• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (fanedit by Threepkiller)

Threepkiller

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My intention with this fanedit was to improve the film's look, dialogue, story and characters. To make it more tolerable for someone who is a fan of the books and the rest of the films. I tried my best to removed the green dull look that dominates most scenes, resulting in a more dynamic visual style (though colours are not necessarily more accurate or natural in my edit). I cut everything that I believed was either out of character, badly written, contrary to the Harry Potter universe, or just plain ugly. I added 5 deleted scenes which I think strengthen the film and should have never been cut in the first place.

MKV with x264 720p video and DTS audio is done. After that is released and I receive initial feedback, I will render a 1080p Blu-ray with DTS-HD audio, which may or may not contain further adjustments.

Original runtime: 153 minutes
Fanedit runtime: 150 minutes
Time cut: 6 minutes
Time added: 3 minutes

Sources:
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Blu-ray Ultimate Edition. Source video was 1080p VC-1 for both main movie and deleted scenes. Audio was Dolby TrueHD 5.1ch on the main movie and Dolby AC3 5.1ch 448kbp on the deleted scenes.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Soundtrack by Nicholas Hooper

List of changes:
* Chroma and luma adjustments throughout most of the film.
- Cut shot of Harry's eye during the Intro.
- Cut the waitress.
- Cut Dumbledore talking to Harry about the waitress and how he's not returning to Little Whinging.
- Cut Harry apparating outside The Burrow by himself and looking at Ginny.
- Cut Dumbledore talking about Harry's love life.
- Cut Cormac and Hermione looking at each other during Quiddich.
- Reduced the aliasing present at 47:47 (original movie timing), for more info see:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1187862/harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince/240#post_17694144
http://www.doblu.com/2009/12/08/harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince-review/
- Cut shot of the potions book where sectumsempra is misspelled as "sectumpsempra".
- Cut Cormac looking at Hermione while licking his fingers at Slugurn's dinner party.
- Cut shot of Ron's breakfast before Quiddich.
- Cut Lavender's line "I think this room's taken."
- Cut Hermione crying and Harry's line "It feels like this."
- Cut Ron and Lavender kissing on the staircase.
- Cut duplicate shot of Draco uncovering the Vanishing Cabinet.
- Cut Ginny feeding Harry.
- Cut the line "The first night of the cycle's always the worst".
- Cut Ginny tying Harry's shoes.
- Trimmed Ginny standing helplessly while Greyback approaches her.
- Cut The Burrow being burned down.
- Cut Harry knocking on Slughorn's door.
- Added deleted scene of Harry and Hermione discussing the Marauder's Map.
- Cut Hermione and Lavender's fight at Hogwarts infirmary.
- Added deleted scene of Harry telling Hermione and Ron that Malfoy has been going to the Room of Requirement.
But cut all talk of the vanishing cabinet.
- Cut Snape and Dumbledore's discussion at the Astronomy Tower.
- Added deleted scene of Dumbledore telling Harry about Tom Riddle and the cave.
- Added deleted scene of Flitwick conducting the choir.
- Added deleted scene of Harry and Dumbledore leaving the cave.
- Cut Snape and Harry seeing each other at the Astronomy Tower.
- Added fanedit credits.
Some screengrabs to preview colours:

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Colors look great to me, but it's hard to tell definitively without the "Before" frame as well. If you have time, I'd suggest grabbing some from the original for comparison.

The Half Blood Prince was surely the weakest film of the bunch, and the only fan edit I've seen of it didn't go far enough for my taste, so I hope that this edit might be what I've been looking for. The cut list looks promising.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you, your submission for this edit has been received. I will notify the Academy about it needing to be reviewed. Please have patience as we are a bit busy at the moment, but you won't go unnoticed or forgotten.

Threepkiller

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Colors look great to me, but it's hard to tell definitively without the "Before" frame as well. If you have time, I'd suggest grabbing some from the original for comparison.

The Half Blood Prince was surely the weakest film of the bunch, and the only fan edit I've seen of it didn't go far enough for my taste, so I hope that this edit might be what I've been looking for. The cut list looks promising.

I just added screengrabs with comparisons, thanks for the advice.

I agree the sixth film was the worst. The dialogue is sometimes creepy and out-of-character. The story is ruined by making plot-twists obvious. And visually it is just horrible to my eyes, everything is green and lifeless. I love the rest of the saga though, and I wanted a fanedit that would allow me to enjoy the occasional Harry Potter marathon without having to suffer through Half-Blood Prince. My fanedit allows me to actually enjoy its few good moments. I hope it will work the same way for other people.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
nightstalkerpoet said:
I'm not seeing the first post in this thread...?

It needed moderation. When new members (less than 5 posts) attach anything (videos, pictures, links) they need to be moderated.

ShortRound24

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice to finally see your here! ;-) I have already seen and reviewed threepkiller's edit I will paste my review soon.

Solid11

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree that this movie was the one I was most disappointed about overall. (I told my friends about the green after we left the theater and they didn't notice it at all!)

The plot was too focused on the teenage relationships and not nearly enough time spent on the Dumbledore/Harry relationship and pensieve/Tom Riddle history plotline.

I watched another edit on here and thought it was fantastic. Just simply trimming a lot of the small love story scenes improves this film dramatically.

edit: nice to see Shortround has watched this edit already! :D

ShortRound24

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Threep and I were in contact for the last 5 months, guiding and helping him with his edit. I am very proud of his work and how far Threep has come from the early clips he showed me. :)

Here's my review, there are some minor spoilers in terms of Threep's cutting:
I have to commend your fanedit on a technical stand point in terms of video and audio quality. The cuts have been smoothed out and the integration of the deleted scenes is unnoticeable, tremendous effort on the cutting of the “choir” scene. The colour correction for the most part looks good, with some scenes looking absolutely fantastic. The “start-of-term feast” and “Quidditch tryouts” scenes come to mind improving on the variety of colours but maintaining a dark overall mood. The removal of the green-haze which plagued the original is gone for the most part, however this has affected the colour of the slytherin robes in some scenes (potions class, start-of-term feast) appearing blue rather than the standard dark green. Although this in my opinion can be completely overlooked as the footage looks stunning.

Unfortunately, (and this is due to a lack of available footage) the film suffers from being quite slow and tedious at times. This is not a fault with your edit it is a problem I have even with the originals portrayal of “story”. I even find it hard to sit through my own edit, in which I was much harsher in cutting and re-ordering scenes and dialogue. However I have to say that your edit does add more weight to Dumbledore’s demise (cutting allusions to Snape) and strengthening the overall narrative. Any Potter Fan looking for a complete and more enjoyable experience over the original will find pleasure here. This film will always been the black sheep for me; short, anti-climatic action scenes, dodgy attempts at humour, unrealistic and out-of-character love scenes (which you nicely did away with.) My experience with “The Half-Blood Prince” is boredom in simple terms, my passion for the books and earlier entries into the film franchise are the only things that held my interest went I first saw the theatrical cut. It weakened my interest for “Potter” for a long time a shied away from the series in general. But your technically sound cut of the movie and the experience of helping you along the way has re-kindled my enthusiasm for “Harry Potter” and thank you deeply.

Oh and thanks for the credit mention!

Threepkiller

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Shortround was a tremendous help from the very beginning. Regarding the color issues he mentions in his review (thanks for sharing it here), while aiming for an overall more lively look, some specific objects ended up the wrong colour. Though comparing it with the original, I would say those issues were already there, at least in part. Slytherin robes do look blue instead of green at the feast, but they're not green in the original film either, they're grey.

I fixed some of those issues and ignored others based on how much they bothered me. My approach to colours was very subjective. Initially I wanted to use stills as a reference to make an objective colour correction. I even put together a nice digital collection organized by scene. But whatever they did to this film during post-production, the damage is irreversible. So I just tried to make it more pleasing to my eyes, closer to the previous films. Because though it's true that the story of Half-Blood Prince is dark, it takes place in the same magical world as before.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This has been approved by the Fanedit Academy and is now released. Thread moved to True Fanedits.

guzenjose

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi! Where could I find this edit? I'm very curious about it and would love to see it.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Top Bottom