• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Handbrake question

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does compressing a 160 Mbps file to 60mbps in handbrake give better results than exporting it to 60 mbps directly in premiere pro?

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yes. I'm 90% sure on that, due to the fact I don't have premier, but handbrake is built specifically to get good quality encodes, and just that. premier is mainly focused on rendering your video, not really the encoding process.
I know for certain that resolve does a crappy encode and it's very highly likely that premier is the same.

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yes. I'm 90% sure on that, due to the fact I don't have premier, but handbrake is built specifically to get good quality encodes, and just that. premier is mainly focused on rendering your video, not really the encoding process.
I know for certain that resolve does a crappy encode and it's very highly likely that premier is the same.
That's great to hear because at anything less than the max 160 mbps the filmgrain on my edit became a blurry mess. But it also means that the edit is 250 GB lmao.

I want to make it 70ish GB with the same quality. Heres hoping!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I must really not know how to use handbrake. I always get terrible results using it. It's on my computer, but I never use it beyond dropping in the movie file to get the exact demensions of a video. Perhaps I use the right setting and/or I'm impatient with its encoding times.

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I must really not know how to use handbrake. I always get terrible results using it. It's on my computer, but I never use it beyond dropping in the movie file to get the exact demensions of a video. Perhaps I use the right setting and/or I'm impatient with its encoding times.
Handbrake is honestly pretty fast in my experience. especially if comparing to something like avisynth.
settings is important though. There's various useful things to know, such as using NVENC which uses your graphics card, is actually prone to a lot of errors.
if there is a rescale setting switched on by mistake, or some other filter, then it could introduce problems. I imagine there must be a tutorial somewhere that can go over all that if you wanted to try it out.
I just personally find it to have very clear and straight forward settings compared to other programs. how fast is your cpu out of curiosity?

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handbrake is honestly pretty fast in my experience. especially if comparing to something like avisynth.
settings is important though. There's various useful things to know, such as using NVENC which uses your graphics card, is actually prone to a lot of errors.
if there is a rescale setting switched on by mistake, or some other filter, then it could introduce problems. I imagine there must be a tutorial somewhere that can go over all that if you wanted to try it out.
I just personally find it to have very clear and straight forward settings compared to other programs. how fast is your cpu out of curiosity?

Even with a top of the line GPU hardware accel.would be bad? I'd love the hear the best settings for the highest quality compression for 4k HDR

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Even with a top of the line GPU hardware accel.would be bad?
right, because the GPU isn't really designed for this kind of process. encoding is about doing something linearly with motion estimation on a frame by frame basis, a GPU is about doing tons of parallel processing. My technical knowledge doen't go much further than that, but I've also read up on it and done a few tests.

unfair

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does compressing a 160 Mbps file to 60mbps in handbrake give better results than exporting it to 60 mbps directly in premiere pro?
I can't vouch for handbrake specifically, but I can confirm that mp4 files from premiere pro are much larger than they need to be compared to the quality you get. A match source medium quality is roughly the same file size as a high quality properly encoded file, unfortunately.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I must really not know how to use handbrake. I always get terrible results using it.

Some things I'd rec when using handbrake:

- always specify; never leave anything on auto
- turn off all filters
- ignore their default recommendations for what's suitable for SD/HD. Experiment and draw your own conclusions.
- always have on 'very slow' (placebo is a waste of time)

But also, if you're already getting along fine with another compression method, no harm in sticking with that.

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@DigModiFicaTion here's a link to a good preset for 1080p H264. The CRF (constant quality) is set to 20. If this doesn't give high enough visual quality, the crf can be lowered (though going much below 16 can get really huge on the filesize).

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So turns out the setting that messed it up was the one called 'constant quality fractional granularity' which has been set to 0.25 now. I got it from 160 mbps to a whopping 25 mbps at 4k!

Top Bottom