• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Harry Potter Extended Editions

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I originally posted this thread a couple of weeks ago under my real name. I am posting now under my new fanedit name.

For a long time, I have wanted to create a set of extended editions to the HP films since it does not look like they will ever be released. With the last HP marathon on FreeForm, I recorded all of the films so I would have reference material for the edits that I was going to do. I have started on this project and am in the final stages at this point. I am not ready to release final versions, but I wanted to see what interest there was in a set like this. My intent is to create a set closely mimicking the FreeForm extended editions, but not matching them.

Below are the edits that I have made to each film thus far. While these are my first fan edits for a film, I have had video editing experience in the past. I am using Final Cut Pro X as my editor and Adobe Audition for sound editing. The final versions of the films will likely just have stereo audio, mainly due to me only have stereo for my playback and some of the deleted scenes being produced only in stereo instead of 5.1. Material for the edits are Blu-Ray rips of the films including the deleted scenes as well as the soundtrack audio files.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Extended Edition:

• All deleted scenes have been added in + 1 new scene created
  • Added spinning Knight Bus scene with blue screen removed and spinning background added
  • Added extended bird scene
  • Added Sir Cadogan portrait scene
  • Added a new Sirius Black attack scene so the Common Room deleted scene would make sense when added. This scene is a simple shot of Ron in bed with Black's wanted poster spinning and getting closer with voices in the background ("We have a killer on the loose", "He's a murderer", etc.), ending with Ron screaming.
  • Added Common Room scene following Black's attack

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Extended Edition:

• All deleted scenes have been added
  • Added scene where Harry tries to ask Cho to the Yule Ball
  • Added scene showing Durmstrang student asking Hogwarts student to the Ball as Ron and Harry look on
  • Music modified so work with the above 2 scenes
  • Full version of "Can You Dance Like a Hippogriff" added. Scenes with Harry, Ron and their dates watching Hermione and Krum altered to fit with the longer song.
  • Karkaroff/Snape scene outside of the Yule Ball
  • Crouch/Mad Eye extended scene added after 2nd task
  • Added Common Room scene after the death of Crouch
  • Added the scene where Harry, Ron and Hermione are wondering what is on Snape's arm and Harry's scar hurting.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Extended Edition:

• Most deleted scenes have been added except for Trelawny's eating scene while Umbridge speaks
  • Added scene of Neville saying they had stopped taking the Daily Prophet
  • Added extended Common Room scene showing activity (modified music so the clip doesn't sound so empty)
  • Recut the Umbridge as High Inquisitor scene to remove the Trelawny clips. Music modified.
  • Added in the full scene of Umbridge evaluating Trelawny in class.
  • Added scene of Slytherin boys hazing another student as Umbridge/Filch watch.
  • Added clip of Filch trying to blow out Umbridge's hair after the Weasley fireworks in the Great Hall
  • Added scene of Umbridge, Harry and Hermione in the Forbidden Forest
  • Added scene of Ron trying to get Harry to go to the feast after the death of Sirius
  • Added scene of Harry going to Dumbledore's office
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Extended Edition:

• Added in extended Harry/Hermione scene in the hallway before walking up to Ron/Lavender.
  • Added Harry/Hermione scene in the Common Room where Harry thinks Draco is leaving the castle after disappearing from the map
  • Added Harry/Ron/Hermione scene discussing the vanishing cabinets before Harry meets Dumbledore.
  • Added Harry/Dumbledore scene in the cave where Dumbledore mentions the 2 kids that Riddle brought to the cave.
  • Added scene as Harry/Dumbledore leave the cave.
  • Added choir scene leading up to the confrontation in the tower. Some clips were altered/reordered to make the scene flow better.
  • Added scene of Harry in his bedroom, then coming downstairs to the Common Room after Dumbledore's death.
  • Added extended scene at the end of the movie with Harry/Ron/Hermione.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 1 Extended Edition:

• Added extended intro leading up to the title screen similar to ABC Family/Freeform version. Included added Harry/Marge scene and Ron/Arthur radio scene. Added additional scene with Dudley and Harry shaking hands before the Dursleys leave.
  • Added extended elevator scene at the Ministry with Ron/Harry/Arthur
  • Added scene in the woods after Ron is injured where Ron indicates saying Voldemort's name is taboo.
  • Added Ron/Hermione rock throwing scene.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 2 Extended Edition:

• Added Shell Cottage scene where Bill tells the trio to live up to any bargain they have made with the goblin
  • Added Luna/Harry scene at Dobby's grave
  • Added Harry/Ginny scene marching with the rest of the Gryffindors to see Snape
  • Added Lupin/Tonks scene at the start of the war
  • Added Slytherin dungeon scene

If there is interest, I will release these to the public.

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Custom intros have been added to all films. This is an example from Philosopher's Stone. Password: JJPotter

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think you missed the scene with Karkaroff and Snape in Goblet of Fire.

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You are correct. That scene was added, but is not in my list. Good catch. I have added that to the list.

HarryKnuckles

Reaction score
Trophy Points
JJPotter said:
Custom intros have been added to all films. This is an example from Philosopher's Stone. Password: JJPotter

Really cool intro. I understand your reasoning for keeping it at Stereo. You could try to re-mix the deleted scenes but that would inevitably sound uneven.

Looking forward to the final product!

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting. Looks quite promising.

That intro is pretty sick by the way.

JJPotter said:
Included added Harry/Marge scene 

Do you mean Petunia?

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
Do you mean Petunia?

Yes I do. Sometimes when I get to typing, my brain and fingers don't always work together :p.  I was watching Prisoner of Azkaban as I was typing, so I must have gotten Marge from there.

My hope is down the road as I learn most about 5.1 mixing that I can put together versions in this format. But my initial goal is to get full extended versions in stereo. I can see this as a project that I work on for a while, making tweaks here and there. What I don't want to happen is to pull a "Lucas" and never be happy with my releases. They are almost to a point where I can say I am pleased with them and enjoyable to watch.

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I believe that I am a point where I've tweaked as much as I want on these. Since I am a new faneditor, I have submitted Prisoner of Azkaban Extended Edition to the Academy for review. I'm excited to release these to everyone that has been looking forward to having extended editions of these films like are available on FreeForm (ABC Family) all the time, only in high definition and without commercials (and in some cases, with scenes that even the network didn't add back in).

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While I wait for the Academy to review my first fanedit, I will post some clips from the edits I've made. I will start with posting each of the intro videos I've created. I did create custom cuts for Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, but these will not be released since official extended versions are available.

vimeo.com/237340756[/video]

vimeo.com/237340785[/video]

vimeo.com/237340793[/video]

vimeo.com/237340801[/video]

vimeo.com/237340806[/video]

vimeo.com/237340813[/video]

vimeo.com/237340815[/video]

vimeo.com/237340823[/video]

vimeo.com/237340832[/video]

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent work, JJ! Your EE is extremely high quality, and your intros pretty. A gift for Potter fans.

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here are some clips from my Prisoner of Azkaban edit. There is one edit that I'm not showing a clip of here, which is the extended bird scene near the beginning of the film. That scene was put in, but I am not including it here.

The password for these videos is JJPotter.

Scene 1: Knight Bus scene - There is a deleted scene of the Knight Bus spinning right before they reach the Leaky Cauldron. It required doing some blue screen work as well as removing the cables that were holding Harry up horizontally.

vimeo.com/237478990[/video]

Scene 2: After Hogsmeade - There is a scene after the trip to Hogsmeade where Ron and Hermione are telling Harry about the trip. At the end of the scene, Harry eats a piece of candy that is supposed to do something, but was never finished. I have made Harry's face turn red/pink after eating the candy.

vimeo.com/237479073[/video]

Scene 3: Sirius Black Attack - I have created a scene using a still of Ron sleeping and the Daily Prophet showing Sirius on the front with sound bites underneath. This allows for the addition of the Common Room scene following Black's attack. I know there is a YouTube video out that shows how someone else did this insertion, but I didn't like the idea of using a lot of shots that are also used later on. I wanted to do something different for this created scene and I'm pleased with how it appears in the film.

vimeo.com/237479587[/video]

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Those are fantastic! Doesn't look out of place at all. Harry's face is a little too pink but I think that's fine. By the way, at the Sirius Black deleted scene, at 0:59 the portrait Sir Cadiggan wrecks there is two more paintings but instead they are solid blue. Are you going to fix that?

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am aware of those paintings, but I have not found anything that looks natural to put in the place of those frames. I'm not giving up on those, but for now they will remain blue.

Edit: [font=Raleway, sans-serif]After looking at that scene again, I have an idea about the frames. I may do like the Great Hall ceiling and have the pictures show what the weather is like outside. Or in this case, a continuation of the sky/clouds that are in the window in the portrait. I'll have to go frame by frame through it to get the blue areas cleaned up, but I think it will work.[/font]

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After looking at that scene again, I have an idea about the frames. I may do like the Great Hall ceiling and have the pictures show what the weather is like outside. Or in this case, a continuation of the sky/clouds that are in the window in the portrait. I'll have to go frame by frame through it to get the blue areas cleaned up, but I think it will work.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The first video of the bus looked good.
The second video looked good as well, but I noticed that Harry's hair turned pink off and on by his ears.
The final Sirius video didn't work for me.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SO excited for these edits @"JJPotter"!  I'm thinking of buying a blu ray case that holds multiple discs and making my own complete Harry Potter Extended Editions box set.  Saves space on the shelf and has everything in one neat package.  Hopefully someone can come up with artwork.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey JJPotter, I'm Motley, I joined the forums two weeks ago, and about your extended edits of the Harry Potter film franchise...

First of all, I wanna say I appreciate your intention of restoring the deleted scenes in HP 3-8. There are just some things I wanna point out.

1. Do you plan on color correcting these scenes?
2. I couldn't help but notice a couple of these scenes are missing in the lists.
3. When will these edits be finished?

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
  1. Yes, the scenes are color corrected to match the main film they are going into. There is no way I would just drop a scene in without making sure it was a smooth visual look with the rest of the film. These were initially edited for my enjoyment and having scenes not match would not be appealing to me.
  2. Yes, there are some scenes missing from the first list. This was not intentional. The only 2 scenes that I did not put back into the films were both in Deathly Hallows Part 2. The bridge scene with green screen and the scene with Aberforth were not added back. The green screen scene, in my opinion, was not worth adding back in for the amount of work that would have been required. The Aberforth scene looked to be an alternate scene to what was in the movie. Since some of the dialogue was the same and there was not a good way of inserting it, it was omitted. In Deathly Hallows Part 1, I used a portion of the Dudley/Harry scene at the beginning, but not the entire scene. Everything else is in.
  3. The edits are finished. I am just waiting to hear back from an admin on submitting one of the edits for approval by the Academy. They told me it would be a while, so I can't really do anything until I hear back from them.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey
JJPotter said:
  1. Yes, the scenes are color corrected to match the main film they are going into. There is no way I would just drop a scene in without making sure it was a smooth visual look with the rest of the film. These were initially edited for my enjoyment and having scenes not match would not be appealing to me.
  2. Yes, there are some scenes missing from the first list. This was not intentional. The only 2 scenes that I did not put back into the films were both in Deathly Hallows Part 2. The bridge scene with green screen and the scene with Aberforth were not added back. The green screen scene, in my opinion, was not worth adding back in for the amount of work that would have been required. The Aberforth scene looked to be an alternate scene to what was in the movie. Since some of the dialogue was the same and there was not a good way of inserting it, it was omitted. In Deathly Hallows Part 1, I used a portion of the Dudley/Harry scene at the beginning, but not the entire scene. Everything else is in.
  3. The edits are finished. I am just waiting to hear back from an admin on submitting one of the edits for approval by the Academy. They told me it would be a while, so I can't really do anything until I hear back from them.

Okay, I get it now.

Also, how come you didn't bother incorporating every deleted scene into OotP?

Top Bottom