• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Having trouble with putting my fan edit on dvd

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, I made a fan edit using Womble Video Wizard DVD. The finished movie is 4.97 gig, so I couldn't put it on a disc. First I tried exporting it, but this left me with 7 VOB files. Again, too large. I then used DVD Shrink 3.2 and brought it down to 5. It's the proper size now. I tried making the dvd with Womble again, but the video and sound was all messed up. I tried it on another dvd player and it didn't show anything past the menu screen. It doesn't need to re-encode because the Video and Audio lines at the bottom are completely blue (Stream).

Basically, everything is done at this point, I just need a program to put it on dvd. I REALLY don't wanna use Nero 7 because when I tried making dvds with it in the past, it either didn't work, or the picture was very "box-y" and it "glitched" every few seconds. I have Windows Movie Maker but obviously I don't want to use that.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The obvious answer in this scenario was that you could have put the DVD on a dual layer disk. Compressing the film will see a reduction in quality.

Anyhoo - some of what you're saying doesn't seem to make sense. If you started at 4.97gb, exporting from Womble isn't going to make that smaller as Womble doesn't compress. I assume you've made a menu with Womble as well? The amount of VOB files you have as well is not an indicator of size.

If what you have done is created an edit with a menu in Womble and exported it. Shrink it in DVD Shrink and then use IMGBurn to put it on disk.

Personally I would not use Womble to make the menu.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DVD Shrink isn't very good either.
How long is the movie?

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The movie is just under 2 hours. 1:59:33. I'll try IMGburn. And white, you're definitely right about NOT using Womble for the menu. I recently tried to put "Superman Redeemed" on dvd with it, and I decided to put a song on the menu. When I played the movie, the song in the menu kept playing. This made the audio for the movie out of synch by a good 2 minutes, or however long the song was.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
zeppelinrox said:
DVD Shrink isn't very good either.
How long is the movie?

I've never had any problems with it, albeit it being very slow. Nowadays, if I do shrink a DVD, I use CloneDVD2.

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm sorry guys. This is all new to me. I used IMGburn and all it did was put the movie into a rar file that says .iso. There's also an mds file.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tylerdurden389 said:
I'm sorry guys. This is all new to me. I used IMGburn and all it did was put the movie into a rar file that says .iso. There's also an mds file.

IMGBurn has created an image file for you.

Re-open IMGBurn, select option write image to disk. Then, where it says 'Please select a file', click the folder with the magnifying glass and select the ISO file you created. Then click on the big button at the bottom. Disk should now burn.

I think I know what might have happened. You selected option to 'write files/folder to disk' yes? Selected your folder and clicked the large button and it created an image file - the option to what it outputs to it wrong. Just above the big button is a small button that has a green arrow pointing to a disk. Click this. The big button will change, the disk icon will no longer have a 'page' around it.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
white43 said:
I've never had any problems with it, albeit it being very slow. Nowadays, if I do shrink a DVD, I use CloneDVD2.
Those are both transcoders aren't they?
As far as I know, the quality after shrinking would be better if you were to use a good re-encoding method rather than a transcoder.

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Before I do any of that I need to address something. These VOB files I have also has the menu that I created when I exported it with Womble. Remember earlier when I said the sound of the dvd would play, but the image would still be the menu? Well this time I tried it twice with DVDDecrypter. First time, still the menu image. Second time I tried it without the menu VOB file, and I get no picture at all. Just the audio.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe you should start at the beginning as this seems confusing to me.

What, exactly do you have now?
Or are you simply starting over from the beginning?

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
No need. I got it to work. I simpy re-exported with Womble WITHOUT adding music to the menu. Then I used DVDshrink. Then I wrote the disc with IMGburn. Came out perfect. Thanks everyone!!!

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
zeppelinrox said:
white43 said:
Those are both transcoders aren't they?
As far as I know, the quality after shrinking would be better if you were to use a good re-encoding method rather than a transcoder.

Yea, but I don't care that much. :p

nyl

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry if this is out of line, but if your final files are just a bit too large, you need to either author as a dual layer DL or perhaps use a transcoding or reecoding (like CSS) to shrink them. Yes, Authoring them to DVDshrink (auto>4.3? whatever) is not ideal, it beats the hell out of frameserving them to CSS unless your ultimate outcome is abosolute quality. (total fanedit neeob, so next post down is prob right, just from my own authoring experience)
this assumes that you are near single layer size for your final release (as your post suggests)

please be gentle

edit: i need to read page 2. anyways, glad you git it! By absolute quality i meant a 4.7 gb disk....)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
there is no excuse for using DVDshrink
Some of my DVDs just need someone to talk to. :p

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DVD shrink is an awful way to reduce a DVD9 to DVD5. Either release it as a DVD9, or send it to someone who has a decent encoder like CCE/DVDRebuilder.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow. Resurrecting a thread almost a year old. Nice. :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol. I don't want to harp on the point, but there really is no reason why such a poor quality program like DVD-Shrink should be used to fit a DVD9 to DVD5. Even if you don't have CCE, you can still get great results using DVD Rebuilder with HC Encoder (a nice freeware encoder).

AND shrinking a disc should only be attempted if it is marginally close to DVD5 size (i.e., somewhere in the 5-6ish GB range). If the DVD9 is full, it will probably look like crap on a single layer disc.

ReddinoX

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have the same problem. My mpg is 11.654.604.800 Bytes (4h 14m), and doesnt fit in a DVD9. How i do it? i tryed with FAVC, that uses HC Encoder, but the quality is bad...
I suppose that use a double dvd9 will be too much to download...

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why not use 2 DVD5's?

Top Bottom