• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

HALLOWEEN RETURNS | Halloween (2018) Fanedit

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CRAIE4r.jpg

I really enjoyed HALLOWEEN 2018 by David Gordon-Green (look at that rhyming!). It had decent suspense, the music was phenomenal and it was interesting to see yet a different take on the character of Laurie Strode. But as usual, I felt like there were some missed opportunities. The pacing of several sequences felt too quick and over-edited, and almost every instance of awkward "improv" humor detracted from the experience or fell flat.

By removing these moments and stretching out others (as well as re-ordering some scenes), I'm trying to balance the overall pacing of the movie and increase suspense. Bascially, make it feel more like the original whenever possible.

Unlike my previous edits, I won't go into detail regarding every change I want to make. Instead, here are some bullet points:
  • The Dr. Sartain twist will be kept in. I know fans were divided with this plot twist; I remember being really weary in the theater when it happened. But cutting it would remove too much of the movie, and I for one, like how we see another perspective of Michael's influence. Laurie, his surviving victim, fears him and prepares for his return. Sartain, his protector for 40 years, becomes dangerously obsessed with the nature of his patient. The journalists are on the outside, intrigued by the case. However, some elements of this plot thread will be altered.
  • Some deleted scenes and alternate shots from the trailers will be added. Fully color-corrected and edited to match their surroundings.
    Eo9kuXI.jpg
  • Less humor. This includes removing a lot from Oscar, Allyson's dad, the Bahn-Mi cops™, Vicky and Julian, and even Dr Sartain himself.
  • Extended shots. This one is hard to show in pics, but some sequences have new extended shots, either by repurposing footage with modifications, or merging two shots together. I have removed the escaped patients from this shot to use at the end of the sequence.
    qnY4mEp.jpg

Last edited:

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Bahn Mi Cops™" LOL. Well done sir. Definitely be curious to check this out when it done. I like a lot of your ideas. I feel like I may be one of the few people who didn't hate those cops. Admittedly the scene went on for too long and needed some trimming but I liked it.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Work-in-progress clip of my HALLOWEEN RETURNS fanedit. I used the longer trailer take of Vicky closing the door from the trailer, fixed some color timing and cut Julian's out of place line.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thebutcher said:
Some comparisons of shots where I thought Myers' face was too visible. I cropped them and obscured his face slightly.

https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/3666

https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/3667

I have also completely re-done the opening credits to modifiy some elements I wasn't a fan of, mainly the red-ish background, the zoom-in effect on the text and the lighting on the pumpkin.
lpz4n7K.jpg

Excellent work... those are the kind of things which really bugged the hell out of me too, so this is looking good.  I particularly do not like the idea of seeing too much detail on Michael's face, so this is a definite improvement.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very happy with how this turned out:

I really hated that line but there was no way of cutting it without creating a jump cut or a jarring edit. What I did was remove Ray walking to the sink from the shot of Karen saying "Instant karma" and instead added him to the next shot.

ep4NkIQ.jpg

G812DJF.jpg

As always, this is my dilemma with fanediting: I don't want people to notice the changes I make but I'm too happy with the results not to show how it was done and share it with you guys XD

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry if this is pestering, but how's progress shaping up with this? I'm really looking forward to another different take on the reboot.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
Sorry if this is pestering, but how's progress shaping up with this? I'm really looking forward to another different take on the reboot.

The main portion of the editing was basically completed last month. Since then, I've been trying to finalize the remaining handful of effect shots, but they are proving to be a little too complex for me. So I decided to work on other projects for a while.

Fortunately, I found someone who can give me a hand with these shots but he's only available in September. In the meantime, I'll pick up work on this edit later this week and export a temp version (with missing FX shots) to get feedback on the whole thing, to make sure it will be ready for late-September, Early October.  Maybe you'd be interested?  :D

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
An example of a shot that exceeds my ability. I can do simple motion tracking but the way the photo frame is picked up and moved is too tricky for me.

OVq4UKD.jpg

TinyBreadMouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thebutcher said:
Very happy with how this turned out:

I really hated that line but there was no way of cutting it without creating a jump cut or a jarring edit. What I did was remove Ray walking to the sink from the shot of Karen saying "Instant karma" and instead added him to the next shot.

ep4NkIQ.jpg

G812DJF.jpg

As always, this is my dilemma with fanediting: I don't want people to notice the changes I make but I'm too happy with the results not to show how it was done and share it with you guys XD

Handled this scene nearly exactly the same for my edit, except I just moved certain dialog to other shots and removed others. I'll upload to vimeo in a second to show you.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TinyBreadMouse said:
thebutcher said:

Handled this scene nearly exactly the same for my edit, except I just moved certain dialog to other shots and removed others. I'll upload to vimeo in a second to show you.

Cool, very curious to see your fix!

TinyBreadMouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, my Vimeo was just flagged and disabled, so that's cool. Had to make a YT account.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TinyBreadMouse said:
Well, my Vimeo was just flagged and disabled, so that's cool. Had to make a YT account.

Hey that works pretty well, if maybe a little too quick. And it didn't involve Photoshopping a person out, and rotoscoping him in another shot so, job well done!

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good work on both versions, but I think TheButcher's version is a bit smoother and less jaring.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Almost done editing, but I'd still like some feedback on certain cuts. In this scene, I took out Karen's (Judy Greer) rant on how the "world is full of love and understanding" etc. I remember thinking she came across as very shrill, unlikeable and naive since the first time I saw the movie in theaters.

However, just cutting her part made the scene end a bit unceremoniously. So I repurposed two of their lines and made a little comical exchange to end the scene. Their lines do feel added in, but no more so than other instances of bad ADR.

Anyway I'd love to know which option you prefer!

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thebutcher said:
Almost done editing, but I'd still like some feedback on certain cuts. In this scene, I took out Karen's (Judy Greer) rant on how the "world is full of love and understanding" etc. I remember thinking she came across as very shrill, unlikeable and naive since the first time I saw the movie in theaters.

However, just cutting her part made the scene end a bit unceremoniously. So I repurposed two of their lines and made a little comical exchange to end the scene. Their lines do feel added in, but no more so than other instances of bad ADR.

Anyway I'd love to know which option you prefer!

This works perfectly for me and is much better than Karen's rant.

Top Bottom