• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Godfather Chronological Edit: FULL HD Rebuild - MAX LENGTH 10h 5min

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I still haven't seen Lawrence of Arabia. I've been watching so many other things, but I really should get around to that. Also, I don't think I've seen a film on actual film. I might have once when I saw an early screening of The Hobbit 2 with my dad, which at a young age was great (now I watch fanedits of the trilogy), but other than that, I am not sure if I have. I also love long films, because I love relaxing in the world and really investing in it. It's why I love the extended LOTR over theatrical. It allows me to soak up the story, especially with it being an adaptation.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Try and hold off for a cinema screening....it does turn up now and again. Defo the best way to see it.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Your rants are beautiful - i grew up in the 80's and lived on a diet of cinema up until around 1983 when the parents finally managed to save up for a VHS player. I still got my first bootleg copy of ROTJ the first tape we ever owned...movies to me are such a big passion and i am determined to instill this into my kids. I even paid out a nice few quid to get an outbuilding built in my garden a couple of years back that is now a cinema room , 120" projector screen and 7.1 surround. Yes...i always wanted one but never had the means in my younger days but a big reason was to encourage my kids to watch movies on a big screen...to try and pass on the passion for film. I nknow its all digitalised but its the next best thing. It works to some degree but there is so much outside influence - streaming platforms, peer pressure and internet they the kids are so distracted. I am hoping that eventually when they are older they get that sense of nostalgia and continue to watch the films i have introduced them too. Tonight i'm showing one of my favourites the John Hughes movie "Some Kind of Wonderful" which is my favourite film of his...plus my 13 year old daughter is susceptible to an 80's teen flick as she loved Sixteen Candles & Can't buy me love.......i'm trying.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Beautiful RANTS huh...LOL (THANKS)

That's just awesome (as in your setup) ...It's great to take your kids on a cultural journey. Mine cried when I took him to see Godzilla (the Broderick one) coz he loved dinosaurs. He says it was his Bambi moment. And yet, despite taking him thru so many classics from the 30s up to the 80s, I managed never to get Abbot and Costello in front of him, or Bob Hope. But he knows Chaplin, Marx Bros, David Lean, Steve McQueen, John Ford, Leone, Sirk, Capra, Cary Grant, Noir and more. Of course we exhausted the 70s and 80s too. Kubrick....Just 1 left, Dr Strangelove....and for me....I still have not watched Eyes Wide Shut!!!!! I can't bear the idea that there will be no more Kubrick. He LOVES the Godfather.

Enjoy that trip with your kids.....(slip in The Man Who would be King and A Man for All Seasons too) time flies friend!

Next on our list TOP GUN MAVERICK on the IMAX!

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I'll watch as many old re runs of films as I can, preferably on IMAX, but I'll take any theater experience I can get.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was lucky enough to get to see Dial M for Murder and Kiss me Kate in their ORIGINAL 3D....much better than the conversions of today which look like a series of cutouts at differing depths. Native 3D has something conversions are missing, VOLUME of the object, makes a difference.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LA FINE - SUBMITED

The Godfather Part III additional scenes/Shots
- 6 shots newly added to the CODA version of Part 3
- All material removed from La Coda is added back and graded to approximate the grade of La Coda (19 mins)
- New Opening Titles
- Restored opening
- Additional dialogue between Michael and the Cardinal NOT SEEN IN ANY OTHER VERSION in HD!!
- Corrected continuity establishing shots
- More thorough translation of subtitles, all fully re made and expanded
- 4 secs removed of Mary' making and odd face (yet again)
- Restored ending
- 5 secs removed from finale
- Kay lighting a candles in remembrance (used under the credits for the Novel for television)
- An in Memoriam sequence during the end credit from The Trilogy version (rebuilt from scratch in HD)

Cisco Andrade

Reaction score
Trophy Points
can't wait to get my hands on this edit! The others are awesome.
LA FINE - SUBMITED

The Godfather Part III additional scenes/Shots
- 6 shots newly added to the CODA version of Part 3
- All material removed from La Coda is added back and graded to approximate the grade of La Coda (19 mins)
- New Opening Titles
- Restored opening
- Additional dialogue between Michael and the Cardinal NOT SEEN IN ANY OTHER VERSION in HD!!
- Corrected continuity establishing shots
- More thorough translation of subtitles, all fully re made and expanded
- 4 secs removed of Mary' making and odd face (yet again)
- Restored ending
- 5 secs removed from finale
- Kay lighting a candles in remembrance (used under the credits for the Novel for television)
- An in Memoriam sequence during the end credit from The Trilogy version (rebuilt from scratch in HD)

potatowes

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finally watched the first hour of part 1 this morning and it completely blew me away. I've been waiting almost a month to watch, because I had originally planned to set aside the full day and well I just don't have 10 hours at a stretch very often. But I didn't want to wait any longer and I'm glad I didn't.

There's a ton of footage I'd never seen before (not saying much since I haven't seen many of the deleted scenes anyway), but it wasn't always obvious unless I was looking for it. Really striking how a lot of this footage adds to the clarity of the story. Very glad you invested your time & efforts to make this happen, Wraith.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UBER SIZED FILES (45-55GB) are back for a limited time!
Please PM me.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My pleasure
I finally watched the first hour of part 1 this morning and it completely blew me away. I've been waiting almost a month to watch, because I had originally planned to set aside the full day and well I just don't have 10 hours at a stretch very often. But I didn't want to wait any longer and I'm glad I didn't.

There's a ton of footage I'd never seen before (not saying much since I haven't seen many of the deleted scenes anyway), but it wasn't always obvious unless I was looking for it. Really striking how a lot of this footage adds to the clarity of the story. Very glad you invested your time & efforts to make this happen, Wraith.

potatowes

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished part one last night. It's almost like a new movie. The story is familiar but more coherent and the scenes are seamlessly edited in. Going to watch part 2 as soon as I can!

TheDarkStormer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I stumbled upon this thread over my morning coffee having not been on the forum for months and that was over 2 hours ago.

I've read and watched everything posted and have to agree that the attention to detail is astounding. I have a new, deeper respect for Wraith and all fan editors if they do even half of the work done here. I take my hat off to you all.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I stumbled upon this thread over my morning coffee having not been on the forum for months and that was over 2 hours ago.

I've read and watched everything posted and have to agree that the attention to detail is astounding. I have a new, deeper respect for Wraith and all fan editors if they do even half of the work done here. I take my hat off to you all.
Thanks for those generous words.

The truth is that this was supposed to be a straightforward assembly of existing material and then the rabbit hole opened up.. The more I drilled down, the more flaws and corner cuts I spotted in the previous official versions of the chronological edits. Then I began to notice differences in things like Michael putting his sone to bed and missing Italian dialogue which De Niro delivered on camera, and so I ended up going much, much deeper into this than anticipated.

I just needed to have this done and I don't like to cut corners (hence the new credit rolls), so that's how it ended up being such a fascinating journey. Overall, it was one of the most satisfying editing experiences I have had. Ironically, unless you know these films inside out, most viewers will think not much has been done apart from dropping in the deleted material but then again that is the idea and the measure of achieving the goal.

The missing videos from this thread are available as an EXTRA due to YouTube not understanding the concept of fair use and comment etc.

NOW, Back to SPLIT UNBREAKABLE GLASS...

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UBER size likely to be removed in two weeks to make room for SPLIT UNBREAKABLE GLASS.

This is you last chance. At over 100GB, they are unlikely to return.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MULTIPLS UPDATES:

THE UBER FILES ARE COMING BACK, for a limited time...after which, they will be gone for good...

By the time my next project is loaded, even keeping the MP4s of the as yet un-announced endevour, will mean there is no room for either of the two Magnum Opus files. PM me accordingly.

THE VETURO EDIT and THE EPIC 1901-1959 in HD.

I have recently obtained both of these and will be doing a 3 way comparison to see if there is any additional HD material that may be used.

THE VENTURO EDIT does appear to be all HD and my initial assessment (at 9hr 4mins) is that it is a hybrid of extended, chronological and theatrical edits creating a chronological version.. Though I have not done a deep dive yet, the following are immediately obvious to me:

• I noticed a flashback to 1901 Vito inon Ellis Island (thus repeating the material where he is alone in the holding room, and begins to sing) in order to facilitate a faded (per The GF Part 2) to the communion cleanly. This is quite jarring.
  • Also at 20:00, there is a quick fade out to cover up what is actually a great longshot used in the TV version from an alternate take....to use that shot required a carful reframing and staged digital wipe...very hard, but I managed it. All other edits abandon that approach to create the transition coz its all a single shot, but different takes...and tough to do.
  • Also, the scene when the brothers introduce themselves at a dinner in a flashback at the end of GF2, has been placed BEFORE the "I believe in America" scene. Interesting choice. I toyed with that as well but it is clear that material that would sit between that scene and the then ""I Believe..." scene was nowhere to be found and the makers bolted it on to the end of Part 2, as a reflective piece of when the family and brothers were more united...for poignancy's sake. I ultimately decided not to lose that moment. in it's originally released location rather than force the piece.
  • Also...Michael puts young Anthony to bed AFTER the shooting, which if you read my thread further up the running order , that scene (as I demonstrated) ACTUALLY occurs before the shooting and the dialogue was altered in post. I found the original dialogue and restored the scene to its correct place with all the dialogue and extensive audio work to make it work again.....and so many more little things
I'll report back if I make any worthy discoveries.

THE EPIC 1901-1959 in HD.
Now this is odd. All the evidence indicates that this should not exist in HD. It was only released on VHS and the only televised showings pre-date HD TV significantly. Tis may be an fan re-construction, which is easy since it runs just over 7 hours, and all but two scenes which are unique to the VHS version, exist in HD. I will be doing a deep dive on this edit as well and will report back anything significant. It is possible, that a 35mm neg of the epic, used to make the VHS, could have been scanned for a broadcast somewhere, and this may have been recorded or kept by someone. Again, I will look into it since it is in English to boot.

So..thinking this thread was done...here we are again.

"just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"

Last edited:

Frikken12

Reaction score
Trophy Points
MULTIPLS UPDATES:

THE UBER FILES ARE BACK, for a limited time...after which, they will be gone for good..

By the time my next project is loaded, even keeping the MP4s of the as yet un-announced endevour, will mean there is no room for either of the two Magnum Opus files. PM me accordingly.

THE VETURO EDIT and THE EPIC 1901-1959 in HD.

I have recently obtained both of these and will be doing a 3 way comparison to see if there is any additional HD material that may be used.

THE VENTURO EDIT does appear to be all HD and my initial assessment (at 9hr 4mins) is that it is a hybrid of extended, chronological and theatrical edits creating a chronological version.. Though I have not done a deep dive yet, the following are immediately obvious to me:

• I noticed a flashback to 1901 Vito inon Ellis Island (thus repeating the material where he is alone in the holding room, and begins to sing) in order to facilitate a faded (per The GF Part 2) to the communion cleanly. This is quite jarring.
  • Also at 20:00, there is a quick fade out to cover up what is actually a great longshot used in the TV version from an alternate take....to use that shot required a carful reframing and staged digital wipe...very hard, but I managed it. All other edits abandon that approach to create the transition coz its all a single shot, but different takes...and tough to do.
  • Also, the scene when the brothers introduce themselves at a dinner in a flashback at the end of GF2, has been placed BEFORE the "I believe in America" scene. Interesting choice. I toyed with that as well but it is clear that material that would sit between that scene and the then ""I Believe..." scene was nowhere to be found and the makers bolted it on to the end of Part 2, as a reflective piece of when the family and brothers were more united...for poignancy's sake. I ultimately decided not to lose that moment. in it's originally released location rather than force the piece.
  • Also...Michael puts young Anthony to bed AFTER the shooting, which if you read my thread further up the running order , that scene (as I demonstrated) ACTUALLY occurs before the shooting and the dialogue was altered in post. I found the original dialogue and restored the scene to its correct place with all the dialogue and extensive audio work to make it work again.....and so many more little things
I'll report back if I make any worthy discoveries.

THE EPIC 1901-1959 in HD.
Now this is odd. All the evidence indicates that this should not exist in HD. It was only released on VHS and the only televised showings pre-date HD TV significantly. Tis may be an fan re-construction, which is easy since it runs just over 7 hours, and all but two scenes which are unique to the VHS version, exist in HD. I will be doing a deep dive on this edit as well and will report back anything significant. It is possible, that a 35mm neg of the epic, used to make the VHS, could have been scanned for a broadcast somewhere, and this may have been recorded or kept by someone. Again, I will look into it since it is in English to boot.

So..thinking this thread was done...here we are again.

"just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"
7 Hour Epic, didn’t HBO remaster that in HD for HBO Go around 2016? Just to possibly solve that mystery

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
7 Hour Epic, didn’t HBO remaster that in HD for HBO Go around 2016? Just to possibly solve that mystery
Thanks...That's quite possible, but the version of that which I have does not have the additional scenes, so I have always thought it was a "cleanish" rebuild...though Why HBO would only rebuild that when Part 3 had been around for some time is a mystery, given that the Theatrical version of Part 3 was never released to DVD or Blu Ray.

Again, I'll do some rooting around and see what else I might find.

Top Bottom