• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Have you switched to a flat screen already?

What kind of TV do you have?

• Tv is the devil - I don't have one.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm color blind - I have a black and White TV.

• I'm an old fashioned guy - I have an old kind of TV.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I have a one room flat and a <=26" flat screen.

• I go with the flow and have a 27"-36" flat screen.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I'm a gadget freak and I have a huge >37" flat screen.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I'm a movie addict and I have a video projector.

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
The wife and I haven't discussed a specific budget. I'd say we can go more than that $220 model, but with other expenses I really want to keep it under $1000.

I'm also not committed to a size. Bigger than 24" though - thats really the primary reason we are considering the upgrade. I currently have a 19" CRT.

I guess I'm looking for a good compromise of size, quality, & cost

i've been really impressed with the samsung LCD 650 series. buddy got the A650 and they are on the C650 now. my HDTV CRT is still rockin so no need to upgrade (and they keep getting better!)

specifically the LN46C650 seems like the best deal/size/cost

TV_LCD_series_all.jpg

No flatscreen for me. I'm old fashioned at the moment. Still ahve that 55 cm big screen. Even no surround sound for me.

joebshmoe said:
i've been really impressed with the samsung LCD 650 series. buddy got the A650 and they are on the C650 now. my HDTV CRT is still rockin so no need to upgrade (and they keep getting better!)

TV_LCD_series_all.jpg

I have the 650B (2009) and damn I love it.

IMO samsungs are a great bet, looked better than anything on the showroom floor (in a comparable price range) and came highly recommended over on avsforum.

here is the exact TV I have http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40B...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278706491&sr=8-5

I have a 30" CRT Samsung Monster Tank (i.e. TV) that I love except for the fact that it weight 8,000 lbs. But I also have a 22" Samsung LCD that is also great. No complaints here.

Well, so far it seems like Samsung is the recommended brand. I don't think the Mrs. will be happy to get a $1000 model. Thanks for the comments guys, keep 'em coming!!!

I recommend a projector setup.

1. No tuner card, so no TV licence fees payable (IF you don't want to watch TV/satellite etc. I just watch movies and web - filters a lot of crap, and saves a lot of time!)

2. You can put your "TV" slap bang in front of a window. Our lounge is arranged around our view of the lake - when we want to watch movies we just pull down the screen over the window. No rearrangement required.

3. The screen is HUGE! It's a real home cinema.

Negatives are the noise from the fan - but that's barely audible over the movies. And light control - we have blinds on all the windows which we pull down. Here in Norway the sun is still bright around 10, 11 at night, so pretty essential!

I have the Optoma ThemeScene 720p DLP. Not full HD, but a really good projector for the money, and great picture quality.

Thanks for the suggestion dangarratt. I don't think I'll go with a projector right now though. We have a pretty small house, and little wall space to use. I don't think we could logistically do it.

honestly, i'd get whatever samsung LCD TV that falls in your budget. the 600 series is the sweet spot, particularly the 630/650

5x0 = no 24fps support or usb, ethernet, etc. although some models may... i've not considered this series much, considered "basic"...
630 = matte screen, 24fps support (bluray)
650 (red)/670 (best buy model, grey) = glossy screen, 24fps support (bluray)

LN (LCD)
46 (size)
C (year, C is newest, A is oldest)
650 (series)

LN40C650 = ~$850
LN46C650 = ~$1000

newegg

elbarto1 said:
joebshmoe said:

TV_LCD_series_all.jpg

I have the 650B (2009) and damn I love it.

IMO samsungs are a great bet, looked better than anything on the showroom floor (in a comparable price range) and came highly recommended over on avsforum.

here is the exact TV I have http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40B...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278706491&sr=8-5

are you a fan of the 120hz motion? my friend loves it, but it is too creepy for me. he puts it on full and it i can see all the generated frames and they look "ghosty" to me

note: throw, this is easily disabled :) he had the A650 ~50" and it was amazing.

Isn't 120 HZ meant for fast action stuff like sports? Is that what you are watching on full?

ThrowgnCpr said:
Thanks for the suggestion dangarratt. I don't think I'll go with a projector right now though. We have a pretty small house, and little wall space to use. I don't think we could logistically do it.

Yes, you do need a bit of space. But I sit about 3m away from the screen, which is a normal size room. Then again, I didn't get the biggest screen moeny could buy - it's "only" 180cm long (can't remember the diagonal measurement!)

TV's Frink said:
Isn't 120 HZ meant for fast action stuff like sports? Is that what you are watching on full?

well... the TV actually outputs 120HZ all the time... but you can switch from duplicate frames depending on source (5 for 24fps or 4 for 30fps) to "auto motion plus" which will generate interim frames depending on your configuration. sometimes those generated frames look "ghosty" to me (similar to NTSC interlaced ghosting) and my eye gets really overwhelmed with lots of junk in the image. he doesn't see that, to him it just looks "super realistic". he keeps it on all the time.

Another vote for Samsung panels here. I have a 24" Full HD monitor (P2450) and I got my Mum a 32" LCD TV (cant remember the model offhand) but both screens give an absolutely amazing picture with really good blacks.

The TV was £360 so if your budget is $1000 you should be able to get something real nice and have some beer money left over.

I dont use any of the "120hz auto motion plus" additions as they look very wonky to me.
the tv itself auto defaults to the source frequency which most of the time is 60hz.
bluray looks obscenely awesome and most broadcast hd looks good.
dvds look nice over upscaled oppo and games look fantastic.

its very cool that you can individually tweak each input to a desired setting and leave it so you can have multiple components calibrated for optimal settings w/o having to adjust repeatedly

Thanks guys! We are right now strongly considering the Samsung 630 and 650 (40"). One of the other differences I see between the two series is the "Samsung Apps" available in the 650 and not the 630. You guys know much about that?

lol, nOm, I wouldn't say my budget is $1000. I'd certainly like to spend a little less, but the Mrs. and I decided we wouldn't break the bank with this purchase. :)

Thanks for all the comments guys. We went with the Samsung 630 - 40" :) Checked it out in a shop today. Looked great compared to other brands/makes on the floor. should be here next week. yay!

awesome throw. prepare to be blown away rewatching all your favorite films in hd/upscaled sd. its really something coming from a standard tv. i remember just watching in awe when i first got an HDTV.

and the samsung apps...pretty useless. nothing there for me anyway, used the weather widget like 2 times.

:) well after about a decade with our 19" CRT, I'm sure it is going to seem ridiculous. Yeah, we figured the apps weren't worth the money. One of the reasons we went with the 630 model.

You have a "B" right? Does your have the built in media player? This one is a "C" and it looks like it can play about any media through USB, including MKV, AVI, TS, etc, etc. pretty rad.

Back
Top Bottom