• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

GUIDE: How to Download from Usenet

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can you select where the files go or do they just go to "downloads"?

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
on my mac, they just get downloaded to the desktop, although there might be an option to choose folders. maybe on PCs you can direct them elsewhere?

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okie doke, Ill have to try it out then, thanks man! :)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sabp.jpg

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I meant for usenetstorm. :)

EDIT: Unless one uses both through sabnzbd?

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
may the usenet gods float alongside thy ass.

-----

kunfeshunz:

i was a usenetard until captain khajiit authored then put other formats of my edit on usenet. thought i'd use the opportunity to figure this shit out so i could DL the DVD and HD versions of my own fanedit.

basic n00b-2-n00b tip: don't even begin to worry about ULing; just focus on learning to DL and the problem looks more manageable.

and one man's experience: creating a torrent to upload has been spankingly more confusing than downloading from usenet.

so courage, mate.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
I meant for usenetstorm. :)

EDIT: Unless one uses both through sabnzbd?

My apologies. I didn't realize you were referring to usenetstorm, thought you were talking about the program itself. I have no idea how that would work though since usenetstorm is apparently web-based. I'll shut up now. :lol:

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No worries frantic. :)

Thanks for the tip, ssj. :)

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
and one man's experience: creating a torrent to upload has been spankingly more confusing than downloading from usenet.

Yep. Many people are intimidated by Usenet, but it's no more difficult than configuring jdownloader, in my opinion.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Yep. Many people are intimidated by Usenet, but it's no more difficult than configuring jdownloader, in my opinion.

I think it's just the initial reaction to any new program. Once you've got it figured out you can't believe you ever had trouble understanding it in the first place.

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My experience with the Usenet was that it took more than a week to download 8gigs of data on the free service, only to have the download fail at the end.

So I put my hand in my pocket and signed up at NewsDemon and it's taking mere hours to download and the speed is fantastic.

Very happy I did this. Thanks for the guide. Very helpful and easy to follow. Two thumbs up.

Now to figure out how to upload...

lummie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey everyone,
Just like to start by saying Big fan of the site and have really enjoyed seeing my first fan edit. A question I had was in regard to usenet files. I have subscribed to easynews but a number of the rar files are missing or deleted. The posting day was only in May so is there any reason its no longer available? And if its gone is there any way to find these files as I subscribe to the site.

Thanks!:)

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you using the web interface? Easynews only has 200 day retention that way.

lummie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wabid said:
Are you using the web interface? Easynews only has 200 day retention that way.
Yeah I was using the archive section but with what you are mentioning should I download a standalone news reader?

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Quick question for you guys, which usenet service is best for grabbing older fanedits nowadays?

I'm attempting to download an older edit that I need to replace, and with giganews I get the dreaded
Download failed - Out of your server's retention?

Usenetstorm is mentioned in the thread, but it seems to have gone the way of the Dodo; so before I sign up to a hundred different trials Id like to know if theres a preferred option for our purposes.

TIA

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used NewsDemon last year and I was able to download all the old stuff no problem.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
NewsDemon also offers block accounts (10G for $2.00).
Cheap way to test drive.

Top Bottom