• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Hard Encoding a subtitle file into a video using Vegas?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Done some googling and watched some videos but can't seem to find how you take a subtitle file (*.srt in this case) and a video file (*.mp4 in this case) and make Vegas hard-encode the two together out the other end.

I've managed to import the *.srt file into Vegas...

1. file/import/closed captioning/(Select sub file)
2. tools/scripting/promote media closed captioning
3. Overlays/closed captioning CC1 (Primary)

...after clicking those three ^ the subs all show in the timeline as little blue flags and show in the preview video as being there at the perfect times and lengths. But when I render they are nowhere to be seen. Any help?

(btw I know other programs can do the job, I only want to know how to do it within Vegas... if you can ;-))

Just wanted to mention that you don't need to manually enter the "[Vegas]" part of the thread title. There is a Prefix dropdown menu that you can use instead. That's how we get the color to show up.

I think Vegas can only encode a video with optional soft-subs. Hardcoding will have to be done elsewhere. I may be mistaken, however.

matrixgrindhouse said:
I think Vegas can only encode a video with optional soft-subs. Hardcoding will have to be done elsewhere. I may be mistaken, however.

From what I've found out, I suspect this is true, if somewhat surprising.

Oh and I see it now Frink, thanks.

It's kind of a weird task, so it's not built into Vegas. There are third party plugins though that extend this capability - though not free, I don't think.

Honestly, I know you don't want to hear this, but you should just hard encode them when preparing your video files. For my Vegas workflow, I convert my source video to lagarith AVI using virtualdub. I would hardcode subs there if needed.

I hardcode my subs. I've long thought about doing a softcoded subtitle commentary track but I haven't figured out how to do it as easy as the hardcode method.

ThrowgnCpr said:
It's kind of a weird task, so it's not built into Vegas. There are third party plugins though that extend this capability - though not free, I don't think.

Honestly, I know you don't want to hear this, but you should just hard encode them when preparing your video files. For my Vegas workflow, I convert my source video to lagarith AVI using virtualdub. I would hardcode subs there if needed.

The OP was mostly about doing a quick clip for streaming on YouTube/Vimeo but I've got larger projects in mind that would feature subtitles as part of the changing "creative process", so having them in the editor as I play around with things is key. But if I've already burned them in I can't change anything.

I think you can import subs in (As I described above), edit your project to completion, then import the subs back out again. And hard or soft encode the new exported file outside of Vegas. Which might be a workaround for the kind of things I need them for... but far from as easy as I'd hoped.

I'll take your word for it that that the original question is an impossible one. I've seen paid-for-plugins to add subs as you say so I'll think about that option.

TM2YC said:
The OP was mostly about doing a quick clip for streaming on YouTube/Vimeo but I've got larger projects in mind that would feature subtitles as part of the changing "creative process", so having them in the editor as I play around with things is key. But if I've already burned them in I can't change anything.

For my Solaris edit I prepared two Lagariths in VirtualDub, one with subtitles and one without, and imported both of them in Vegas. So I could make whatever changes I wanted like recoloring, writing my own subtitles & cuts while the same subtitle is showing. Yeah it would have been easier to have soft subtitles to work with during editing but my method got the job done. And the plugin for VirtualDub was free too.

Back
Top Bottom