really ruined somehow. Originally, it was a great, suspenseful scene, but in this version it was a bit rushed and lost much of the tension.
6] The Judd-Kilmer thing is a disaster in this version. All of the emotion AND logic which sets up the final scene at the balcony is gone. What?!?!? Again, there are just a few scenes you can leave in with Kilmer-DeNiro and/or Kilmer-Judd which will restore some of the impact this scene deserves.
7] Which leads me to Waynegro. For Chrissake, why do we need him killing the prostitute? Answer: its only there to add weight to McCauleys revenge at the end, and we don't need it because by the end of the film we already have enough motive for McCauley to terminate Waynegro. So we don't need that scene or the subsequent scene with Pacino showing up to comfort the mom. (Which is powerful, but alas, disposable in an "action" version. Also Kevin Gage's performance as Waynegro is stunning and considering the screen time he gets is incredibly effective.
8] Which leads me to the two endings. If McCauley DOESN'T go back to kill Waynegro at the end (which I have always agreed was more logical and fitting his character), we DEFINITELY don't need the prostitute killing or some of the other Waynegro scenes. In addition, I understand the whole end sequence with Waynegro's death is great, but no fucking way would McCauley come all the way back from New Zealand to Boston (?) to do Waynegro 6 months later.
And I don't need all the unnecessary postscripts at the end about what somebody thought would happen to the other characters. (whats with the Kilmer thing with him ending up bashed up in parking lot??!!??)

Anywho, sorry for droning on but if you read this far you are to be commended. Thank You. Keep in mind I only submit this for 3 reasons: 1) I did enjoy the technical exercise of watching someone elses version of the film and I applaud the concept; that is why I offer my analysis... 2) I had some free time on my hands; and 3) I always wanted to try my hand at a screenplay but never seem to get around to it.

Nice up, BTW

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey Boon
Very nice review and thank you for sharing.
Are there any surprices? Does it make you feel like going back to it again?
Did you already know about these points and didnt mind or didnt care?
what did you learn from the experience?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No surprises. It is jsut a different opinion on the movie and a very interesting one. I am VERY satisfied with my result and disagree with the reviewer on many points (especially about adding some of Hanna's background). What I wanted to create (based on yoshimi's ideas) was a heist movie, focussing more on the gangsters than on the cops. Pacino played Hanna so incredibly well that he does not need many scenes to leave a great impression (kind of like Anthony Hopkins in "Silence of the Lambs").
The Hanna backstory contained great scenes and I can see a whole different movie actually working, which would be cool to watch: HEAT - THE DRAMA EDIT, focussing solely on this obsessed cop. But it did not fit to what I had in mind for the pacing and for the focus.
The other points in short:
2] One could also easily include Portman's suicide attempt near the end... this suicide attempt adds absolutely nothign to the heist story. It could not be included without having to include lots of other scenes before.
3&4] Which leads to Venora's part... same reason. Yes, I agree that her acting was great, but to include her would move the focus of the movie to Hanna's private life. Inmy edit we don't even know he is actually married and this is on purpose. Obsessed cops happen to be loners.
5] Which leads me to the DeNiro-Pacino scene. Oh Boy, here goes..... This was the main reason why I wanted my own version (besides the rather bad overall quality of yoshimi's edit). Of course tastes differ, but this scene was dragging, long and included nothing but emptiness to me. And sicne I edited the later on events, it was no problem to take it out without harming the plot. What was meant to be the greatest actors of our time in an acting duel turned out to be ... yeah, like in a Jim Jarmush movie, when two guys meet and talk about nothing. But in a JJ movie, this is funny and cool. In HEAT it was just boring.
6] I couldn't exactly tell how, but the second heist scene was really ruined somehow. Well, I didn't change it one bit. To me and some firends it worked, so I think it is a matter of taste again or of how far you are able to let go of the original movie. If you are already annoyed by the changes, the scene will of course not work. No scene will.
6] The Judd-Kilmer thing is a disaster in this version. well, thjere actually is no Judd-Kilmer thing, so it cannot be much disasterous. I had my first attempt on this edit including Judd's affair, but when I watched through it, it made me shake my head, because it was distracting, so everything about it had to go, which made Kilmer a supporting actor only (which is why his name is not on the front of my cover art). The original movie took its time for every little detail, surrounding the main character, my edit does not have time for this. Focussing is done by dropping other details. I spent a lot of time arranging that safe-house thing, when Judd is aksed to betray her husband and I thinkit works surprisingly well.
7 & 8] Which leads me to Waynegro. Inmy ending waynegro is the one killing Chris. I thought the reference that I made with the text (Chris tried to find Wanyegro and was found with his head smashed. <-- Waynegro did smash that prostitute's head too) was more clear. McCauley knew it was Waynegro who killed Chris, so he came back to finally let him pay for being responsible that it all went down. But he took his time, like someone who actually thinks about what he does, before he does it. And Boston is of course a reference to my friend Nexphr3ak0r, who happens to live there, so I love to palce some of the action there whenever I can.

Whew...so much details. But maybe someone wants to read through this. I sure had a plan (always do).

Finn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting views by that man.

I think its curious that he's approached it as an "ADD" version as he put it and most of his vitriol seems to come from him thinking you've somehow cheapened his "great movie" However I disagree with him on most points. That said he probably never came hear and read any of your thoughts about the movie before watching it.

Not that I'm kissing your ass or anything Boon. so here are a couple of obligatory cribs!

I disagreed with the exact phrasing of the end text...I'm a grammar nazi and it didn't feel 100% like the voice of the movie as I heard it. if that makes any sense. Not that it was bad, but the head smashed line jarred me a little. I'd ahve gone with shot twice in the head, but I'm a Usual Suspects nut. :)

Also my interpretation was that Waynegro had killed Kilmer in the parking lot. That may have been a mis-reading of the intention but thats how it stood for me, I'd rather that had been an explicit link if it was means, but otherwise, I loved it.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you thought Waynegro had killed Kilmer's character you thought exactly like I intended it.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That said he probably never came hear and read any of your thoughts about the movie before watching it.
I don't think anyone should have to read anything before enjoying a movie.

Finn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
killbillme said:
That said he probably never came hear and read any of your thoughts about the movie before watching it.
I don't think anyone should have to read anything before enjoying a movie.

I meant that in the sense that I had already read it so possibly had inside knowledge. Sorta....

Good to know that I wasn't just mad seeing the Kilmer connection there Boon.

stamper

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finally watched it. Excellent work, I prefer the original ending where De Niro character is killed. More emotionaly satisfying and less like a TV movie (remember Heat was actually a TV movie before being remade years laters with stars for the big screen). Apart from a couple of maybe three transitions, I say this is my prefered re-watchable version of the movie.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thank you, stamper. I am glad you liked it (and once again happy to have included both endings).

ColdNorway

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks,I did search before I asked the question.I thought maybe it was under the edit maker Boon23 ,rather than the whole former team CBB.

Sadly though I found out that it was uploaded with Quickpar,and as you may remember I,still being a Klutz/newbie in DVD burning programs,didn`t manage to burn the edit "War Of The Worlds -The Extinctive".So I guess this edit is sadly a no go for me.Thats really too bad ,because I really loved the CBB work "Blade 3 - Behead the King Edition".Finally I could enjoy the movie without wanting to rip the heart out of Ryan Reynolds/Hannibal King.And Wesley Snipes/Blade didn`t seem too out of touch with reality even though his pot habit was massive.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't get it what the problem with quickpar is, because it is only a means to protect the files from causing errors.
You need quickpar and winrar.
Download all the files.
Unpack the rar files into the same directory.
launch quickpar and unpack the DVD files. It should work like magic.

Top Bottom