• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

GUIDE: How to Download from Usenet

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
does anyone know of any other free news group providers other than UX usnet since that just does not seem to work (check the links in post #12)

Strange that it's not working for you. I used it just today and had no problems with it, other than with what I was downloading, but that's only because the site I was using just moved to a different drive and some of the older NZB's are experiencing problems because of it.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do you maybe have SSL checked in your usenet program? Not sure if the free version of UX supports SSL.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why do you guys keep calling it "UX Usenet"? when it's called "XS Usenet"?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Why do you guys keep calling it "UX Usenet"? when it's called "XS Usenet"?

Because that's what I called it in the guide. That will have to be fixed.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Because that's what I called it in the guide. That will have to be fixed.

I never noticed. :lol: The nitpicker in me also wants to point out that you called it "SABnzdg" instead of "SABnzdb" in your first post.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
I never noticed. :lol: The nitpicker in me also wants to point out that you called it "SABnzdg" instead of "SABnzdb" in your first post.

No I didn't. :whistle:

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
That's a terrible bug, and I'm sorry to hear all your files were lost! I've amended the guide with your warning so others won't have the same thing happen.

Or just use GrabIt...

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Do you maybe have SSL checked in your usenet program? Not sure if the free version of UX supports SSL.

with our without SSL checked it comes back with either connection reset, connection timed out or connection refused. With and without my router still get one of the three. So if I input the info into SAB it gives me one of those messages.

When I would then try to go to one of the two pages via the links in post #12 it gave connection reset reply. Only once did it actually show it connect and that was it. No idea from this point on which is why I asked about another possible free agent to use. I know many years ago someone was nice enough to temporarily give me a name and password to log onto some binary news group to grab some files and that worked fine. Perhaps my ISP or location has something to do with it

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why would you do it this way when SABnzbd can repair a corrupted download with extra PAR2 files? Isn't it better to use one tool? Add to that, SAB is open source and cross-platform and updated on a monthly basis while QuickPar is Windows-only and hasn't been updated in 8 years.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
Why would you do it this way when SABnzbd can repair a corrupted download with extra PAR2 files? Isn't it better to use one tool? Add to that, SAB is open source and cross-platform and updated on a monthly basis while QuickPar is Windows-only and hasn't been updated in 8 years.

Well I don't use SABnzbd, I use GrabIt.

And I'm still an incredible fucking n00b when it comes to usenet and shit so any new information that I understand is the most amazing shit ever.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Well I don't use SABnzbd, I use GrabIt.

And I'm still an incredible fucking n00b when it comes to usenet and shit so any new information that I understand is the most amazing shit ever.
Hehe. Gotcha. Well, I'm a big SABnzbd fan, so that's why I'm wondering why anyone would bother using anything else. It has every feature I want and then some: nzb watch folders (I use dropbox to add from anywhere, even from my phone), auto-repair (if there are enough blocks), manual repair (if there are separate par2 sets available), post-download scripts galore (like the excellent SickBeard and CouchPotato integration), automatic priority settings based on categories or groups, pause of downloads for x minues, speed limit scheduling etc etc. And it's free and open source and with an active support forum.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good to know. GrabIt may have similar features I'm not aware of. I should check out SAB to see how it runs compared to GrabIt.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Isn't SAB the program that potentially wipes out all your files (referred to earlier in the thread), or is that a different program?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Isn't SAB the program that potentially wipes out all your files (referred to earlier in the thread), or is that a different program?

Yes it is, but that was if the download folder is set to the Desktop, which I'm pretty sure you can change.

Anyway, GrabIt automatically makes a "GrabIt Downloads" folder for you. I use Windows 7 and it put it in my Downloads folder.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Yes it is, but that was if the download folder is set to the Desktop, which I'm pretty sure you can change.

When you install SABndzb it asks you were you want your downloads to be saved so be sure to check where the save location is before just accepting. I already had a Downloads folder that was created when I installed uTorrent so it automatically chose that folder as the folder to save my Usenet downloads to. If, however, you didn't check where it selected to save your downloads you can change it. Just be sure to do it before downloading anything in case it selected your Desktop as the save location.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
finally got this crap working using grabit. Really it was the sites error. The UX site sent me the email with info and had them as Http links. Even copying the name and or link did not work. So I went to their main site to see if logging in from there and then running the news group reader would work. What I noticed is that it has it listed without the Http (like this free.xsusenet.com) so I wrote it that way in grabit and it connected. --WOOO

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
finally got this crap working using grabit. Really it was the sites error. The UX site sent me the email with info and had them as Http links. Even copying the name and or link did not work. So I went to their main site to see if logging in from there and then running the news group reader would work. What I noticed is that it has it listed without the Http (like this free.xsusenet.com) so I wrote it that way in grabit and it connected. --WOOO

Glad you finally got it running. :)

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Glad you finally got it running. :)

Boy is the free road slow, signed up for a NON-renew account on newsdemon. Rather pay as I need than have them always bill me and sooo much faster

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hoping someone might be able to help here.... I've uploaded my Jaws 3 Monster edit to USENET following the guide on this forum, and then I've tried to follow these downloading instructions but unfortunately I keep getting the following error...

"Download failed out of your servers retention"

When I put my mouse pointer over the failed file, it states 10171 articles are missing. The thing is, when I check Newsrover it appears that my files have been uploaded successfully. So I'm a bit stuck as to why I'm having this problem. Could it be because as I uploaded them about 10 hours ago, that they're not yet ready for download?

Any help would be appreciated.

Top Bottom