• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Godfather Chronological Edit: FULL HD Rebuild - MAX LENGTH 10h 5min

Cnemi

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm of the general opinion that if you've got a theatrical version of a scene and an alternate version of a scene (with different shots/angles/takes), you should, whenever possible, use the alternate version, even if the original version "works better". We all already have the theatrical version in the official releases; the fan edits gives us our chance to see the alternate stuff in context. And then between the versions we'll have all the footage in one form or the other. So if the medium shot of Vito's back is in the theatrical version, then you should use the close up of the glass in your edit. That way we can see it both ways.

That said, I'm one of the ones who will be happy to see the return of the original Vegas montage and the opening funeral text.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
An Original Vegas magnum opus already exists … just a PM away.

I just find the text completely redundant… the first 10 mins shows you everthing anyway… but there will be two new MAGNUM OPUS PURIST EDITS made…to address that and a few other things…

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
REQUEST

Does anyone have a conversion of the The Godfather Epic LaserDisc or the infamous 5 Disc Fanfiltration DVD Conversion from the Laserdisc? I'm looking for some missing dialogue I can use in my tweaks which occurs as Sonny walks away after smashing the reporter's camera BEFORE it cuts to the next scene (you hear the next scenes initial dialogue).

THANKS

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ERROR ON GF OPUS 1 v2.08

Hi all

While making the minor tweaks and adding in some missing HD shots to Opus 1 & 2, I stumbled across an issue that has only happened once before to me in over 15 years.

A lower bit rate file with an identical name to a source asset file for Opus 1, had some how linked itself to the project file.

I checked the previous version of the project and the correct assets were linked . Since that was the file I thought that I had used for the master render, I thought all was good.

However, a reviewer today (thank you for flagging this) mentioned pixelation in Opus 1, and it does appear that this lower quality file was used to render version Opus 1 v2.08.

If this is the version you have, I shall be replacing it in the next few days with a new Opus 1 v3.01 which will include the additional tweaks which I will detail once it has been checked and loaded.

Apologies for this odd oversight. I have no clue how it came about but the fix is rendering as I type.

The updated Opus 2 and the new Purist versions will follow with a full breakdown of these tiny tweaks.

Please PM me accordingly.
W

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The following tweaks have been made, with thanks to SonnyGFunk for the observations and suggestions for this.

Don Vito's Opus - Updated v3.01
  • 2:23:25 - The shot of the Corleone Compound at night was missing. HD footage of this does exist and has been added.
  • 2:26:35-2:26:39 - The the full shot of Clemenza and Rocco walking down the driveway, which was in place, led to the audio of the boys playing being noticeably repeated. If you listen to the end of the scene where Rocco is told to kill Paulie, you can hear that the audio plays at the end of that scene, and then again as they walk down the drive. This issue has been resolved while retaining the all the HD shot by re-doing the audio.
  • 3:08:35 - There was a flashframe cut from Vito to the men descending the staircase. This has been resolved.
  • Subtitles re-done when Michael sees the protestors. Some were mispositioned and timing has been improved.
  • End Credits - THANKS caption has been updated.
  • Run time difference, plus 8 secs
MIchael's Opus - Updated v6.01
  • 03:26 - Corrected date, should be 1958 not 1957
  • 1:43:13-1:43:18 - As the hearings opened, I had repurposed some shots to maximise the includion of audio which is not in many versions. This use of shots was NOT an ideal result so per SonnyGFunk's suggestion, the scene starts on the black screen with audio playing from the beginning of the hearing. We do not hear Michael's hushed response of "New York City" due to the audio containing music from the crossfade from the falshback in the source material (The Novel for TV), however, the response of "Would you mind speaking up please" and then Michael's answer of "New York City" is retained. It then fades in to the closeup of Michael as he is asked "are you the son of Vito Corleone". Important to note that Michael's face is now on screen as he is asked the question instead of an out of place repurposed shot that was used previously.
  • 2:20:41 - The shot of Kay's taxi waiting was missing. HD footage of this does exist and has been added.
  • End Credits - THANKS caption has been added using the Opus 1 updated version.
  • Run time difference, plus 12 secs
The analysis of the Venturo Cut did not yield any new material (though there were many differences in structure etc.)

I will detail the changes to the forthcoming "PURISTS" CUTS of Opus 1 & 2, when they are completed which will include the The Opus 1 Version with the original VEGAS transition. None of the tweaks etc. are material to the narrative or edits per se.

Both the UBER and MP4 versions have been replaced.
UBER version will be removed on February 28th, and will not be available again.

PM me accordingly.

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
PURIST VERSIONS

All...

Today I completed the PURIST version of Opus 1
I am now working on Opus 2.

These will be additional versions which remove embelishments and the like and adhere as closely as possible to the EPIC, SAGA and NOVEL for TV versions as possible while also being as complete as possible.

I will list the changes made when they are completed AND loaded.

They will appeal to those that, do not want the New Vegas Transition, additional Date Captions and want the original Title Card at the Funeral etc.

These do not replace my favoured versions, namely:
  • Don Vito's Opus - Updated v3.01
  • Michael's Opus - Updated v6.01
These will carry the following designation and will not be submitted as seperate edits, since the differences are minor and will not impact the run times or structure materially.
  • Don Vito's Opus: PURIST CUT - v D3.01
  • MIchael's Opus: PURIST CUT- v M.6.01

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE

Having started the PURIST revisions, I have decided to incorporate one change to the main Opus 1 Edit. It will be inconvenient for a couple of people who have named v 3.01, but if I do not add this in, it will eat away at me....

What is the change?

When young Vito rows up to Stollo and bludgeons him to death, uniquely in the SAGA version, he strikes him 5 times in the long shot, which lasts longer that in any other version.

SonnyGFunk asked if it would be possible to somehow extend the available HD material so that the shot is the same length.

THIS WAS NOT SO SIMPLE.

Slowing the shot down is a non starter. Looping an element of the shot also proved to be an issue since the boat moves around, Vito moves to a new position on the boat for the final blows AND the waves on the beach change. There is also the issue of the audio, which if looped, is obvious.

After nearly 2 days of refinements, testing, etc, I reached a satisfactory solution so that the shot now is longer and does have the required number of blows.

WHY BOTHER?

Well, I found it jarring that the shot was shorter (as did this viewer) since I recall CLEARLY how that shot represents that Vito is not just a person who killed someone (Fanucci) to support the honorable plight of an old lady...This murder signals that Vito is also open to a revenge killing. Shortening the shot, presumably because it was "unpalatable" or viewed by The Suits as "excessive", diminishes the moment of its power and impact on the viewer and it hammers home the character’s growth.

IN order to disguise the audio loop, a short musical Motif from the end of the Music Cue "remember Youg Vito Andolini" was also added; the cue is VERY specifically chose since it foreshadows Fredo's fate, in almost identical circumstances. To further deliver on this sho, a very minor zoom out was also applied, bith to disguise how the shot was achieved and also to further imply we are now moving away from the charcter we though we had come to know.

That's quite a lot of waffle from me for 3 secs of "new" HD material, but I just could not leave this out given that I believe I pulled it off.

Question....

Should I use this in the Purist version?

Here is the original clip from SAGA.

Here is the NEW HD Version with additional subtitles as well (which I missed previously).
Video link

Both now run for the same time, all other verions in HD being a few sceonds shorter.
A revised version will be loaded under the designation "3.01o" ("o" = "oar").

I hope everyone thinks it was worth it...I do.

I will post the changes to the PURISTS CUTS once they are completed.
NO FURTHER CHANGES TO THE MAGNUM OPUS ARE ANTICIPATED.

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had posted above the clip of the final version without the music and zoom applied.

Here is the final version with the music motif and zoom plus re-timed subtitles.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The key word is "Anticipated"...
:)

The truth is, I did not expect to be able to achieve this cllip, so I went and renderd 3.01....when I pulled it off (to my surprise), the choice was to either leave it out of v3.01 and only include it in the PURIST version or....Go through the render-mare, and update both...

I think most would prefer the most complete version possible. You have no idea how many times I'm asked "is this the longest version?".

So unless more "NEW" HD material emerges from some Salt Mine Vault, I think this is it....

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
REMINDER

Just a quick reminder that Opus 1 & 2 ( Don Vito's Opus and Michael's Opus) UBER sized files will be removed on February 28th.

The new purist Versions (details to follow), will be avaiable in UBER size for just 1 week, and will then be permamnently replaced with the Hi Bit MP4 files thus both Don Vito's Opus and Michael's Opus will thereafter be only in high bit MP4 in both my prefered versions* and purist versions designated as follows.

*15 gb Don Vito's Opus v3.01o
46 GB Don Vito's Opus v3.01o UBER (withdraing Feb 28)
15 gb Don Vito's Opus PURIST v3.01p (forthcoming)
*17 GB Michael's Opus v6.01
52 GB Michael's Opus v6.01 (withdraing Feb 28)
17 GB Michael's Opus PURIST v6.01p (forthcoming)

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
PURIST UPDATES

The Purists are rendered and will load in the next few days. I will post once they are ready.

UBER sized Magnum Opus files will be removed on Feb 28th and for a short period, UBER Sized PURISTS will be available.

These purist edits merely remove some of the superficial changes made, pricipally additional captions and truncate Michael's Opus at the end of what would be GF Part 2.

All other changes and enhancements made for the Magnum Opus (such as additional subtitles, scene relocations, dialogue retorations, new opening title captions, additional HD scenes/shots added back in previously etc) are retained in full.

I only embarked on these in the spirit of remaining authentic to the original material after a number of people noted thatsome enhancements were somewhat jarring so some of these changes have been reveresed while retaining the tweaks above which do not alter the flow etc..

Here are those changes in full for the PURISTS edits only:

OPUS 1
INTERMISSION REMOVED​
CAPTIONS RESTORED​
  • Original Sicily text at the open
CAPTIONS REMOVED (added to Magnum Opus) as follows​
  • 02:56 - Corleone, Sicily, 1901
  • 03:31 - The Funeral of Antonio Andolini
  • 1:22:07 - Corleone Compound, Long Island, New York, 1945
OTHER CHANGES​
Restored original Vegas Transtion, removing replacement material​

OPUS 2
Restored original music to opening shot of Michael on pier​
Restored original shot of Communion with new transition with full audio​
CAPTIONS​
  • Removed "His Grandson" from opening shot of Communion retain "Lake Tahoe, Nevada " caption
  • Removed 03:26 (PT2) Lake Tahoe, Nevada (Added for Magnum Opus)
  • Removed 03:57 (PT2) The day of Anthony Vito Corleone's first holy communion (Added for Magnum Opus

• OTHER CHANGES
  • Removed "in memoriam" montage but retained Kay lighting the candle
NOTES:
This means that there are now a number of ways to view the chronological edits.​
MAGUM OPUS / OTHER VIEWING OPTIONS:​
  • Watch Don Vito's Opus & Michael's Opus in full, with an intermission in each at about 2.5 hrs
  • Watch the PURIST versions, which end at the end of The Godfather Part 2 (for those that care not for Part 3)
  • Watch the PURIST versions, which end at the end of The Godfather Part 2 and then The Godfather La Fine
or​
  • Watch the Theatrical (which you ALL of course own already) or Extended Theatricals (Hal_over_9000) versions, and then The Godfather La Fine
NOT LOCATED YET
If anyone has the audio, even from VHS, of the first part of Nazorine's dialogue plays as Sonny walks back to the wedding after smashing the jounalists camera....please PM me. THANKS

"...a fine boy from Sicily, captured by the American Army, and sent to New Jersey as a prisoner of war..."

This is just V. O material, no new scene but the dialogue plays as they walk back, while the film continues normally, This can easil be overlaid and would make the edit the first to feature it in HD, (besides the SD saga).

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OPEN QUESTION

Noting the changes above to Michael's Opus (and some people suggesting removing Part 3), I have have decided that it's removal would detract from the overall objective. Since there is an Intermission at the point GF Part2 ends, GF 3 detractors can just stop there if they wish.

As such, I shall render MIchael's Opus with the La Fine material incorporated BUT retain the removal of the "in-memoriam" sequence from the end credit roll.

I think like this both camps and the overall objective is satisfied namely, a complete telling in two epics.

ANY VIEWS?

Last edited:

Frikken12

Reaction score
Trophy Points
OPEN QUESTION

Noting the changes above to Michael's Opus (and some people suggesting removing Part 3), I have have decided that it's removal would detract from the overall objective. Since there is an Intermission at the point GF Part2 ends, GF detractors can just stop there if they wish.

As such, I shall render MIchael's Opus with the La Fine material incorporated BUT retain the removal of the "in-memoriam" sequence from the end credit roll.

I think like this both camps and the overall objective is satisfied namely, a complete telling in two epics.

ANY VIEWS?
Fantastic!

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DARTH KERMIT was right!

You won't believe this, but SonnyGFunk has found that missing dialogue to The Godfather which occurs in the parking lot after Sonny smashes the reporter's camera and Narzione's V.O. cuts in early.!!!!!!!!!!!

It is in pretty good condition with some hiss, since it is from 1980 VHS telecast re-run of the 1977 broadcast on NBC from a VHS source, but since the visuals are the same, I think I can make it work....with some filtering etc...Initial tests are very good indeed considering the many issues that need to be resolved, including that the music cue differes in both versions.

Downside is v3.02o is coming, but no one can't predict a find like this.
Upside, this now contains multiple pieces of recovered dialogue not available in HD anywhere...nearly 3 minutes worth across the 3 movies.

I will post the discovered material, and the fixed scene in HD later today explaining what I have done to it to make it all work.

This is another great piece of the missing puzzle so a MASSIVE thanks to SonnyGFunk for his persistance in lacating a copy of this material which he originally flagged as existing ni the first place. I must say, I was becoming sceptical after myself and the other member have scoured every available source...I even dug out my VHS tapes from my own telecast recordings, The Epic, Trilogy and Saga Tapes...none had this audio at all. Someone he knows, had recorded it way back in 1980, and STILL had the tapes...

YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP!

Clips to follow.

Frikken12

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DARTH KERMIT was right!

You won't believe this, but SonnyGFunk has found that missing dialogue to The Godfather which occurs in the parking lot after Sonny smashes the reporter's camera and Narzione's V.O. cuts in early.!!!!!!!!!!!

It is in pretty good condition with some hiss, since it is from 1980 VHS telecast re-run of the 1977 broadcast on NBC from a VHS source, but since the visuals are the same, I think I can make it work....with some filtering etc...Initial tests are very good indeed considering the many issues that need to be resolved, including that the music cue differes in both versions.

Downside is v3.02o is coming, but no one can't predict a find like this.
Upside, this now contains multiple pieces of recovered dialogue not available in HD anywhere...nearly 3 minutes worth across the 3 movies.

I will post the discovered material, and the fixed scene in HD later today explaining what I have done to it to make it all work.

This is another great piece of the missing puzzle so a MASSIVE thanks to SonnyGFunk for his persistance in lacating a copy of this material which he originally flagged as existing ni the first place. I must say, I was becoming sceptical after myself and the other member have scoured every available source...I even dug out my VHS tapes from my own telecast recordings, The Epic, Trilogy and Saga Tapes...none had this audio at all. Someone he knows, had recorded it way back in 1980, and STILL had the tapes...

YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP!

Clips to follow.
Wow! Guess I’ll be keeping my MEGA subscription a bit longer then! is there anything else missing that us supporters can help look for? Would be glad to

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nothing that I am aware off, and SonnyGFunk seems to have some kind of photographic recall. His comments on so many little tweaks are astonishing. So unless the missing 1930s material of Vito building his empire and Michael's shootout at the pizzeria turn up for the 100th anniversay, this really ought to be the last pass.

I will then revise Hal_over_9000's Extended versions to insert of all the finds and corrections made so that they can be as up to date as EXTENDED versions in non-chronological order as possible. This will include new stabilised opening credit rolls for both to elimiante registration erro, but there will be no embelishments. Additional subtitles I added and new foound De Niro Italian dialogue, the restored Michael Bedtime scene etc, the missing Taxi shot, longer lake shot etc, will all be ported acorss. The Vegas transition will be the threatrical version.

That's it unless anyone out there knows otherwise.

Last edited:

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So the HAL versions will have all of the extra material, be in the best possible quality, and maintain the structure of the original films? If so, that’s what I’m after.

For movies that I’ve seen at least 30x each, I’m looking forward to this new experience.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ADDITIONAL "FINAL" FINDS RESTORED
SO...Here we go....the full lowdown.

If you listen carefully to the VHS version and the Magnum opus, you will notice quite a few issues with this.

The music cue from the VHS is different in its timing. There is a music phrase that for the theatrical etc was extended twice, listen casrefully. It obviously was extended so that the jovial portion of the music comes in 2 bars later. That places the music OUT OF SYNC with the images if you align the music as the guide point. If the music is not alingened, although you can cross fade between the two it is VERY strange....and lots of testing was done.

You will notice in the theatrical/Magnum Opus versions that just as Sonny smashes the camera, there is a small increase in volume in the music for a couple of seconds. This does NOT happen in the VHS. It is obviously where the music cue crossfade extention occurs and that was applied to extended that music cue phrase. I have also corrected that so that the audio spike is removed.

I then isolated the VHS audio and applied a 10db boost, then removed the 60hz ground loop hum. I then sampled a silent section of the VHS before the commercial break, and subtracted that from the audio; that sample will contain the precise hiss signature of that VHS machine AND and low level additional ground loop hum. Finally, a minor re-mastering filter was applied for "widening and depth" to lift some of the top frequencies and give a more consistent ambience.

The new dialogue exceeds the available HD material by a few seconds, so by syncing the music 4 bars earlier before the repeated cue, I only needed to find an extra 2 seconds of material visually. At one point I created a new exterior panning shot, but (although completed) was not true to the SAGA edit that this was sourced from. Long story short, the shot extenstion was alo achieved allowing the full dialogue to play.

If I had a 5:1 seperation on the new dialogue, I could isolate and tigten it up to fit, but since we do not have that, I looked also at speeding it up (preserving pitch), but I tested that, and even correcting the pitch, it sounds rushed and the music tempo picks up awkwardly......LOL....sounded screwed up...

So here is the final result and comparisons (for maybe less than 30 days due to YouTube BS).

VHS: Here is the original 1980 re-run telecast from 1980.

Here is the same material from the Magnum Opus with the VOLUME SPIKE, that is also corrected

Here is the abandoned version with the insert shot repurposing a previous shot, flipped and zoomed (vol spike remains)

Here is the newly restored shot FINAL VERSION

A final recovered portion of audio comes from after Michael tells Kay, "that's not me thats my family"...after the music stops, a man stands a shouts "Cent Anni". This is only heard on the SAGA version and Original Novel for TV and nNOT on the AMC and HBO versions NOR any Theatrical versions.

Further, there is a shot from the AMC version in HD of Michael turning to see what the commotion is during the recap at the start of Episode 2. This has also been restored and appears here for the first time, again in HD.

All these microscopic observations are courtesy of SonnyGFunk.

This has also been restored and will be in Don Vito's Opus 3.02o AND the Purist Cut.

Here is the completed sequence with all the components in place and sound work completed.

Replacement UBER FILES for the Magnum Opus will be loaded for one week.
Then the Purists, for one week.

Thereafter, HiBit MP4s will remain per usual.

As a consequence of this, my newest submission "UNBREAKABLE GLASS SPLIT" is delayed by a week, but this feels too important to not do or to abandon it as done.

W

Top Bottom