• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Guide to prepare a DVD for editing in a NLE

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This appeared originally on the doom9 forum and then later appeared on videohelp.com.

I am posting the link below mainly because we all know most NLE programs do not like/work with straight mpeg2 material that well. In most cases you have to convert the mpeg2 to an avi format before editing. However at least one part of this guide actually gives you info on how you can skip that part and fully use your mpeg2 clip while the program (ex Sony Vegas) thinks of it in terms of an avi, therefore eliminating many of the odd/buggy issues you can sometimes encounter when using mpeg format.

The link can be found here==enjoy:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163647

Awesome. Thanks Tranzor, I'll try it out. This could be a great alternative to the lagarith AVI method and a good way to save space on one's HDD.

Funny thing is that the step they used I have seen when mainly using avisynth. I did not think of using it as an input that NLE programs would see until I read that guide.

If it helps to skip an avi output as well, I use debug frameserver http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/ which works with some NLE editors. This way I can use an NLE for all the work and something like Henc or the super old tmpg encoder (2.56) to encode straight back to an mpeg2/dvd format while skipping another avi file step-

Interesting. The key to that whole process he describes gets pretty glossed over in the guide, which is the Pismo file mounting program. The rest is all stuff that many here are probably already using in the process of file ripping and conversion. MeGui rules.

I have never heard of Pismo or used it before. Will have to check it out at some point! Good link tranzor, though I am skeptical that it is a better way to go than just sucking it up and making the big avi file.

EDIT: I also just tried to play with Debugmode Frameserver. I couldn't get it to work, but probably user error on my part. Regardless, there are also potential color conversion problems talked about on the website because it doesn't work with YUV. My two cents on all this is that you can't beat a good Lossless AVI file for stability and consistency. Especially in my situation right now where I am trying to render DVD, AVCHD, & BD versions. The intermediate rendering step is a blessing in disguise.

geminigod said:
Interesting. The key to that whole process he describes gets pretty glossed over in the guide, which is the Pismo file mounting program. The rest is all stuff that many here are probably already using in the process of file ripping and conversion. MeGui rules.

I have never heard of Pismo or used it before. Will have to check it out at some point! Good link tranzor, though I am skeptical that it is a better way to go than just sucking it up and making the big avi file.

EDIT: I also just tried to play with Debugmode Frameserver. I couldn't get it to work, but probably user error on my part. Regardless, there are also potential color conversion problems talked about on the website because it doesn't work with YUV. My two cents on all this is that you can't beat a good Lossless AVI file for stability and consistency. Especially in my situation right now where I am trying to render DVD, AVCHD, & BD versions. The intermediate rendering step is a blessing in disguise.

yes in your case the avi would be helpful, but if you are strictly working with mpeg2 material to begin with then doing the avi step (and if for some reason space and time are limited), and being able to skip that step works wonders.

most of the guide is of no use to me because I have my methods down, but the part of creating the fake avi to get it in the NLE (which I have down in the past when using avisynth as an encoder) I did pay full attention to. I figured others who are just starting and to make it simple might find the whole guide useful to some degree

Back
Top Bottom