• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

GUIDE: How to Download from Usenet

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What usenet group did you upload to?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
That would be newsdemon.

That's the provider. What group: alt.binaries.movies? alt.binaries.fan-edits? (If fan-edits then that's the problem. It no longer accepts uploads which is why I say to use .movies.)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whoops... sorry Q2 :D it was alt.binaries.movies

maxie09

Reaction score
Trophy Points

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong as I just can not get this to work at all. I have to be honest and state that my fanediting endeavor has been damaged somewhat since my mediafire account was suspended and now I just can't get to grips with this Usenet thing..... :( I shall try and persevere though.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Well, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong as I just can not get this to work at all. I have to be honest and state that my fanediting endeavor has been damaged somewhat since my mediafire account was suspended and now I just can't get to grips with this Usenet thing..... :( I shall try and persevere though.

PM me with any specific questions and I'll see if I can help walk you through it.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In my ongoing series of shameless plugs for free and open source usenet software, the time has come for mentioning that Sabnzbd now has a built-in completion checker (must be toggled in settings) that checks availability before it starts. In other words, no need for extra tools just for this task anymore.

Note: this way, a lot of downloads will fail upon check because Sab needs a post to be 100.5 percent complete before it starts. In my experience, though, it will only really need 100 percent, and if you have extra PAR2 files, not even that. If it fails with, say, the message "only 100.1 available", I would just force a retry. It almost always works.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good to know! Thanks for sharing!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
In my ongoing series of shameless plugs for free and open source usenet software, the time has come for mentioning that Sabnzbd now has a built-in completion checker (must be toggled in settings) that checks availability before it starts. In other words, no need for extra tools just for this task anymore.

Note: this way, a lot of downloads will fail upon check because Sab needs a post to be 100.5 percent complete before it starts. In my experience, though, it will only really need 100 percent, and if you have extra PAR2 files, not even that. If it fails with, say, the message "only 100.1 available", I would just force a retry. It almost always works.

Where is this setting? I'm not seeing it.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was added in one of the 0.7.0 betas, can't remember which. Are you on Sabnzbd 0.7.0 beta1 or newer? It's beta-only because it's still considered an "experimental" feature, although I've never had a problem with a Sab beta ever. It's probably more stable than the 0.6 family of releases.

orctin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Hoping someone might be able to help here.... I've uploaded my Jaws 3 Monster edit to USENET following the guide on this forum, and then I've tried to follow these downloading instructions but unfortunately I keep getting the following error...

"Download failed out of your servers retention"

When I put my mouse pointer over the failed file, it states 10171 articles are missing. The thing is, when I check Newsrover it appears that my files have been uploaded successfully. So I'm a bit stuck as to why I'm having this problem. Could it be because as I uploaded them about 10 hours ago, that they're not yet ready for download?

Any help would be appreciated.

Getting this message when trying to grab off usenet.

Have servers setup (signed up with the free account) and tested connection and all seems good - it acts like it's working and downloading fine then gives that message as an error

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
orctin said:
Getting this message when trying to grab off usenet.

Have servers setup (signed up with the free account) and tested connection and all seems good - it acts like it's working and downloading fine then gives that message as an error

Are you getting the missing articles message, or the out of server's retention message? And what site are you trying to grab this from? Is it an actual site, or a search engine?

Spaldron

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can someone please explain NZB's to me? Is this another thing I have to install before using Usenet?

So far I've installed SABnzbd and hooked it up with my free xsusenet account. So what do I do now?

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
in the process of losing my usenet virginity.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
damn. i knew something would go wrong. one of my usenet girlfriends has herpes. :-(

so i DLed half the RARs i need with usenetstorm's freebie trial. but i can't DL the rest b/c i don't have a premium acct. well and good; i'm just trying to learn my way around usenet.

so i get sabnzdb up and running for the remainder of the files and go to sleep. it's going to take a while, since my connection is pokey. i wake up to. . . all those sabnzdb-DLed RARs nonexistent. i guess there are some "clean up" functions that got all dutiful on me, and not having been able to join all the RARs (because only half the necessary RARs were in the DL folder), sabnzdb went ahead and deleted them. what a waste of time & bandwidth.

now i know better. messed with the configurations, and now the program should let me manually handle the unzipping, unRARing, and deleting. . . i hope.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Guide updated with configuration to prevent compressed files from being deleted. Thanks to ssj for pointing this out in the previous post.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
damn. i knew something would go wrong. one of my usenet girlfriends has herpes. :-(

so i DLed half the RARs i need with usenetstorm's freebie trial. but i can't DL the rest b/c i don't have a premium acct. well and good; i'm just trying to learn my way around usenet.

so i get sabnzdb up and running for the remainder of the files and go to sleep. it's going to take a while, since my connection is pokey. i wake up to. . . all those sabnzdb-DLed RARs nonexistent. i guess there are some "clean up" functions that got all dutiful on me, and not having been able to join all the RARs (because only half the necessary RARs were in the DL folder), sabnzdb went ahead and deleted them. what a waste of time & bandwidth.

now i know better. messed with the configurations, and now the program should let me manually handle the unzipping, unRARing, and deleting. . . i hope.

nice catch, ssj. I was noticing similar issues with the PAR2 files and realized that some of the default "cleanup settings" with sabnzdb suck. But I hadn't had a chance to re-try to confirm it was working properly with all that shit unchecked.

Top Bottom