• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Halloween 2K7 - Scary As Hell Edition

You know I really wish people would stop complaining about how they HATE how Rob strayed from the original,he was not making a remake,this is HIS version of the story of Michael Myers,it is NOT intended to be a remake,he says this himself NUMEROUS times,and it is even commented on in the ComiCon panel as an extra on my version release.

So please people STOP complaining about it NOT being the *original*.

Just take it for what it was made to be.

dark jedi said:
Just take it for what it was made to be.
If we all did that, we would not be members of this site. :lol:

Ok, just watched this last night. Great job on the opening credits and pacing. The video and audio quality were both perfect, and all of the cuts worked fine. While I have to say this is the best of the 4 versions I've seen (The Workprint, Theatical, Director's Cut, Scary As Hell Edition), I still think this film could benefit from a total re-working. This edit was rather inspiring to me. I think I am going to do an edit as well. Only this time, it will be more of a shot-by-shot remake. While I respect that Rob wanted to make HIS own version, I still felt it would have been much better had it stayed more of a "remake", less of a "re-imaging". I will basically create new credits (to mimic the original film's credits), add the ORIGINAL Halloween score, and re-edit, re-arrange scenes to create a full-blown remake of the original. Start with Michael killing his older sister, have him escape the sanitarium (showing NO "prequel" footage) and then continue with him stalking the girls. I'll have to take another look at the deleted scenes to see if there is anything beneficial I could use from there. I will keep everyone updated on the status of the edit.

Anyway, great edit 3Raz0r...you've proven again and again that you've got the skills. Actually, you know what film would REALLY benefit from a "Scary As Hell" edition? "The Fog" remake. That was so terrible though, I'm not sure any measure of editing could fix that!

-RHR

Here is a comment I found on SCHNITTBERICHTE.DE (where I promoted fanedit.org, with the incredible result of 100s of new German visitors entering FE and rising from an all time rank 4 to rank 3, passing by Canada):

zu halloween 2k7
schon besser aber dort wurde ja auch nicht so extrem viel entfernt wie es in matrix der fall war. allerdings ist die mutter immernoch keine bitch. das h?tte mich beim vorhanden filmmaterial auch sehr gewundert aus einer liebenden und leidenden mutter eine schlampe zu machen.
zwar wurden viele sachen aus der vorgeschichte entfernt wenn sie sich liebevoll ihren kindern widmete aber man sieht ja auch wie sie in der klapper michael zum abschied k?sst und "by sweety" sagt. und der sp?ter folgende suizid als sie sich die kindervids von sich und michael ansieht passt nun auch nicht ganz zum rabenmutter image.
sicherlich eine recht gelungene fassung auch wenn ich jetzt nicht sagen das sie besser oder schlechter als zombies originalfilm ist.
gefallen mir beide.
translation: This is better, but there wasn't as much removed as in Matrix DeZIONized. Still I don't think the mother is now a bitch. This would have been rather complicated with the existing material anyway, how a loving suffering mother would turn into trash. Of course lots of scenes were removed in which she was the loving mother and talked to her kids, but stil lyou see her kissing Michael and saying "bye, sweety". Lter on she commits suicide after watching videos about her kids. To me this does not fit the profile of a "bad" mother.
Still I think this is a real good movie, but personally I would say it is as good as Rob Zombie's movie. I like them both and will keep them both.
(comment by KoRN on Schnittberichte.de)

I don't know if I was "thrilled" (only a few certain films have geniunely scared the sh*t out of me), but making Michael silent throughout the entire film is a HUGE improvement - it really does change the character and makes him a much more terrifying figure.

My only other comments (these are just personal preference):
- I think the rape scene could still have been shorter
- even though it was a "sickening" scene and displayed Michael's emotionless killer side, I would've liked it if Danny Trejo's character was not killed (I thought he was one of few "decent" characters of the story and didn't deserve to be brutally murdered)

EDIT: By "decent", I mean this Edit's version of the character.

how did you like it?

The Original: I?m in a unique position here. This is one of my first fan-edit reviews and I have not seen the original. It was given to me for Christmas, and I have not watched it yet. So I come to this edit fresh, and that?s by design. Sadly, I also come to it as very much NOT a Rob Zombie fan. I?m far from a squeamish horror fan, but I found 1000 Corpses mildly unsettling (as well as inept) and Devil?s Rejects (while it garnered a good deal of critical praise) truly unsettling. There?s something about Zombie?s sympathy with his sadistic killers that is irredeemable. He seems to find their banal worldviews fascinating, their commonplace psychological warps novel and relevant, and their sadism genuinely amusing. He intention seems to be getting his audience to admit how perverse a filmmaker he is (though, no doubt he prefers a word like ?hardcore?) rather than in freightening them.

This Concept: I?m all for reworking trashy movies to get them to the ?two star level?. There?s nothing revolutionary in trying to make Zombie?s ?reimagining? into a straight up and down remake, but I?m all for cutting out Zombie?s identification with Michael Myers. You did this very well, I feel, because I had anticipated way more of Zombie?s wallowing in Michael?s origin . I could not wish for more time spent watching McDowell ?connect? with Michael, and I certainly had enough of his Uber White Trash family as it was. (The White Trash in a Rob Zombie film is always Uber White Trash, as if the contents of Barry Bond?s ?workout? bag were being regularly dumped into the water supply of America?s most unseemly neighborhood.) 3 1/2 out of 5 for concept.

The Audio/ Visual: The only audio notch I noticed was during the imposition of the ?Trick Of Treat? title card. Perhaps because of that, the last shot of Michael before the card and the first shot of him after--reverse and then forward--were jarring. Other than that, I completely forgot I was watching a fan edit until the very end. 5 out of 5.

The Storytelling: As Rob Zombie?s writing leaves a lot to be desired (if you want to hear how a child psychiatrist would NOT speak, listen to Loomis?s laughable video diary or his even more pathetic and rhetoric-laden speech) I can?t spot any storytelling flaws that don?t seem to be inherent. If there was one thing that surprised me, it was reading on the cover for the edit (after watching it) that the mom was supposed to be a bitch. She does not seem anything like a bitch. Although, when I saw Loomis on the floor at the end a thought still flashed through my brain: "Weren't his eyes poked out?" 4 out of 5.

The Presentation: I loved the presentation with the exception of the main menu face and particularly the ending after the ending idea (that was a little too playful for me). 4 out of 5.

Overall: I?m pretty sure you?ve saved me from ever having to watch the original film. 4 out of 5.

Will I Keep It In My Collection?: No, but that?s the sole fault of the original material. Well done!

3Raz0r said:
Thanks a lot for this great review and for taking so much time and thought. You are right: Loomis is all about drama in RZ's version and not professional at all. What I removed was even worse.
The bitch thing: yes, several people have already mentioned that she is still no bitch, but again, compared to the original, she much more is. In my version I find her totally self centered, she pities herself and her losses, but she does not take real interest in Michael. I think, she only gave that photo to him, because Loomis was present, but that's pure speculation of course. And while watching a movie the many times you do while editing it, I might have lost the sense of "truly" watching it like an audience does.
The eye-poking scene: I actually cut this as much as I could. There is a flaw in the main movie, when his eyes are really poked out. A quite bloody scene. But in the next scene, he has no blood on his face and not even his eyes are swollen, hurt or red. So from what I tried, he just presses Loomis' head until he falls down, hurt and unconscious. If it still does not seem that way... damn!
As for the ending after the ending: well, I thought the true ending was rather expectable and boring, so I wanted to give it a fresh start by interrupting it with my credits. My test audience loved that.
Anyway, great input! That is exactly what I need. Once again, thanks for taking the time. Guys like you make fan editing worthwhile.

The feeling I got about the mom during the visit scene was that she was just empty inside.

The ending after the ending, the more I think about it, is pretty cool. Up until now I haven't seen that many fan edits (six? seven?) and I just hadn't been contemplating that degree of editorializing. Now that I think about it, it's sweet. (I'm just a linear guy, myself, striving for invisibility, I guess.) Again, great work.

4 out of 5.

A very good job done to a very questionable movie.

review by type12point:
The Original: I?m in a unique position here. This is one of my first fan-edit reviews and I have not seen the original. It was given to me for Christmas, and I have not watched it yet. So I come to this edit fresh, and that?s by design. Sadly, I also come to it as very much NOT a Rob Zombie fan. I?m far from a squeamish horror fan, but I found 1000 Corpses mildly unsettling (as well as inept) and Devil?s Rejects (while it garnered a good deal of critical praise) truly unsettling. There?s something about Zombie?s sympathy with his sadistic killers that is irredeemable. He seems to find their banal worldviews fascinating, their commonplace psychological warps novel and relevant, and their sadism genuinely amusing. He intention seems to be getting his audience to admit how perverse a filmmaker he is (though, no doubt he prefers a word like ?hardcore?) rather than in freightening them.

This Concept: I?m all for reworking trashy movies to get them to the ?two star level?. There?s nothing revolutionary in trying to make Zombie?s ?reimagining? into a straight up and down remake, but I?m all for cutting out Zombie?s identification with Michael Myers. You did this very well, I feel, because I had anticipated way more of Zombie?s wallowing in Michael?s origin . I could not wish for more time spent watching McDowell ?connect? with Michael, and I certainly had enough of his Uber White Trash family as it was. (The White Trash in a Rob Zombie film is always Uber White Trash, as if the contents of Barry Bond?s ?workout? bag were being regularly dumped into the water supply of America?s most unseemly neighborhood.) 3 1/2 out of 5 for concept.

The Audio/ Visual: The only audio notch I noticed was during the imposition of the ?Trick Of Treat? title card. Perhaps because of that, the last shot of Michael before the card and the first shot of him after--reverse and then forward--were jarring. Other than that, I completely forgot I was watching a fan edit until the very end. 5 out of 5.

The Storytelling: As Rob Zombie?s writing leaves a lot to be desired (if you want to hear how a child psychiatrist would NOT speak, listen to Loomis?s laughable video diary or his even more pathetic and rhetoric-laden speech) I can?t spot any storytelling flaws that don?t seem to be inherent. If there was one thing that surprised me, it was reading on the cover for the edit (after watching it) that the mom was supposed to be a bitch. She does not seem anything like a bitch. Although, when I saw Loomis on the floor at the end a thought still flashed through my brain: "Weren't his eyes poked out?" 4 out of 5.

The Presentation: I loved the presentation with the exception of the main menu face and particularly the ending after the ending idea (that was a little too playful for me). 4 out of 5.

Overall: I?m pretty sure you?ve saved me from ever having to watch the original film. 4 out of 5.

Will I Keep It In My Collection?: No, but that?s the sole fault of the original material. Well done!

and:
3Raz0r wrote:
Thanks a lot for this great review and for taking so much time and thought. You are right: Loomis is all about drama in RZ's version and not professional at all. What I removed was even worse.
The bitch thing: yes, several people have already mentioned that she is still no bitch, but again, compared to the original, she much more is. In my version I find her totally self centered, she pities herself and her losses, but she does not take real interest in Michael. I think, she only gave that photo to him, because Loomis was present, but that's pure speculation of course. And while watching a movie the many times you do while editing it, I might have lost the sense of "truly" watching it like an audience does.
The eye-poking scene: I actually cut this as much as I could. There is a flaw in the main movie, when his eyes are really poked out. A quite bloody scene. But in the next scene, he has no blood on his face and not even his eyes are swollen, hurt or red. So from what I tried, he just presses Loomis' head until he falls down, hurt and unconscious. If it still does not seem that way... damn!
As for the ending after the ending: well, I thought the true ending was rather expectable and boring, so I wanted to give it a fresh start by interrupting it with my credits. My test audience loved that.
Anyway, great input! That is exactly what I need. Once again, thanks for taking the time. Guys like you make fan editing worthwhile.

The feeling I got about the mom during the visit scene was that she was just empty inside.

The ending after the ending, the more I think about it, is pretty cool. Up until now I haven't seen that many fan edits (six? seven?) and I just hadn't been contemplating that degree of editorializing. Now that I think about it, it's sweet. (I'm just a linear guy, myself, striving for invisibility, I guess.) Again, great work.

I prefer this version much more than the theatrical cut. Mainly because the kid playing little Mikey wasn't IMO a very good actor so his spoken lines sounded stupid to me anyway. The fact that he doesn't utter a word gives you the idea that he's already a deeply disturbed and creepy little bastard. This is one of my favourite edits on the site, definately in my Top 5.

I posted this on the main website, but will copy it here... watched this last night, and overall awesome job. The technical skill you have here is great. Picture was nice, audio was nice, and there were no hard cuts of either. DVD setup was great too. I wanted to give this a 5, but I didnt really like how you handled the ending at all. I found the explanation credits after the faux ending was a bit laborious to go through. I already got this information from your info. Also, I dont really like the extra house ending, seems over the top to me. So I was a bit taken out of the experience for the ending. However, the rest of the edit was fantastic. Great job. Keep on editing please!!! Final rating: 4 out of 5 for me. Thanks 3raz0r!

I am happy you enjoyed it and thanks for the high 4 star rating. This edit has got considerably good reviews overall it seems and this makes me very proud.
The reason for the 2nd ending to be exactly there after the final credits is, because it was not really needed and over the top. But I thought it was not bad enough to be left out. Personally the movie ends for me with my first end credits and I am happy. The addition is only to find myself in a nodding and amused mood. Call it an afterplay. And I laughed a lot, when I showed this to my boyfriend and he was about to fall asleep, when the credits rolled only to be shocked by the sudden restart.
At least for this reaction it was great to add it. I also want to keep a playful mind, when fanediting. It's fun and somehow I want to show that.
My hope is most people just turn the DVD off, when they reach the credits, and discover the additional ending by accident when watching it again.

As for more fanedits: I will sure make more, but it all depends on mood and time. Recently I have started several projects, but none was good enough to finish it. But I have a lot left on my plate.

uploaded to RS on linktalk
BT on piratebay

steelio2006 said:
any chances anyone could upload this to Megaupload?

This edit is now available on Megashares, thanks to Throwgncpr.

Back
Top Bottom