• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Had a crazy idea of asking for raw footage of a film from a director

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So yeah. 3 am thoughts.

What if instead of editing the Blu-Ray version of a movie, i ask a filmmaker to send me raw footage of an old film? I’m sure some independent filmmakers wouldn’t mind, when it’s just for me, to edit for me.

Anyone do this? Too crazy?

I think to stay safe editors here try not to get the attention of filmmakers, but at the same time there definitely are filmmakers out there who are supportive of the community or don't care, I think it depends on who it is. I agree that independent filmmakers would be more likely to respond and allow it.
It's certainly an interesting proposal.

jrWHAG42 said:
I think to stay safe editors here try not to get the attention of filmmakers, but at the same time there definitely are filmmakers out there who are supportive of the community or don't care, I think it depends on who it is. I agree that independent filmmakers would be more likely to respond and allow it.
It's certainly an interesting proposal.

Well, Steven Soderbergh edits some films for fun. Like i know he did Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Heaven’s Gate and 2001 i think.

I'm not sure it would necessarily be up to the filmmaker.

It would probably come down to what the contracts say. If the director has total control then it might be possible, but if the studio has total control I don't think it would be possible.

That being said, I reached out to my favorite band some time ago when I was making a live video from their tour and the guitarist said they could give me the sound board mix of a performance they did. They had left their previous label and were independent so I assume they had total control over the distribution and rights of their music. I'd think it might be possible if it was an independent film and director.

DigModiFicaTion said:
That being said, I reached out to my favorite band some time ago when I was making a live video from their tour and the guitarist said they could give me the sound board mix of a performance they did. They had left their previous label and were independent so I assume they had total control over the distribution and rights of their music. I'd think it might be possible if it was an independent film and director.

That's super cool. What band was it?

The Scribbling Man said:
DigModiFicaTion said:

That's super cool. What band was it?

BTS.

Back
Top Bottom