• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 - NSP'd - AVI Now Available

nightstalkerpoet

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit Film Name Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 - NSP'd

DHPart1_front.jpg

Brief Synopsis
I personally felt that this film was made for the fans, but tragically left everyone else very confused. The point of my edit is to slightly extend the film by adding in two scenes, simultaneously fixing the film pacing and narrative.

Original Film Name Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
Studio Name Warner Bros
Fanedit Type Extended Edition
Original Running Time 2 hours 26 Minutes
Original Release Date April 15, 2011
Fanedit Running Time 2 hours 28 Minutes
Fanedit Release Date April 28, 2011
Amount of time cut. 2 Minutes added

Edit Details
Through the first six Harry Potter films, everything was nicely structured around a school year. Though pacing could occasionally change, it still flowed nicely within a comfortable range. In the seventh film, the school calendar is removed, and we are left guessing at the passage of time, knowing only that some parts seem to drag where no time passes at all, while two and a half months pass in under fifteen minutes.

My edit attempts to correct this, fixing the pacing through two carefully chosen deleted scenes. Amazingly, these scenes fix not only the pacing but also many pieces of broken and missing narrative, while adding a little bit more humanity as well. Though not a huge change in edit, the impact can be felt all the way through.
Cut-List
Added "The Dursley House" Deleted scene with Aunt Petunia.
Added the Trio discussing the Locket.
Added September, October, and November as title overlays to help show the passage of time.
Technical Info
1080p, 5.1 Dolby Digital (The two deleted scenes are upmixed)

AMD Phenom II x4 processor
DVDFAB 8
Cyberlink Powerdirector 9
TFM Audio Converter
Release information
  • AVCHD
  • Single Layer DVD
  • Dual Layer DVD
  • MKV
  • AVI

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds good to me, looking forward to this.

nightstalkerpoet

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am uploading the DL NTSC AVCHD version at the moment. All other releases will be done in a little while... btw, what is the best free DVD authoring software? I'm having a VERY hard time getting anything to convert the .m2ts bluray file to DVD.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nightstalkerpoet said:
I'm having a VERY hard time getting anything to convert the .m2ts bluray file to DVD.

So you have rendered a full BD file from your editor? You are using Cyberlink PowerDirector, so I assume you are on a PC. Ordinarily, I would suggest rendering from a lossless AVI to encode from, but I seem to remember reading that PowerDirector can't do this for some reason. (Correct me if I'm wrong. It would be better to render a lossless file and work from that.) Working on the assumption that you have to encode from the m2ts, download DGAVCDec, Avisynth and HC Enc and we can get you started.

nightstalkerpoet

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You've confirmed my fears that this is gonna be a total pain :p I'll get right on that though.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not necessarily, encoding a DVD from the m2ts won't be a total pain. A lossless AVI would be better in terms of quality, but encoding from an m2ts can still look very good, the steps aren't hard to follow, and I'll more or less write the very simple script for you.

nightstalkerpoet

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm working on them right now. Should be here soon.

Here is the full cover art:
o79dgh.jpg

Also if anyone knows, when rendering the DVDs, should I render the SL and DL versions seperately, or run the DL through DVDShrink to get the SL?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nightstalkerpoet said:
Also if anyone knows, when rendering the DVDs, should I render the SL and DL versions seperately, or run the DL through DVDShrink to get the SL?

Always encode them separately. Never use DVD Shrink.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Always encode them separately. Never use DVD Shrink.
This. DVDShrink should be banned worldwide.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit should be listed in the Unapproved section of .info by tonight, perhaps.. within the hour ;)

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have watched edit, review to follow.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is now listed on .info. Also, I have merged the responses from the duplicate thread into this thread.

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is my pleasure to write a review of nightstalkerpoet's extended edition:
I have watched the avchd version of his edit on my Blu ray player, hd dlp projector on a 106" screen and audio through my 1700watt 6.1 set up.
In one word; Excellent.
I too have always felt that a lot of info that someone who has not read the books(like me) find the movies harder to follow and by adding these particular scenes back in do help a lot and I must say nightstalkerpoet has done it well.
I originaly saw the picture at the cinema with my wife, who is a big Potter fan and has read the books. We did enjoy it but both felt that there were scenes missing or little bits of info missing.
When released on blu ray we knew their were deleted scenes on the disc so after purchasing watched again and found it a more enjoyable experience and both wondered why these scenes were removed and so looked forward to this edit ...

In nightstalkerpot's edition the cut scenes are intergrated seamlessly and cleverly, and do help with the overall narative of the movie. The scenes added are of Harry's auntie Petunia speaking to Harry as the Dursley family are leaving their family house at the begining of the movie, and the second is of Harry, Ron and Hermione discussing the horcrux in the tent in a forest approx a quarter through. They both added a bit more info and depth to the story and surrounding scenes.
I couldnt detect any difference in the audio conversion of the added scenes and the addition of the months passages in text didn't feel out of place and again helped with the overal feeling of bleakness and dispair this movie can give the viewer.
Picture and audio were flawless and as I say watching it on my set up you do notice if not done well.
You've done an excellent job and will be watching your edition over the original release for future viewing.
Here are some ratings:
Image quality: 10
Audio quality: 10
Difference to the original: 5 ( I would class as an extended edition, not a full edit or recut)
Overall presentation: 5 ( As it was an avchd it had no menu's did have the editors logo after the title in a Harry Potter stylee but could do with an intro of some form)
Entertainment: 8 (As a movie overal)

Thanks for sharing your edit and well done.:clap2:
I am looking forward to more of your work.

nightstalkerpoet

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If all goes right, DL and SL dvds will be done today. :)

Having a hard time making xvid from .m2ts. Thinking I may be better off making the xvid from the DL DVD.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nightstalkerpoet said:
Having a hard time making xvid from .m2ts. Thinking I may be better off making the xvid from the DL DVD.

That will be a bad idea in terms of quality. I can show you how to make an XviD, no problem.

nightstalkerpoet

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry, anyone waiting for this on DVD/avi. Money is tight so I won't have internet at home for a few weeks. I know that it might not be the best option for quality, but if anyone would be willing to create an xvid avi from the currently available AVCHD for me, I would greatly appreciate it!

On a different note for admins, I was curious when this edit will show up on fanedit.org?

Top Bottom