• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Have you switched to a flat screen already?

What kind of TV do you have?

• Tv is the devil - I don't have one.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm color blind - I have a black and White TV.

• I'm an old fashioned guy - I have an old kind of TV.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I have a one room flat and a <=26" flat screen.

• I go with the flow and have a 27"-36" flat screen.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I'm a gadget freak and I have a huge >37" flat screen.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I'm a movie addict and I have a video projector.

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

Simba7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All around me people are buying flat screen TV, so I wondered am I the last one to still own an old fashioned TV.

nope, not the last one. I too still just have an old fashioned TV, but it's big and it has a great picture. There was no reason yet to buy a new one.

I am with you guys. I dont have the need for a huge TV, and my tele works quite nice. I only use it to watch DVDs on anyway. I will stick with it as long as it still functions

same here. oldfashioned tv. even oldfashioned screen. but if i might add only for money reasons (e.g. not having it).

look at our avatars... aren?t we some groovy beefcakes?

I use my laptop for watching films, so strictly speaking I switched to a flatscreen a loooooooong time ago.

you are all just copycats... and suddenly I feel so common ;-)

You know what, people are being duped by all this flatscreen hype. Most of the flat screen, high def tvs that they are selling right now are CRAP. Sure the specs look nice, and it says HD right there on the box. But step up, open your eyes, and take a look at the picture. It's junk. Dots swarming all over the place, gigantic (albeit HD) pixels blurring all over the screen, and the blacks....omg look at that digital mist crawling all over my nice flat screen!

I have a 27 inch CRT that looks better than 90% of the shit they're selling in electronics stores. And I have a $799 projector that looks a BILLION times better than any f#@king flat screen/hd/plasma/whatever tv for under $7000 on the market.

Wait a few years, they'll get it right. But you're wasting your money at this point. We're at HD 1.0 when it comes to TVs. If you have the space, I highly recommend a projector. Look at Optoma's line of LCD projectors. The picture is STUNNING, even on the 720p models. Pair it with an upconverting DVD player or Blu Ray, and you're in cinematic heaven. I haven't gotten around to even buying a screen yet, and I'm projecting on a shitty, white wall. It STILL looks better. AAAHHHHH!

Sorry about that rant, I just can't believe the TVs that people are spending thousands of dollars on, because they're flat and say HD on the box.

I was gonna take the poll but there's no option for me. I'm not an old fashion kind of guy, I'm just poor. Glad I didn't buy one though, in light of recent events I'd just have to sell it anyway. Of course if I had, I could probably have traded it for the motorcycle I want.

i have a CRT HDTV (1080i/720p/480ip)

it is uber huge and weighs about 200 lbs.

46" LCD, and I'm happy with it. It's only 720p and I got it at a nifty discount. And I sure as hell can't tell the difference between the levels of high def.

Bought it a year ago. Had I known that we'd be moving into a house with a really big basement (as of the end of this month), I might've held off to get a projector. I keep hearing good things about them (albeit a few bad things about bulb replacement and "breathing noise".)

stomachworm said:
I'm not an old fashion kind of guy, I'm just poor.

i wouldn?t say i?m poor i jsut can?t afford one of these big babies at the moment. :-(

so fuck these big soddin baddies! who needs them anyway?

but seriously: my friend has this 127 cm mega 5000 euro monster thing and i have to supress an erection if i stare on it too long! it has nearly twice the resolution my computer screen is able to handle! if there would be one tv to be voted president of the world that would be the one!

I have a 32" LCD HDTV (480p/720p/1080i) in my living room with a DVD player with HDMI upconversion.... it's AWESOME. :smile:

I still use my huge 40" SD rear projection widescreen set from 7 years ago. Still looks great with DVDs. It literally weighs a ton and you need three people to carry it !!

LeoneNut said:
I still use my huge 40" SD rear projection widescreen set from 7 years ago. Still looks great with DVDs. It literally weighs a ton and you need three people to carry it !!

I use to have one of those you are right they do weight a ton...i changed to a LCD tv now.

I checked the prices of used TV's and it looks like you can now get, at least in Finland, a really good used wide screen 100Hz TV for about 200e. So I think I'll change my Good old 28" 4:3 TV to a used 32" 16:9 TV.

reave said:
You know what, people are being duped by all this flatscreen hype. Most of the flat screen, high def tvs that they are selling right now are CRAP. Sure the specs look nice, and it says HD right there on the box. But step up, open your eyes, and take a look at the picture. It's junk. Dots swarming all over the place, gigantic (albeit HD) pixels blurring all over the screen, and the blacks....omg look at that digital mist crawling all over my nice flat screen!
etc.

I couldn't agree with you more.

My employment is fitting tv ariels, satellite dishes, the cable that runs between them and the tv, amplifiers, those little boxes on the wall and sometime, fixing tv's to the walls of customers living rooms. So, I've seen alot of tv's in my time and NOTHING is gonna convince me to get rid of this 27" monster:

Photo-0015.jpg

After I've finished putting someones brand new flat screen on their wall and we're all standing round admiring it, I just think "what a piece of crap". And what's worse is they get huge ones for small rooms and they look even more awful.

The customer is NOT always right. :)

2 years later...

I'm thinking of upgrading to a flatscreen really soon. Wondering about any recommendations, things to stay away from, etc.

ThrowgnCpr said:
2 years later...

I'm thinking of upgrading to a flatscreen really soon. Wondering about any recommendations, things to stay away from, etc.

What's your budget? What size do you want? I just picked up the ASUS VW246H for $220 on Amazon. It's a 24" LCD monitor. It has some really good reviews, and was recommended to me by a friend I trust 100%. I should be getting it tomorrow so I can give you my opinion then.

Wait a minute... are we talking computer monitor or television?

Back
Top Bottom