• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

GUIDE: How to Download from Usenet

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
glad i could warn others.

what's worse is that you have to configure the program each time you use it, in my limited experience.

a program that doesn't remember preferences? bad robot! i feel like i'm back in the '80s, but at least back then, you expected your computer wouldn't remember jack when you turned it on.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's remembers my preferences. Are you saving them?

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
glad i could warn others.

what's worse is that you have to configure the program each time you use it, in my limited experience.

a program that doesn't remember preferences? bad robot! i feel like i'm back in the '80s, but at least back then, you expected your computer wouldn't remember jack when you turned it on.
That sounds more like some security/privacy setting issue with whatever internet browser you are using.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i've only used the program twice, so i'm still learning my way. i did save my preferences the second time (and i thought i did the first time; otherwise i wouldn't have been able to prevent erasure), so i'll check when i get home to see whether it's behaving.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not trying to be arrogant or fanboyish, but I consider myself quite versed in the ways of nzbs and the like, and all the problems people experience here are new to me and sound really confusing.

First of all, Sabnzbd definitely remembers preferences. I've used stables and betas, on both Windows and various GNU/Linuces, and never had a problem. I did have a problem with Chrome not saving a pref once because it failed to authenticate my Sab password after I'd changed it on a different computer. This is a Chrome issue, not a Sab issue. Firefox worked.

Secondly, why are you downloading separate RARs? Isn't the point of nzb files to get a handy package of all the RARs you need? I'm confused.

Also, deleting the RARs after successfully unpacking is a very welcome option in my opinion, and it should definitely be the default. The keyword here is "successfully". The only time I ever see RAR files is if pieces were missing from usenet and Sab couldn't get enough repair blocks. Then I look for PAR2 files and retry from within Sab if I find them (if not, I'm screwed no matter which app I use). I do a lot of automated downloading, and keeping RARs would fill up my HD in a week. I literally never have a problem with setting Sab to autodelete RARs.

Did these problems arise because you downloaded half the FE with one app and half with another?

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
Did these problems arise because you downloaded half the FE with one app and half with another?

yup. i'm new to usenet and testing the waters, so i DLed some RARs with one provider, some RARs with another. if i were DLing the whole shebang, i wouldn't mind a clean-up function.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
i wouldn't have been able to prevent erasure

If only.

I actually own several Erasure albums from the 80's.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Always wondered what that band meant by its name.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
If only.

I actually own several Erasure albums from the 80's.

Nothing wrong with Erasure although the Abba and Steve Harley covers were largely unnecessary.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Trying to figure this out make my head go BOOM!
Will try again later, after i put my head back together.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:lol: It's all in a day's work for your Friendly Neighborhood Canadian. :lol:

buddharocket

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I finally kind of figured this out I get:

Using free.xsusenet.com

Q2_FOTJ_EP1_AVCHD_720p_DVD9_v2 - Download failed - Out of your server's retention?
Downloaded in 23 minutes 41 seconds at an average of 445 B/s
13746 articles were missing

:-(

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
buddharocket said:
So I finally kind of figured this out I get:

Using free.xsusenet.com

Q2_FOTJ_EP1_AVCHD_720p_DVD9_v2 - Download failed - Out of your server's retention?
Downloaded in 23 minutes 41 seconds at an average of 445 B/s
13746 articles were missing

:-(

With xsUsenet's free service you can only download stuff that is 10 days old or newer so that's why you got the "Out of your server's retention" message.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I believe the free version of xsusenet only has a retention of 15 days. I realize a lot of people don't want to pay for access to services, but usenet is extremely cheap (as little as $2 for 10GB) and well worth the few bucks to avoid headaches. Sorry I can't be more helpful then that.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
try usenetstorm.com.

it's free and web-based, so you don't need client software. there's no 10-day retention limitation, which is awesome. but for non-paying users, there are limitations:

you can only download 500MB (actually, 500 million bytes) at a time and only 1GB per day.

think you can download 5x100MB pieces at once? you can't. that's because 100MB = approx 104 million bytes. 104 million x 5 = approx 520 million bytes, so the server makes you talk to the hand. if your NZB specifies 4x100MB, then you're good to go.

after more than a week of daily use (i forget the exact number of days), the service gets pissy and prohibits you from downloading more than 100MB per day, unless you become a paying user. after i avoided usenetstorm for more than a week, the prohibition was lifted, and i could go back to downloading up to 1GB per day.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Think I'll stick with XSusenet instead. I can deal with the 10 day limitations and slower speed for free users, but usenetstorm's limitations are just insane and don't seem worth it. Also, XSusenet's switch to a 10-day limitation is recent. When I first started using XSusenet there was no time period limitations. I was able to download a file that was almost 1000 days old.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i use xsusenet for newer stuff and usenetstorm for older stuff.

@ 800MB per night, i should be finished DLing Q2's ep III 720 edit before the end of the month. :cry:

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
and usenetstorm for older stuff.

Probably a really, really, reallyreallyreally dumb question but, got any tips for using this? No really. :)

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This might help you conceptualize the downloading of usenet files:

An nzb is the equivalent of a dlc.

Feeding a dlc into jdownloader is analogous to feeding an nzb into a usenet client. The nzb merely specifies which file pieces you're going to DL.

Top Bottom