• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The Godfather Chronological Edit: FULL HD Rebuild - MAX LENGTH 10h 5min

VERY YOUNG VITO to YOUNG VITO DE NIRO crossfade comparisons and my final fix, with examples of ALL other versions and the source material. 4 minutes total.

I still was not happy with my final version, since the captions were not aligned...so I fixed that too.

I will not be showing further such previews, though I will discuss the more troublesome issues that I will inevitably encounter....anyone who thinks this is and easy edit...thing again! I don't see the point of putting this together if it is not an improvemnt on the previous versions...so lets fix what's wrong WITHOUT changing anything.....

The point here, is if no one notices what I have done when they see it cold, then I have succeeded!. "OH, that's just how I recall it was..." YUP, coz the brain filters out the crap friends!

"Tomorrow is another day"

Enjoy

W

Last edited:
MORE MAD MEANDERINGS
And
OPEN QUESTION.

To change,nor not to change, THAT IS the question.

Why fanedit it if it's perfect? Well, there are a gazillion edits of the original Matrix movie trilogy, but none fixed a continuity error I spotted...so my Matrix Revolutions Reloaded edit DOes fix it.. AMOUNST MANY OTHER THINGS.. What was that error? I'll come back to that. But, does raise a valid question. In assembling this chronological version and in comparing shot for shot all 5 versions of these films ( really did and I can render the on screen version if anyone is interested...yup, it's loads in an edit timeline with multiple overlays and saved) I noticed and handful of shots and scenes that were moved about. Some, we're done to disguise the removal of material, others, improve flow and pace, and another resolved a continuity error when Micael visits his son at bedtime (see earlier posts).

Now, I'm no Copolla or David Lean BUT, WHEN THE CHRONO version was compiled by Walter Murch (note, the credit was "Compiled by) it all went back in pretty much in the order it was in in GF part II. Now, many scenes were also added, and they frankly needed to be. When you tell a story which jumps about in time, you can actually leave a lot of material out coz the audience will fill in the gaps, now, if you are MAD like me, you would know already that those young Vito scenes from the theatrical version of part II play real crap when viewed back to back. They feel thin, discontinuous, rushed and frankly, not very solid at all. It must have been a major driver for adding the material, and in fact a chrono version of the theatrical material only, does not exist. It's why I'm convinced that when presented with the rough cut, at 4.5 hrs plus, the studio freaked out, and the theatrical version, at 3.5 hrs was born. ( hour in the trash).

But just coz we have 75 minutes of material instead of 30 (for young Vito) does not mean that it is narratively solid. There are a handful of switches to the running order that would immensely improve the flow and pace. I won't go into detail at this point, since I'm still playing around with it, but I think that section could benefit from 2 or 3 scenes being moved about to make things smoother....no real fan editing per se, just a few tweaks. As it is, the chrono edits do differ in that respect.

So, shall I tweak?

Nothing will be deleted....let me know.

Ahh, that Matrix error? It is when agent smith is interrogating Morpheus, there is a close up on his feet, he starts to walk, cut to his face, he is standing still and then after a few secs, and he starts to walk. A little shot rearrangement and dialogue reordering, and it was all sorted.... There are a few of those in GF too, but I'm already decided in fixing them coz no one will ever know....

Nothing exceeds like excess

W

Your attention to detail and thought process has made for a interesting read throughout.... So with that in mind I say tweak as i can't see you being completely satisfied if you don't.

Fair assessment...one thing was mechanically analysing the films, but I actually have not watched it for a long time, until now. There are quite a few more clumsy transitions post the first one I fixed. Tweak I shall, and I will report back on how it goes....

I'm flattered that my madness is interesting.....

Let's see what's down the rabbit hole!

UPDATE

The editing is back on...WHOO HOO!

So one more transitions from the 1917 section done (and there are 5 in total, so 2/5 done) , the 7 additions dropped in (needing polish) AND, The closing scene when Michael is ...(oops, almost a spoiler leak) is watched by Kay thru the door..AHHH yest THAT scene. Why that one? Well, I'll come back to that later...

SO, this transition is when Young Vito walks off after being offered a basket and then we are in his apartment with his wife at dinner. All the non AMC versions of the Chrono versions make a hash of this...AMC GOT THIS ONE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! They changed it to a fade to black, presumably for an ad break BUT, that is exactly what is needed at this point (the fade, not an ad break)!

NOW, I know I said I was going to remove the fades to black, and I'll come to that later in the process, but here it works. WHY? Well, at this point of the movie we are about 27 min into it, and we have had a few important scenes and Vito is struggling. A pause AFTER the basket scene gives the viewer an emotional pause and allows some breathing room for the material. Many movies use fade to black in mid flow for many valid reasons, and given the music cresendo, it just feels right. Now, AMC, to their credit, have an apartment exterior shot after the fade before xfading to Vito and his wife at dinner. If you watch the other versions, which is straight xfade from street to dinner table, it feels rushed, the music fades out too early, and its just plain off kilter. So, that's fixed, although I'm now going to go through all the music CDs to find the correct piece to see if I can fix one residual thing that bothers me...If I fix it, I'll let you know what it was....

A bigger issue here, is that the fade is actually one of the shots which is also longer in the AMC version. This meant switching to the AMC shot at some point, and there is no satisfactory way, so compromise was needed, but the shot IS IN....AMC's HD is of a lower quality than the Bluray source material, so some slight change is noticed, but it is minor overall and I think a price worth paying for the better overall transition.

I'll come back on the FINAL SHOT of the movie enhancement later, since food is on the plate!

Bon Appetit

W

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I spent a fair amount of time on the very last scene of Film 1, which as I said is the scene ofKay watching Michael thru the door...Yup, the end of The Godfather (part1). I normally edit linearly, in otherwords, as I go in line with the movie. About half my edits I do "on the fly" since it's all in my head". The others I plan, watching the movie, making notes etc. Some (like The Hobbit and Alien Covenant) I plan meticulously. This one, is on the fly with some planning. As a result, if something pops into my head, I go to that and get completely distracted until it's resolved (you may have noticed). That's why I got massively distracted by the Credits.....(glad that is out the way).

So back to the last scene...an important distraction, then I'll drill into todays update.

I was literally sleeping and when I awoke something was clear to me.....it just appeared in my head. The opening pre title shots of Michael at the beginning of Part 2 is unsused material close ups from the closing scene of Part 1. He wearing the same shirt, braces/suspenders, the man who takes his hand is the chap on the left in part 1. It struck me I can enhance that dramatic moment. So I tested it, and it is perfect.....so I polished it up. I created a new shot of Kay in the doorway, slowing the video by 50% and reversing the play and then applied a slight zoom out. This is dropped in after the first man takes his hand. The effect is to signal her distancing from Michael, and her horror. Then we see the second man take his hand and cut to the close up of Michael and then the hand. Both shots are in slow motion in Part 2. I havethem sped up to almost normal speed. so we get those 3 extra shots, trimmed for pacing and the audio that is there, and then it plays out per the original. The overall effect of to raise that emotional beat. It also clarifies the opening of PArt 2 and acts as a bridge between Film 1 and 2. Thus, Film 2 does not need a recap, the opening pre credit scene tells you all you need to really know already.

It's amazing how well it all cuts together; why, coz it was shot to and meant to go there originally and when they edited part 1, they left it out for whatever reason. I think they did not use the material because by keeping it all framed in long shots, it heightens the "distancing" effect. I've added to that distancing with this pull out slow zoom on Kay, but the added closeups of Michael and his hand show he is fully drawn into that role...thus IMHO, a greater divide between him and Kay.

I will NOT be doing much tinkering like this with the material, as I have said. BUT where there are tweaks that scream FIX ME, especially on the transitions etc, I will fix.

Which brings me to to days transition work. That has been focusing on the same scene I mentioned yesterday and polishing it all up, especially the fade in with the AMC extra shot of the apartment exterior which is marred NOT just by the lower left AMC logo, but also a PG 14 logo on the top left. I've dealt with this by cropping both out and applying a right to left pan. This has the fortuitous effect of starting on a brick wall and panning to a lit window to cross fad into the room. By applying the pan, the 50% slow down is disguised, since the frame rate of the pan will be 24 fps, thus the 12 fps of the shot is partially neutralized to a degree. That did not work as well as I wanted, so I changed to a slight upward pan and tiny zoom. That does work, and allowed the shot to be lengthened to accommodate the extra long audio of the ambient radio in the AMC version. This then threw up another issue; the first line of dialogues subtitles come up too late. fortunately, I paid up for the correct font (Mayer if you are interested), and added the subtitle in the exact position so that appears earlier and over the one burnt into the source material. Fortunately, the registration error in the body of the films is negligible so the existing subtitle does not wobble into view. (there are a few instances in the extended version were subtitles have been added but in the incorrect font. These will be remade with clean plates from the theatrical version.

I've used the technique to disguise many slowed down shots I have had to use in edits over the years where I have needed and extended single shot that does not exists, for instance to disguise the removal of dialogue mid sentence on an actor close up. Remove the dialogue, cut to the person listening reaction shot, reversed and slowed, sometimes flipped (to disguise a re-used shot), maybe reframe is slightly, and if needed, apply a tiny pan or zoom if the shot was slowed IF the slowing is noticeable....

I also dealt with the baby pneumonia scene. As it stands in all chrono versions, this comes AFTER the carpet scene. This is a jarring jump cut. Everyone is happy at home, cut to screaming baby who is ill and Vito looking worried. It does not work. I could soften the transition, but it is still jarring. So, the only option it to move the scene. Given the scenes sequencing, there are a limited number of places it could go with out being so jarring. One, is after Clemenza closes the door when he is selling dresses. This is at night, so the jump cut is not jarring, since the baby scene is also at night and Vito is not in the preceding scene. BUT it then creates a new jarring jump cut. Clemenza shuts the door, sad baby scene, cut to upbeat Clemenza exiting apartment in daylight having had his evil way....Baby cutting to post copulation gleeful scene is awful. So, option two. After Fanucci is jumped on by the kids, it cuts to Vito talking about the events he saw. Great place to drop in the baby scene. Fanucci jumped in day, cut to night, baby concerned, then cut to morning, Vito talks about what he saw. Much better. This also has the added bonus of piling on Vito's stress ahead of his decent into crime when they steal the rug. It also adds more depth to the scene when Clemenza asks him "would your wife like that?". Vito's pause is now loaded with the mounting troubles in his life, so his yes is all the more logical to us the viewr, and credible for the character. So, drop in a flipped establishing shot of the apartment window at night, and then an additional reaction shot of Vito, when his wife turns and looks at him, and we have added depth to the characters, upped Vito's motivation, AND removed a god awful jump cut from lazy assembly in the chrono versions. Plus, there is a much needed gap after the Fanucci incident so that when we cut to the store, its not so jarring that people have already heard about the incident. Now THAT is satisfying, and I don't' feel I've tampered, just tweaked....WIN WIN if you ask me!

So that's it for today.

Tomorrow, the final 1917 transitions, and then, the scene sequencing which does differ in the Chrono edits, but I'll share what those differences are and what choices I have made, when I make them, IF i need to make them (given the tweaks so far). And there's only one way to be sure...WATCH ALL 75 mins again....

And...more evidence that the structure of Part II Theatrical was created in post has emerged on viewing the next transition, which is Vito outside Genco raising the sign and then the trip to Sicily. More on that, tomorrow.

"Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you."

W

Last edited:
I'm going to make a prediction now that I'm sure is correct... when this edit is all said and done, and has been seen by enough people for the opinion to become consensus, they'll erect a statue of you outside the Motion Picture Editors Guild offices, assuming they exist.

Now you are making me blush....GOSH!

Oh Shucks!

OH DEAR, OH DEAR, OH DEAR.....

Did I open up a can of worms today....more later (trying to get the worms back in)

UPDATE

I'm in such a crazy place, I had to read my own post from yesterday to remind myself what I WAS GOING TO DO...

Instead, I spent the day exploring the best way to use the captionless opening from the AMC version....that's the scene with the funeral procession in Corleone Sicily in 1910 ("Vito Born 1901, he was 9 years old"...blah blah"). I always HATED that captioned opening from the Chrono versions....so again credit to AMC for taking the trouble to scan the negative without the caption. At least they treated their audience with a modicum of intelligence. PLUS...we don't need to know all that nonsense. WHY? Coz we find out in the next 7 minutes....the protagonists all tell us who dies, why, etc.

RULE ONE FILMAKING: SHOW DON'T TELL!!!!!

SO....I can't use the theatrical version....it's much shorter, the framing is different, the color timing differs. I want the full length version.

I can't crop out AMC, the caption is 60% of the damn screen. I cant cross fade, alignment and color is a nightmare. I tried roto, but the two sources I have, have different registration errors. Motion stabilisation helped, but caused all manner of other issues, and I'm going to die at some point and would like to get it done before then.

I could slow down the material to match the length of the available audio; result, it looks like what it is slowed down, and the registraion issue looks odder. I tried a few other mad things, including isolating the funeral party and dropping them into a clean plate...that makes i lok like a badly mastered PBS documentary, you know, foreground and background wobble in different directions...it's all S H 1 T !

And then, I stumbled on a different, primitive "cave man" approach to maybe solving the problem.....laborious, but it tests well...so I'm gonna plod on...and I'll be back later....and why did I open this can of worms? Coz, tucked up in bed, with iPAD on chest, watching those first 75 minutes, as my beautiful new titles ended, I was hit by that opening (which I detest) and my mind screamed out "FIX IT, DUMMY", and thus begun a restless sleep to figure it out....and here I am. RANTING at you all again.

SPEAK SOON

Last edited:
PART II - POST EVIDENCE (CONTD)
AMAZING REVELATION - A M A Z I N G

SO....lets talk about The Godfather Part II and my theory that the much lauded structure was created in post production after the longer rough cut.

(I'll come back to the previous post and the funeral procession march, tomorrow...since I'm still working on it).

So, yesterday, I did manage to complete on more , in fact the last 1917 transition and the is the one outside Genco when the car almost knocks over Clemenza.

I found some more irrefutable evidence that not only was Part II filmed to be seen chronologically, but the change to the non-linear structure, to help accommodate drastic cuts, appears to have come late in post-production. Now, I hear you exclaim, how on earth can you know that let alone prove it based on just playing around with the movie on your PC?

I looked at the transition on the EPIC, SAGA, TRLOGY and AMC cuts...they are all fairly similar, similarly flawed...and I wont go into all the ins and outs. However, sometimes, especially when I amd doing sound work, I will wear headphones (Sennheiser for the record) or ear buds. When you aound edit on speakers, it is quite forgiving, and a good guage of what viewers will hear. You can get away with a lot of imperfections....but when you need total precision, you need that sound pumped down that auricular canal (that's the tunnel you shove cotton buds down).

So while listening to the point that the car passes Clemenza and sounds its horn, I happened to be looking out of the window. The combination of these two things revealed something truly amazing! Before I get to that, let's do some science. How many out there have heard of THE McGURK EFFECT? Some of you will have, most I presume not...so STOP READING and watch this short 2 min clip from the BBC sceience anthology series, HORIZON, then we can talk more.

AMAZING HUH!

Well, I'm fortunate enough to have come across this a while back and I have carfully used this in a number of edits to change onscreen spoken words to solve editing roadblocks. I will post a clip from my unrealesed Superman The Movie: The Donner Cut/Shooting Script to show how I used it, and the original footage to prove IT WORKS. So why am I mentioning it here, when all I was doing was looking out of the window and listening to the car horn that goes off passing Clemenza before the clumsy crossfade to the Train in Sicily? Because, by accident, looking at the birds out the window, I removed the MvGURK effect from what I was hearing. YOU, ME and the whole world have seen that scene, and we all hear what we were suppose to hear; a car horn. What I heard for the first time was a car horn initially, but it turned into a train whistle.....a steam train whistle....the steam train in the next scene. YES FOLKS, this film was in rough cut but the sound mix must have been near final. That scene was clearly supposed to be a jump vut to the train in Sicicil, softening the hard cut with a strong audio override CARHORN LOUD, CROSSFADE the audio to a Train almost instantly, hard cut to train and continuing trainwhistle. It's a technique used in many memoreable hard jumpcuts in movies. And it was used here too.

I took the audio from it, and loaded into an audio mixer. I found an old car horn claxon sound on the net...took about 10 minutes to finad a very similar one, and I substracted from the soundwave....I then played back the result: YUP you guessed it, I has left with a train whistle, albeit a shitty sounding one, but it was there. CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!! The main downmix of this was already in the can when they previewed to the studio. With studio shouting for 45/60 minutes of cuts, there would not have been the time or the money to go back to the original Negative, make new editing dupes...since the Negative is usually used for the cutting. So they would have had to remove the additional material from a near final down mix. So they cut, re-arranged, and the Oscars flowed.

When this was re-assembled, the audio that should have been overlapping, was separated into what we now have as a lengthy cross fade. It's too much of a coincidence, that when I then brought the two clips together, tightening the cross fade (by losing 1 sec on each side) the audio was almost perfect...It should not have been. One is a car horn, the other a train whistle...it should not blend....BUT it did...WHY, coz it had already been done for me....The imperfection was not that bad on speakers either...go on....get your copy out and watch that scene and SHUT YOUR EYES. It does not matter which version. If its the theatrical, get a picture of a train on your phone of tablet, look at it and play the clip...I did...it's uncanny!!!!

SO, next, I went off and found some good ol' steam train sounds, found two I liked, and smoothed over the audio....frankly not much to do, but HUH, you all know what a lunatic I am by now! I should also add, it works much better as a hard jump cut, so there is another tweak made, which I genuinely believe is what thos studio suits saw in that smoke filled room 50 odd years ago (I was probably watching H R Puffinstuff at the same time)...LOL

FRANKLY, I did not expect to find any more insightful revelations. IN fact, this was suppose to be an easy edit; DONE IN A WEEK, 14 rearrangements, bolt on Part 1 and II (with the missing bits), pick the titlaes that work, replace the NAME, and we are done....
THESE MOVIES DESERVE BETTER I HAVE DISCOVERED, and that shot for shot analysis (which was meant to save me time by revealing ALL the changes) ended up being so much more interesting (as you already know).

SO, what next? I don't really think there will be any more revelations BUT, I'm on 1.25 hours into a 10 hour movie....with more than 8.5 hrs left, there are bound to be a few more surprises...that keeps me excited. We shall see.

Tomorrow, I'll return to the captionless opening scene (and the solution), and then, we are into the body of what is The Godfather (Part 1) extended.

This is turning out to be so much fun!

"Where you go from here is a choice I leave to you.”

CRAZY IDEA!

I have a satisfactory opening funeral procession, in HD with no captions, full length....later I'll explain how I got to that. But I am not happy with it...so I'm considering something crazy, like I did for the credits, that was nuts frankly cutting out each letter etc....I'm going to test this idea....if it works, I'm gonna be derailed for a day or two executing the idea....

I've not forgotten about Superman and the McGurk effect...coming later as well.

What can I say?

I guess a "Preservation" is sort of a fan edit...there have been a few...(Amadeus Theatrical Cut in HD for instance)
For some reason, I feel compelled to share what I'm finding on this one. I can't helps what pops up, but hey, you should see the things I came across on SUPERMAN (1 & 2 classics, but I also read a mow out of print book...proper book, not picture book, about the making of...as it happened....EYE OPENER).

I certainly did not do that on The HObbit....if I had it would have taken 5 years not 4 years....

Maybe we make a documentary after, nothing huge, 30 mins, ask for comment (by email and zoom) on some of those findings; though I must add for the record, certain that I am on some of this...I could be wrong...but the evidence is circumstantially strong I'd say....

Back with a n update later and McGURK...

UPDATE - SHORT

So, on the opening I ended up going with a split screen. Static grab, on the right obscuring the caption, live action procession on the left. It aligns perfectly BUT, for the first few secs there is a slights pan, so have to move the split over by one pixel to maintain the alignment...about 15 times in total. The only issue, is the registration error on the left exposes some areas where the split is. Stabilising does not solve it and I cant find how to get a soft edge, which would help, but not resolve. It is more than acceptable I think, but I amd going to try something.

This is the mad bit. I'm going to try to manually remove the camera/film registration error....its only about 300/350 frames. I figure about a quarter would need a tweak....I'm going to a 1 sec test in the middle of the worst section...if it works, great, if not. We are stuck with that very slight issue.

As I said, a travelling matte exposed the issue in multiple axis and looked awful. Transparent mask, chromakey, travelling mask all looked like what they were.

I am also trying many renders using differing tools to see if any help...We shall see.

McGurk to follow.

Tomorrow, back to the edit. NO documentary mode (unless I make another discovery of merit), and the bar is set high from here.

"... this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

BONUS

As promised
The McGurk effect in action in a fanedit, albeit it is a long shot of Brando, but there is a lot of micro editing to ensure the words land in the correct places. The original audio was removed at those points with the ambient sounds,and music added back in in sync thanks to the 40th anniversary CDs, lots of ambient fortress of solitude audio and a few other touches.

ALTERED scene first, then the clean version.....

Brando is a coincidence and I shall not be adding deleted Brando scenes from Superman and Superman 2 to The Godfather Edit....The wardrobe clashes, and is a continuity nightmare...

ENJOY

TEST VIEW

I asked a family member to watch the Funeral procession; I did not tell them why. They asked "and...?" I had them watch again. "yup, so? what am I looking for?"

I then told them the issue I have with it.

I was told to get a life....so I guess it's good enough....

LOVING the artistic support!

MICRO UPDATE:

Polishing
what's been done so far; all over. Micro tweaks, added clean source opening music, blah blah....You all know what this looks like.

Also did the transition from end of Young Vito (all completed) to "I believe in America." This requires a cross fade via black. The timing is crucial to not be jarring. The fade in of the protagonist is TOO fast, so I have lengthened it. Also added a new Caption when the scene ends and it cuts to the Wedding arrival car park. "NEW YORK, 1945"...font per the one used in the PART II Young Vito etc...same color, size, spacing etc.

Off to watch something made by other people...I vaguely recall it is called Television.

"Now, where was I?"

Last edited:
UPDATE

Polish to 1917 completed, editing GF 1 section resumed.

The biggest polish came with baby Fredo pneumonia scene. The cut from Young Vito to him standing looking at baby Fredo is too jarring. I have elected to cut to an establishing shot of the apartment window, baby crying segues over the of Fanucci descending the stairs. The audio is from the shot of young Vito looking on, it is the first shot. The scene continues as is, and that shot is repurposed as a recation shot when his wife looks over the first time (thus not material is lost). This is much smoother.

ON the main edit, the alternate take of Woltz has been incorporated into the studio scene with some minor shot re-ordering to facilitate, plus audio work.

The extended shot of Tom Hagen hugging his wife before the family sit down, has been inserted, AMC logo cropped out, so now Tom is seen to kiss her. It was the kiss that was missing in ALL OTHER VERSIONS. The crossfade transition was rebuilt with associated audio work.

Finally today, a little music thing I noticed while going thru all the CDs. The track called A NEW CARPET, on a ll soundtrack versions, opens with an initial pianolla sting. This is not used in any version of the movies. Clemenza and Vito agree to get the carpet, he downs his espresso, cut to street and about 1 sec later the jaunty pianolla music ensues. Well, now...as Clemenza downs the espresso, we get the pianolla sting, cut to street and jaunty music. The sting acts like as an audio cue of mischief to follow, signaling a change in tone. It is a much smoother leap now, and works well. Can't think why it was not left out.

I also rebuilt the opening music for Films 1 and 2. It will remain faithful to the existing movies, but rebuilding them proved interesting since they are made up of different music cues from varied pieces edited together (remember this is a rebuild of the Chrono versions). SAGA, EPIC, TRILOGY and A NOVEL FOR TELEVISION, all use differing approaches to the opening music, with the fanfare being the common element. There are no less than 9 versions of that fanfare across the 4 CDs of actual score music, rather than re-recordings. Some are played twice, with increased forte, a few are intros to other pieces. Needles to say, some wave analysis ensued to ensure the correct ones were used. Film 2's opening will be appropriately more ominous in tone.

Next, comes the additional shot of Vito in the bed as the boys leave the room and go down the stairs. AMC used this extra Brando shot with emotional music to fade out to the episodes end and segue to a montage of what's in the next episode. The shot is now retained, extending the audio of the boys leaving the room. This is quite nice, since instead of seeing them leave the room and cutting to the stairs, it cuts back to Vito, who clearly is stressed at hearing his boys walk-off to do what they must do without him. Fade to black and logo also removed, as is the music, which does not appear in any other chrono version.

Next, the bizarre (almost identical) alternate take of Connie storming off to the kitchen to break plates. Interestingly, the version of the scene in all other versions includes an overdub after 'vafanculo' which is "leave me alone'....The extended version has both lines. I'm thinking the alternate take may have been shot for TV, but it was not a common practice yet in the 70s. Either way, it is NOT in the theatrical version, so I have retained the alternate take visual (which is a longer shot preceding Connie's appearance in the doorway), but used the audio from the Theatrical version. I'll pop a video up of them for you to compare. You need to be really eagle eyed to spot the visual differences.

While talking over bad overdubbing, is it just me, or has anyone else noticed how awful the English overdubs are in the 1917 material where clearly a lot of the Italian dialogue was dubbed over to reduce the amount of subtitles....It tends to occur in long shots of dark shots. It's awful and always bothered me. If you where headphones, it is especially noticeable....go on, have a look/listen. AHHHHH, maybe if I get an Italian language version..OOO...Quick, is there an Italian track on the Blu Ray or DVD.....

CHECKING (....typing paused)

RATS! French and German...
I have ordered and Italian version:

Il Padrino Parte 2 (Ed. Restaurata) DVD $3 USED​

USED since...I only need the audio.

SO, here is the plan. IF the dialogue in Italian has not been overdubbed by other actors, in Italian, I will be restoring any dialogue that was spoken in Italian by the original actors in question, for their original Italian dialogue that may be lost. I will add the subtitles accordingly. The odds that the original dialogue is intact is low, but I have to know. Since the actors also speak in English, in order to preserve consistency of voice, there is the perverse possibility that the Italian lines, overdubbed by the original actors to English in places, will have been re-overdubbed by voiceover artists dubbing back into Italian...but then again...I may get lucky. For $3, I just HAVE to know....., otherwise if this is a dead end, FILM 1 is locked pending final polish this weekend to the GF Part 1 section and end credits left.

I shall report back on the Italian issue (god the post is slow).

Ho ufficialmente bisogno di cure mediche'

Back
Top Bottom