• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Almighty Edit

almightycutie

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After getting feedback on my Game of Thrones edit I am coming back to my Harry Potter edits to fix them up before submitting. Onto CoS.

Again, another light edit. Most of the edits are just a second or so each to take out small annoyances I had with the films. Mainly things that I found dragged on too long, minor irritations like Harry shushing people or always having to get in a one-liner, and then a few bigger things to me. My goal is to create light edits that don't try to reimagine or create anything new, but rather just enhance the original movies.

Wondering if anyone disagreed with any of my cuts or had thoughts on further changes?

There are a lot of very tiny edits that wouldn't be worth showing or getting feedback on. But here are some spots with a bit more editing:
  • The first scene is a shot I didn't like where Harry tries to grab Dobby. It is so obvious that he is just grabbing air and it looks bad, so I tried a bit of zooming and reframing it so it doesn't focus so much on Harry. Not sure if I pulled it off though.
  • Second is the removal of Harry almost falling out of the flying car
  • The scene where I try to cut out the trio seeing Hagrid and contemplating talking to him about the chamber is a challenge. It is a pretty noticeable cut straight to Neville. I think I may have to leave this scene in because it just doesn't work too well. It was a scene I was on the fence about cutting anyways.
  • Next is the Basilisk fight. Cut the ending way down so Harry isn't flailing so much
  • I took out the flight out of the chamber of secrets. I always hated that scene. This was a challenge removing the music to fit it together correctly.
  • Finally is Dobby stopping Lucius' attack on Harry. Simply cut out him saying Avada.

(Harry tries to grab Dobby -- The Flying Car -- Trio talking about Hagrid -- Out of the Chamber of Secrets -- Lucius attacks Harry)

Subtitles made by the user - Robuust!

Change list:
  • Starting with the Ultimate Extended Edition as a base, I kept some extended scenes, but cut others.
  • Cut the Dursleys rehearsing their plan for the evening to get to the night faster
  • Added music to Dobby's arrival
  • Slight trims throughout Dobby's arrival and the dinner party for pacing
  • Added a very slight music cue to Ginny seeing Harry arrive and then running away, and trimmed it to fit nicer and have less awkward acting from Ginny.
  • Cut the questioning of a rubber duck. I know it's a kids movie but this was just a bit too much for me.
  • Cut the Malfoys in Knockturn Alley and most of Harry in the shop.
  • Cut Draco getting his last word in at the bookstore. The scene ends with Lucius as he is the main focus of the scene.
  • Cut Harry almost falling out of the car while flying from the train. There is still some action here, just no ridiculous almost death of falling out of the car.
  • Trimmed them running into the Whomping Willow in many spots for pacing
  • Removed the extended scene - Filch's magic pamphlet
  • Harry doesn't say "Spooky"
  • No awkward interaction with Dumbledore about Hermione almost telling him that Harry was hearing voices.
  • Trimmed the Quidditch match a lot for pacing. No Colin almost dying on the field
  • Removed extended version's Justin's intro before Lockhart's dueling club
  • Snape attacks Lockhart immediately during the duel instead of waiting forever after the countdown
  • No quips between Malfoy and Harry before their duel
  • Cut extended scene of Harry looking over the lake asking who he is
  • Trimmed Harry being stared at in the study room
  • Cut extended scene of the kids wondering if Harry is the Heir of Slytherin
  • Cut extended scene of Harry seeing Hagrid right after the study room
  • Cut Harry talking to the hat before he sees Dumbledore
  • Trimmed up the Polyjuice gathering scenes
  • Trimmed up the whole scene of Harry writing in the book and saying everything he writes as slowly as possible
  • Cut Hagrid talking to the trio right before Neville comes to get them, but will probably add this back in.
  • Cut extended scene of Ron and Harry pulling the cloak out. They just go straight to Hagrid's place
  • Harry doesn't shush Ron in the forest. Cut out both shushes
  • No extended scene of them finding the car in the forest before it rescues them
  • Small trims for pacing in the spider attack
  • Cut them knowing that Ginny is in the chamber. This only gets revealed now when Harry finds her
  • Trimmed just a bit of Harry talking to Tom
  • Cut Tom explaining that the Basilisk got blinded by Fawkes. Unnecessary exposition for the action scene.
  • Trimmed some of the Basilisk attack, mainly where Harry is flailing a sword like an idiot and not hitting anything
  • Cut them ridiculously flying out of the Chamber of secrets with Fawkes
  • Cut Harry picking up the sword in Dumbledore's office. I cringe when he grabs the blade. The only time you see the sword in Harry's hand is a brief moment where he is in the background.
  • Cut Harry saying he'll always be around to save the day
  • Cut Mr. Malfoy trying to use Avada Kedavra. It's just a normal spell now.
  • Trimmed Dobby and Harry's final scene with a bit of music added over it. Cut Harry telling Dobby to never try to save his life again. So corny.
  • Lots of other minor trims throughout

Last edited:

almightycutie

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After getting feedback, I've kept the Hagrid scene in, and made a few minor adjustments to a couple edits that weren't as clean as they should have been. I think this one should be good now.

almightycutie

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes. I did some minor edits of the whole series a while ago but now I am going back through each one, upping the quality, and making better cuts and transitions, and more changes. I'm reviewing this movie some more and will start working on POA soon. Sorcerer's Stone is done already.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes. I did some minor edits of the whole series a while ago but now I am going back through each one, upping the quality, and making better cuts and transitions, and more changes. I'm reviewing this movie some more and will start working on POA soon. Sorcerer's Stone is done already.
Will be making additional changes to Deathly Hallows as well? There doesn't seem to be any changes for Part 2 in your initial changelist.

almightycutie

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I first went through I didn't do too many changes to the final few movies. When I get up to those ones I'll be thinking about changes I want to make, but I probably won't make too many. I personally like both DH movies for the most part and think they work well as two movies. I know there are some other edits out there that merge them into a single movie, and Spence is making his own right now too, but I'll be keeping them separate. Did you have any things you were looking to change on those ones?

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I first went through I didn't do too many changes to the final few movies. When I get up to those ones I'll be thinking about changes I want to make, but I probably won't make too many. I personally like both DH movies for the most part and think they work well as two movies. I know there are some other edits out there that merge them into a single movie, and Spence is making his own right now too, but I'll be keeping them separate. Did you have any things you were looking to change on those ones?
In regards to simple changes, I would suggest trimming away at the more cringeworthy moments and lines that detract from the focus of a scene.

almightycutie

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been trying to trim out a lot of the cringe lines throughout the movies as I've been going through them again. There are a lot in GOF! I'll be keeping this in mind as I get to the later movies.

Top Bottom