• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Harry Potter Archives - Complete Project Discussion

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This first post will be updated with a summary of released discs and collected material.

Released To Date:

Year 5 Volume 1 (NTSC DVD5)   released August 30, 2007
ITV’s Behind the Magic...........................................: 46 minutes
HBO First Look.......................................................: 13 minutes
teaser trailer........................................................: 01 minute
trailer #2.............................................................: 02 minutes
video game trailer.................................................: 02 minutes
Jonathon Ross Interviews:
JK Rowling...........................................................: 17 minutes
Daniel Radcliffe....................................................: 18 minutes
Helena Bonham Carter...........................................: 19 minutes

Year 5 Volume 2 (NTSC DVD5)   released September 13, 2007
A&E Hidden Secrets..............................................: 45 minutes
snitch.co.uk movie premiere...................................: 15 minutes
US Talk Show Interviews:
Conan Obrien: 2007-07-11 Daniel Radcliffe................: 15 minutes
Conan Obrien Show: 2007-07-12 Emma Watson.........: 12 minutes
Jay Leno: 2007-07-09 Daniel Radcliffe......................: 15 minutes
David Letterman: 2007-07-11 Emma Watson.............: 11 minutes

Year 5 Volume 3 (NTSC DVD5)   released February 11, 2008. version 2.0 released November 26, 2009
G4TV’s Exclusive Inside Look..................................: 42 minutes
Harry Potter: The Costume Drama...........................: 23 minutes
MTV’s Making the Movie........................................: 21 minutes
Ebert & Roeper’s review of the Order of the Phoenix...: 04 minutes
Daniel Radcliffe on Extras......................................: 10 minutes
HP World Highlights..............................................: 04 minutes

Year 6 Volume 1 (NTSC DVD5)   released November 7, 2009
ITV's Behind the Magic.........................................: 46 minutes
HBO First Look.....................................................: 13 minutes
Sky Movies Special...............................................: 23 minutes
E! Behind the Scenes...........................................: 22 minutes
T4 Inside Look....................................................: 05 minutes
Official Sneak Peek..............................................: 03 minutes

Collected, unreleased material:

Year 4 (The Goblet of Fire)
Major Featurettes
- Inside the Goblet of Fire [SD, PAL] - 43min
- HBO Inside Look [SD (avi), NTSC] - 13min
Talk Show Appearances
- Emma Watson on CBS early show 2005-11-18 [SD (avi, poor), NTSC] - ~5min
- Emma & Katie on MTV's TRL 2005-11-17 [SD (avi, poor, NTSC] - ~3min
- Emma Watson on Regis and Kelly 2005-11-15 [SD (avi, poor), NTSC] - ~6min
- Emma Watson on Today Show 2005-11-15 [SD (avi, poor), NTSC] - ~5min
Video Game Stuff
- Lego Harry Potter (years 1-4) teaser trailer [HD, NTSC] - 1min
Unsorted
- 2 official trailers [HD, NTSC]
- Party at the Palace, 2006 [SD (avi, poor), PAL] - ~7min
- JK Rowling on Richard & Judy [SD (wmv, really poor), PAL] - 30min

Year 6 (The Half-Blood Prince)
Major Featurettes
- UK Preview DVD1 (trailers, short featurettes, galleries) - 23min
- TV Guide Big Movie Premiere [SD, NTSC] - 35min
- Behind the Screen (a Canadian presentation) [SD, NTSC] - 47min
- T4 HP&tHBP Movie Special (UK Premiere) [SD, PAL] - 23min
- JK Rowling meets Jeremy Paxon [SD (vhs transfer), PAL] - 29min (about books)
Talk Show Appearances
- Rupert Grint on Al Murray's Happy Hour [SD (avi), PAL] - ~10min
- Daniel Radcliffe on Conan 2009-01-12 [SD (avi), NTSC] - ~10min
- Emma Watson on Letterman 2009-07-08 [HD, NTSC] - ~15min
- Daniel Radcliffe on Letterman 2009-07-09 [SD, NTSC] - ~10min
- Emma & Rupert on GMTV 2009-07-07 [HD, PAL] - ~5min
- Jason Isaacs on Jonathon Ross [HD, PAL] - ~10min (but not really about HP)
- Emma Watson on Jonathon Ross [SD, PAL] - ~15min
- Jason Isaacs on Justin Lee Collins [SD (avi), PAL] - ~10min
- Emma Watson on Regis and Kelly [HD, NTSC] - ~7min
- Daniel Radcliffe on Parkinson 2007-11-03 [SD (avi), PAL] - ~12min (but not really about HP)
Video Game Stuff
- video game trailers [HD, NTSC] - ~9min
- making of video game [SD, NTSC] - 15min
- video game producer interview [HD, NTSC] - 2min
- video game review (gametrailersdotcom) [SD, NTSC] - 7min
- various video game adverts for different platforms [SD, PAL mostly]
Unsorted
- All official trailers [HD, NTSC]
- a handful of foreign trailers [varying quality]
- various short TV spots [SD, NTSC or PAL]
- 2009 MTV movie awards [SD (avi), NTSC]
- Tom Felton on 8 out of 10 Cats [HD, PAL]
- Comic Relief 2009 [SD (avi), PAL]
- Film 2009 w/ Jonathon Ross [SD (avi), PAL]
- UK Newsround clips [SD (avi), PAL]
- IGN Rewind Theater Review [HD, NTSC]
- Jason Isaacs on the One Show [SD (avi), PAL]
- E! Buzzworthy short [SD, PAL]
- The Fix (SD, PAL]
- Discovery the Real World of HP [SD, PAL]
- SKY News advert [SD, PAL]
- Daily Mail advert [SD, PAL]
- 35MM Film Review [SD, PAL]
- and a few other short news clips and adverts

Special thanks to the following people for helping with this project so far:
AvP, lewis886, thesnitch.co.uk, dobo, sladetwc, tonecapone, boon23, Desolation, Dazzatron, swordstone, goldstone9, Frantic Canadian, Shades2585, joebshmoe, Invisible Wolfman, zorzalita

Project trailer:

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a thread to post about new material that may be out there, and to discuss upcoming volumes of the Harry Potter Archives - Year Six (The Half Blood Prince. For finished volumes, see the completed Year 6 Archives thread HERE.

I finally think its time to put a Year Six volume out. The hype for the movie is still good, and the incoming material has slowed down a bit, so I can begin to organize things properly. The first volume should be done soon. The rough list of contents for this volume 1 will include:

• Behind the Magic (46 minutes)
  • T4 UK Premiere (23 minutes)
  • UK preview DVD contents (23 minutes, total)
  • HBO First Look (13 minutes)
  • T4 short series of interviews (4 minutes)

The UK preview DVD was a free DVD that came with the local newspapers. It contains film clips, short featurettes, trailers, video game preview, and image galleries. It will be rebuilt into the HP Archives disc. This disc contains all the official trailers (the teaser + 3 trailers), however I may also be including other trailers on this disc (from other countries). That will probably bring the disc contents closer to 2 hours of material. I'll post a complete list when I have it closer to being completed.

I've also started on the single volume cover art for this disc. Here is a WIP. note, the back will contain the contents and a couple screenshots like the Year 5 discs.

HP-Archives6-1_WIP3D.jpg

let me know what you think :)

A

AvP

really nice of you to put boon on that cover....look forward to these releases.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol, yes, I got Heinrich to take that photo of boon and I when I visited them :p ;D

Additional details: The discs will now have widescreen menus, since almost all of the footage now is widescreen. The times they are a changin'... The disc menus will feature custom animations and transitions similar to the Year 5 discs, though I've learned a lot since then, so they will likely be improved. The UK preview DVD had 4:3 fullscreen menus. I will try to rebuild the contents and menus as close to original as possible in widescreen to match the rest of the Archives disc. I also may make some minor font adjustments to make things gel also.

I want to thank everyone again who contributed to this project and helped along the way. Many of you have really been instrumental in providing material and insight to the project. I cannot do this alone. The HP Archives has really benefited from everyone's help. I have a TON of material on my HDD and on DVD-Rs ready to be incorporated into future volumes. I received surprisingly so much new rare material for The Order of the Phoenix (Year 5), that it will likely expand from a 3 volume set to a 6 volume set. There is lots of stuff for The Half Blood Prince accumulated and still being released, so please, let us know here of material you think may be relevant.

Thanks, and I'll keep you posted on Year 6 - Volume 1. :D

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks! yes, I have that one in super-high resolution. It was released as a teaser just prior to the release of the last book. It is the only out there that doesn't have any titles on it. The Scholastic (US book publisher) Harry Potter website has flash (SWF) book cover "explorers" that allow you to zoom in and move around on parts of the book cover.

Here: http://www.scholastic.com/harrypotter/books/covers/

I was able to use a Flash extracting tool, to get the original hi-res images from the flash files. Fortunately, they don't have any text or logos on them except for just the book title (because these were hand-drawn by cover artist Mary GrandPré). For the most part, I've been successful cloning out that subtitle to use for my cover arts.

If you find any more of these book covers in hi-res with zero text or labels on them, let me know :) thanks again avp.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
for those of you just tuning in to this project, here is the trailer I put together a long time ago.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
AvP said:
what Flash extracting tool did you use?

I used SWF Extractor. If the flash file is "locked" (to prevent editing) you can use unlockswf on the file first.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm trying to really improve upon the Year Five discs. Though I am happy with those DVDs, I think I can make them a whole lot better now for the rest of my DVDs. So far, all encoding is being done with avisynth/virtualdub/CCE, whereas I used TMPGEnc for a lot of stuff in the past. Also, I've been toying around with After Effects and I've figured out a way to simulate the movie intro to use as an intro to the main menu. Here is a sneak peak screenshot:

HPA6_Intro_preview.jpg

The titles are animated to fly through the clouds (the clouds are animated to simulate a storm) very much like the intro titles on the movie. I haven't decided yet exactly how I am going to design the main menu, but I want this intro to transition nicely to that main menu.

A

AvP

Looks great...i would like to see a sample of that intro,i bet it looks cool.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
AvP said:
Looks great...i would like to see a sample of that intro,i bet it looks cool.

ok, I'm still working on it, but I'll try to get something posted to vimeo later today.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks AvP!! getting closer to getting this done. The intro and main menu videos are complete.

And because I goofed up a bit, the contents of volume 1 will change. Instead of the UK Preview DVD, I will include the E! network Behind-The-Scenes of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (22 minutes).

The reason I made the substitution is that I realized when recreating the menus for the Preview DVD, that it was called PREVIEW DVD 1. Hence, there was more than one produced.... Though I was supposed to already have it, I misplaced it or never actually got it. Totally my fault. AvP though, once again, is a huge help, and is acquiring a replacement DVD2 (there were 2 produced, as well as a game preview disc). The preview DVDs will be kept together and put on volume 2 or volume 3 of the year 6 archives.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am also thinking of removing the T4 UK Premiere Special from volume 1 and replacing it with the SKY Movies Behind the Scenes special. It has the same runtime, and it would allow me to group mostly making of features on volume 1 and put all the movie premiere (UK and USA stuff on another volume).

thoughts?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, thats what I was thinking. I will make the swap. I should be able to get a full DVD of just the premiere stuff. we'll see.

For whatever volume I put the preview DVDs on, I will probably include other short TV spots, commercials, trailers, and foreign trailers. That one will take some time to put together since I will have to rebuild many menus (about 30 on the first preview DVD) and encode and link loads of short clips.

I also have the TV Guide Big Movie Premiere that is between 60 and 90 minutes long (I have to double check, plus it has some commercials in it). I may push that one up to volume 2 if I can get a start on it right away. (and push the premiere volume and preview DVDs volume back). I posted about the TV Guide special on FE when we had a section there, but since its gone, here is a screencap (not actual resolution):

HarryHBP_TVguide_compare.png

The show ran in a fullscreen presentation, but only in the upper half of the screen. The bottom half had the Guide listings. I'll be able to crop that out and make it anamorphic widescreen (see image on right, above).

I have a few other longer specials (at least 45 minutes) and loads of short clips. Additionally, I'd like to make a volume of JUST the video game material. That would include game trailers, reviews, walk-throughs, making-ofs, etc. To sum it up, I have no idea how many volumes we will end up with for year 6, but it will be at least 4.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds good Throw. As I recall the TV Guide Channel's "Big Movie Premiere" specials are only 60-minutes long, with commercials. I'm also planning a disc in my Terminator Salvation project with content relating solely to the videogame.

Top Bottom